• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baby Lamb Kidneys?

Bicycle Lee

Anyone ever cooked with baby lamb kidneys? Other than kidney pie, what do you recommend? What flavors pair well besides brandy, cognac, vermouth and wine? I work for a distributor of specialty meats and game and we have a nine pound bag to sell and I want to know how I should sell it to chefs. We also have bone-in lamb legs, so I might try and sell both together and suggest a two-way...

Edited by Bicycle Lee (log)

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

I have to go look the recipe up, but my grandmother used to take some olive oil, lemon juice and parsley and put it over the kidneys and then stick it in the oven until tender and done. The lemon just adds a nice touch to the tender lamb. You can also do that with lamb tongue and it is really good. A good red wine works well with this. I like Cline Zinfendal or their Syrah. It should be a good wine, with lots of berry flavors.

Kidneys from a young animal need to be seared and served rare. A mustard sauce or similar to go with. Most lamb is already very young and true 'baby' lamb is very rare(no pun). Typically lamb or veal kidneys are served along with sausage of the same meat and a chop as a 'mixed grill'. -Dick

Kidneys from a young animal need to be seared and served rare. A mustard sauce or similar to go with. Most lamb is already very young and true 'baby' lamb is very rare(no pun). Typically lamb or veal kidneys are served along with sausage of the same meat and a chop as a 'mixed grill'. -Dick

exactly...I know they're rare because we're getting them as fodder from the baby lamb saddles, a product we're selling to a top restaurant who is the only restaurant in the country receiving this item.

The lambs are slaughtered at no more than 50 pounds...we saw some as small as 40.

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

A boneless stuffed saddle of lamb is one of the most sublime dishes that one can make and eat. The saddle is stuffed with the lamb tenderloin and a lamb mousse. It must be browned in the correct sequence to assure that the tenderloin is still rare. -Dick

The kidneys can be seared quickly over a very high heat in clarified butter, tossed with lemon zest and a bit of chopped garlic, salt, freshly ground black pepper in the pan then deglaze with marsala. Serve with a generous amount of minced parsley on top. Yum.

"Rognoni Trifolati".

For the last few years, i have been getting baby lambs from a local producer (I am a home cook, not a chef). The kidneys I usually prepare like veal kidneys: sautéed in butter, flambéed with cognac, finished with cream. Excellent!