• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snack Bar!

Lateralus

The menu looks great to me. I wish i could be there. The corkage, while not cheap, really isn't bad for a tasting menu. I think it probably is designed to allow people to bring wines to pair with each course, while allowing this small restaurant some leeway in providing the service and glassware. This is a a very much different situation than going to an a la carte restaurant with a bottle of wine to split. In that circumstance, I agree the charge would be excessive. For this, I would pay it happily.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

The corkage, while not cheap, really isn't bad for a tasting menu. I think it probably is designed to allow people to bring wines to pair with each course, while allowing this small restaurant some leeway in providing the service and glassware. This is a a very much different situation than going to an a la carte restaurant with a bottle of wine to split. In that circumstance, I agree the charge would be excessive. For this, I would pay it happily.

Good point. If they are going to provide new glasses for each wine, etc., I agree that the charge would not be excessive. I hadn't thought of it in terms of wine pairing.

The idea is to allow for tables to bring in multiple bottles and not have to pay for each one. Because it's a 7-course menu the presumption has to be that tables will bring more than 2 bottles and therefore the corkage fee per person will be less punitive than if it were assigned by bottle.

One could also order what they're selling, you know, it is a business that sells food and drink. We forget that here in Philly sometimes...

I really do not think he is going for the BYOB crowd.  I agree with Doc on this one. 

I could polish off one bottle of wine myself in the span of 7 courses.

So, in allowing you to Bring Your Own Bottle, he's not going for the BYOB crowd? An interesting theory.

A menu like this - most likely the same thought will go into their wine pairings as the food items.  Best to savor the whole experience as Snack Bar intends.

Maybe I misread, but I don't think they're offering any set wine pairings. That's what Matt was lamenting. Their regular wine/beer list and bar are open, but that's it.

Good point Holly, The menu does not read crab cakes and ceasar salad, so I believe the difficulty of the menu should be determinate.

I reread the announcement - no wine pairings menu is mentioned. As Tim Dolan previously pointed out, there should be. Hard to believe that Snack Bar would not put together a pairings menu for the dinner.

Edited to add: Semi-simultaneously posted with HD73's post.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

One of the many elements that made Studio Kitchen great was the opportunity to match one's own wines with the food, especially with the advance notice that a set menu provides. I would think that there would be (or at least should be) plenty of wine and food afficionados salivating to jump all over this. Another thing to consider is that the 7 course tasting menu is only $70pp. Now I have yet to eat at Snackbar and I don't know the extent of their wine cellar or access to wines, but if the comments in this topic and others from people whose palates I know and trust are any indication, that meal will be an absolute steal!

That being said, a restaurant provided wine pairing - even a modest one- would be a nice option for those without the wherewithal to bring their own wines.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Thank you Doc.

Honestly... this is not geared to the average BYOB crowd. This is geared to Foodies that enjoy great food and great wine, but they have a limited wine menu to pair with the courses at the restaurant. This is not a gimmick or a way to drum up business. This is geared for people who want to eat "studio kitchen" style menu, within restaurant. It is also geared for those who pine about the lack of creativity in Philadelphia. I commend Snackbar for their creativity in making a restaurant that does not swim with salmon. So eat your tart, and sprinkle some grains of paradise. Let's talk about the menu.

THAT IS AN INTERSTING THEORY.

I don't understand. Snackbar is doing seven courses of interesting food. Snackbar is offering the opportunity to bring wine to their establishment for a SPECIAL EVENT (unlike the other places who have no corkage nights to build business on SLOW nights). If you are going to enjoy the experience, shouldn't you bring 5 or so different wines? Corkage for a six-top would be $120. A tasting of any quality is going to run $65-$85 a head to match each course. In any other restaurant that is capable of doing a tasting of this length, quality, and ambition, the markup on wine would make this discussion moot. Bring what you like, bring your friends, bring wine with no markup, just bring $20 so they can continue to provide Philadelphia with unique forward-looking food.

sheesh!

just want to cook guys. i have plenty of arguments but i feel that matt, tod and doc have all touched on sufficient topics. we might add a wine pairing. however, we know that many of you have unique cellars and preferences. being enthusiasts, we want to leave it up to you.

it's about the food really. if everyone is content with the current offerings of the 3,642 byobs then i applaude you. they make it very easy to drink well and have a good meal.

my food is not better. it's just different. we are slipping into a 'cookie cutter city'.

SOMEONE PLEASE JOIN THE REVOLUTION!!!!

risk=some failures=some successes=some change

my recipes are open. my kitchen door is open. my mouth is open. lets eat!

"the soul contains three elements in dining: to feel, to remember, to imagine." --andoni luiz aduriz

sheesh!

just want to cook guys. i have plenty of arguments but i feel that matt, tod and doc have all touched  on sufficient topics. we might add a wine pairing. however, we know that many of you have unique cellars and preferences. being enthusiasts, we want to leave it up to you.

it's about the food really. if everyone is content with the current offerings of the 3,642 byobs then i applaude you. they make it very easy to drink well and have a good meal.

my food is not better. it's just different. we are slipping into a 'cookie cutter city'.

SOMEONE PLEASE JOIN THE REVOLUTION!!!!

risk=some failures=some successes=some change

my recipes are open. my kitchen door is open. my mouth is open. lets eat!

I like your style, man.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

chicken wing confit. eggplant. white chocolate-goat cheese.

Major kudos to anyone who comes up with a successful pairing for this course.

I'm thinking Chenin Blanc. Maybe a sparkling Vouvray?

Or to take a radical left turn - Gruner Veltliner....

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

katie.........love the vouvray. one of my faves right now is bordeaux blanc from ed addiss. its a blend of sauvignon blanc, semillion and muscadel. sick stuff.

matt.........deconstructed treacle tart in homage to english grandmothers as brought to my attention by paul liebrandt. treacle (as you know) is a syrup similiar to molasses. there are a number of varities and flavors (think honey with all its strains and developments). the treacle tart seems to be a loose for-runner of the pennsylvania dutch shoefly pie.

elements:

lyle's golden syrup treacle

samuel smith's chocolate stout in the manifestation of ice cream

earl grey tea as an infusion with sugar and egg whites via an isi foamer

shortbread crumble

flavors:

sweet

bitter

buttery

tannic

salty

the end result is very satisfying and familiar, albeit with different textures. cheers.

"the soul contains three elements in dining: to feel, to remember, to imagine." --andoni luiz aduriz

ok i'm in. as a person with a minimal cellar (it's currently nonexistent - my efforts have recently focused on filling a liquor cabinet) i'll have to look to pair up with someone else. please PM me if you're looking for two dining partners (me and karen) and you can provide some wine!

how many can the restaurant seat and are there seatings or are the time slots all open?

Edited by mattohara (log)

--

matt o'hara

finding philly

restaurant seats 40. we are devising a split seating, ie we have some guests already booked who are nonaffilliated with each other and we will seat them early.

after a reservation is made via jam@phillysnackbar.com, you will be contacted that same day about the timeframe.

my experience from marigold kitchen (please keep going there......if you haven't been recently then shame on you!) taught me that most people show up with a LOT of wine. one guy showed up with at least his weight in different bottles. this creates a ton of work, glass washing and organization on our part.

be patient....we will work something out to make everyone happy.

In case you missed Chef Johnny Mac earlier in the week, it was for good reason as he helped staff the prep kitchen at the Starchefs's 2nd Annual International Chefs Congress in NYC:

gallery_8158_5171_39586.jpg. Along with Chef Johnny are Chefs David Bouley and George Mendes who is the Culinary Director for the Congress.

Twitter - @docsconz