• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snack Bar!

Lateralus

3 march 2008. tasting menu.

$120/pp includes wine, tax and gratuity.

menu:

1. mushroom yeast broth. licorice blackberries. beans & lemon.

2. flat tomato round. horseradish. celery vodka.

3. red snapper. mangetout puree. white asparagus. fermented cranberry.

4. teardrop baby chicken. butternut syrup. coffee & pears.

5. reblochon. white chocolate skin. date-tamarind.

6. chocolate creme brulee. banana consomme. peanut butter.

wines forthcoming.

please email ed@phillysnackbar.com or call 215.545.5655.

space is limited! please join us!

jmac

Katie/jmac - is it okay to post the menu for snackbar's May 6th dinner with Pierre Robert?

You needn't ask me. I've got nothing to do with this administration of this board.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

unfortunately, the pierre robert dinner has been cancelled.

brunch also will not be happening until maybe the end of may.

sorry guys! its the notoriously unpredictable nature of the restaurant business.

"the soul contains three elements in dining: to feel, to remember, to imagine." --andoni luiz aduriz

• 2 weeks later...
unfortunately, the pierre robert dinner has been cancelled.

brunch also will not be happening until maybe the end of may.

sorry guys! its the notoriously unpredictable nature of the restaurant business.

Time to vent.

I left three messages at snackbar over the past week to make reservations for four for tonight (4/27). No calls back despite a very pleasant voice message that they return calls promptly. Another call was answered last night but I was told no reservations were taken for parties of less than six. The person was clearly busy and rushed so I left it at that. Still, it didn't sound right so I called back today and was told they'd be "glad to hold a table for four" for tonight. They didn't ask for my name or any identifying information.

The food sounds terrific and I love supporting Philadelphia's restaurants, but I'm going to give someone else my hard-earned money.

FWIW, the website and voice mail indicates brunch is served Saturday and Sunday even though it's not.

Edited by Mano (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

• 3 weeks later...

Phoodie.info has a video interview with chef Jonny Mac on their site.

Not really great timing, given that Drew Lazor reported that May 10 was the chef's last day at snackbar.

We popped-in a few days before that, hoping to grab one more dose of Jonny Mac food, but it was feeling kind of in-transition already. Not sure what the plan is, the Lazor article said there'd be new chef info shortly...

In any case, best wishes to chef McDonald, we selfishly hope he'll land somewhere local soon!

And fingers crossed that Jonathan Makar can find someone interesting to fill those big shoes.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Bummer! This is another place that I didn't get to in time. Johnny Mac is doing some of the more interesting preparations out there. I look forward to checking out where he ends up next.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

That tiny space has always been a rough sell. Not big enough to have sufficient bar seats to drive revenue, too small to turn enough dinner tables. It might be imploding under the ponderous weight of hefty rent and not enough ducats to pay it. Wouldn't be the first time. I hope not, but this seems like a death knell.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol