• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caramel Almond Paste..

Natho

I make my own almond paste pretty simply just from a sugar syrup of white sugar and water, cooked to softball and then put in a food processor with pre processed almonds. Now I had a thought about using brown sugar and maybe a bit of butter to make a caramel/toffe/butterscotch whatever almond paste. My question is, how will it affect the process using brown or dark brown sugar (muscovado for some people) and would i just cook it to the same temp on the sugar thermometer? Would the extra mollasses content cause it to burn easier?

"Alternatively, marry a good man or woman, have plenty of children, and train them to do it while you drink a glass of wine and grow a moustache." -Moby Pomerance

I make my own almond paste pretty simply just from a sugar syrup of white sugar and water, cooked to softball and then put in  a food processor with pre processed almonds. Now I had a thought about using brown sugar and maybe a bit of butter to make a caramel/toffe/butterscotch whatever almond paste. My question is, how will it affect the process using brown or dark brown sugar (muscovado for some people) and would i just cook it to the same temp on the sugar thermometer? Would the extra mollasses content cause it to burn easier?

Cooked to softball I don't think you would risk burning it. Should be interesting, give it a try and let us know how it works (and tastes).

I will do this thing, in the name of scientific discovery (and my tastebuds). Extra brainwave just recieved, some spiced rum would i think be very good in the almond caramel fusion.

"Alternatively, marry a good man or woman, have plenty of children, and train them to do it while you drink a glass of wine and grow a moustache." -Moby Pomerance

Does anybody know if soft ball is the same temp for all sugar?

Well I did it tonight. First off I had trouble with my sugar syrup, it kept frothing and rising up and I had to stand there and take it off the stove about every 30 seconds so it didn't boil over. A bigger pot may have helped. Dunno. I've never had it do that before when working with white or castor sugar. I had to have the temp down so low that it took about 30 minutes to get even near soft ball. Anyway, i roasted the almonds a little too long because they have a bit too much of a roasted flavour for what I wanted to use it for. And at the end of the day, the brown sugar just gave it a mollasas (spelling??) taste. Not bad overall, but better when done with regular sugar. Does anybody know if it is possible to toast almond meal? I can't get my almonds fine enough to get a good smooth texture in my almond paste but store bought almond meal is very fine and good for the texture I want.

Well I did it tonight. First off I had trouble with my sugar syrup, it kept frothing and rising up and I had to stand there and take it off the stove about every 30 seconds so it didn't boil over. A bigger pot may have helped. Dunno. I've never had it do that before when working with white or castor sugar. I had to have the temp down so low that it took about 30 minutes to get even near soft ball. Anyway, i roasted the almonds a little too long because they have a bit too much of a roasted flavour for what I wanted to use it for. And at the end of the day, the brown sugar just gave it a mollasas (spelling??) taste. Not bad overall, but better when done with regular sugar. Does anybody know if it is possible to toast almond meal? I can't get my almonds fine enough to get a good smooth texture in my almond paste but store bought almond meal is very fine and good for the texture I want.

Ah yes brown sugar contains a lot more 'impurities' and bubbles up a lot more than white sugar.

If I was going to try to toast almond meal I'd probably go with a really low temperature cause it's going to burn easily around the edges. You might try a bit in the microwave first, high power, stir frequently, wait for the toasted smell to tell you it's done.

As an aside, praline paste is made with caramelized sugar and toasted almonds/hazelnuts. It's a smooth, pourable, oilier texture than almond paste (which is heavier, moldable) but a nice flavor. I've made this with cashews and it is fabulous.

I'm keen to make some praline paste. I believe there is a tutorial on here for it. But I make my almond paste and flavour it with varying forms of alcohol and roll it up and coat it in chocolate. So I do need a firmer product. Thanks for the tip on the almond meal Kerry, I think I'll have a crack at that soon.

I bought some almond butter that I plan to use to make almond paste. It isn't as fresh obviously as almonds I roast myself, but it is finely ground already. Does anyone know if I should include all the fat, which has separated, and mix it all together or just use the mealy part without the separated fat?