• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Willamette Wine Country Restaurants

We are headed down to our 4th year of t-day weekend wine tasting in north willamette and are interested in any new dining finds (in the McMinnville area). We generally eat at Tina's and at Bistro Maison. We have been to Joel Palmers a few times and are not really interested in going again. We had dinner once at Nick's about 4 yrs ago and weren't impressed, maybe it was an off night? We have seen write ups on Cuvee, La Rambla and the French Bear. I think we are sold on Bistro Maison one night, we have one more to fill..... your recommendations?

Wendy,

You can't go wrong with Cuvee as they have pretty good food at reasonable prices. You will have to make reservations for Thanksgiving weekend ASAP as the wine scene in Carlton has exploded this past year (more tasting rooms every time you turn around). I'm helping friends pour their wine a couple of doors away (Dalla Vina-great, bold and amazing) and reserving now. Tina's has been hit-and-miss lately and our last meal there was acceptable, but not exceptional. The French Bear was recently sold and the jury is still out. If you're interested in some good food consider The Painted Lady in Newberg. It's a tasting menu with innovative and extremely well prepared food.

I second the consideration of the Painted Lady in Newberg. In my one experience the food was very well prepared, of fresh and local ingredients with a (naturally enough) well-informed wine list. Though I'm not sure I found the preparations that innovative myself, I certainly have had very good and enjoyable meals there. The atmosphere is pleasing and the service is very personable. It has certainly become one of the more frequently recommended dining spots among local winemakers.

Another winemaker favorite is the Dundee Bistro. I have had some excellent lunches there, but have not had dinner under the current chef, so cannot give an informed opinion, though it is a place to consider. Cuvee is also an excellent choice.

We enjoyed Tina's and Joel Palmer House this past summer. I'll second the suggestion for the Dundee Bistro, very nice ambiance and great food. While we were tasting at Domaine Serene, the staff there was raving about Painted Lady. It's #1 on our list of new places to try in the area. :cool:

We enjoyed Tina's and Joel Palmer House this past summer.  I'll second the suggestion for the Dundee Bistro, very nice ambiance and great food.  While we were tasting at Domaine Serene, the staff there was raving about Painted Lady.  It's #1 on our list of new places to try in the area.    :cool:

We aren't really fans of Joel Palmer House- have been a few times in years past. It's just a bit dated for us now. Dundee Bistro is a typical stop for lunch on the way in for us.

Have done Tina's quite a few times and am looking for something different (especially if they are slipping)

Thanks for the suggestions. I wish someone had been to La Ramblas! I'd love to mix it up with french one night and spanish the next!

I've been wanting someone I know to try the Painted Lady....so c'mon, take one for the team! :laugh:

I'm glad someone else doesn't particularly love the JP House, I thought there was something wrong with me.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I've been wanting someone I know to try the Painted Lady....so c'mon, take one for the team!  :laugh:

I'm glad someone else doesn't particularly love the JP House, I thought there was something wrong with me.

well there is....... but it has nothing to do with the restaurant! :raz:

well the others that I'm dining with are pretty stuck on the tapas so I think that will be it this time.... however I've got Painted Lady on the list for "very soon!"

well there is....... but it has nothing to do with the restaurant!  :raz:

:sobbing uncontrollably:

[set you up for that one, didn't I?]

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

• 1 month later...

Wendy, where did you end up eating?

We were tasting on the Friday (sorry for belated report!) and we ate plenty at several wineries, but also finished out day with tapas at La Rambla - it was fun and some of the food was really good - e.g. calamari and mushrooms soup was really good after we sent it back to be heated up ... tortilla was delicious! Crayons were a big hit (no children at our table!). The sauces were good, one was with the fried potatoes, and one with the calamari ... hmmn, we managed to eat some other stuff ... but what? Drinks were also good - why were we drinking and maybe that explains the bad cold i came down with!