• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snack Bar!

Lateralus

Could we at least wait for the opening for the shilling to begin? :rolleyes:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Hate to sound out of the loop, but what's the Snack Bar????

Eileen

It's Jonathan Makar's new restaurant. He was the original manager of Marigold Kitchen. Location is the former Out of the Blue / Salt space.

Per Philly.com,

"Rittenhouse Square foodies have been champing at the bit to learn the name of the bistro under construction at 20th Street and Rittenhouse Square, in the space that was Salt and Out of the Blue. It'll be called Snackbar, with a menu that owner Jonathan Makar calls "progressive snacks." Opening is less than a month away, says Makar."

- KOBI

I'm eager to see the menu, but my sense is that the offerings will be a bit more substantial than the term "snacks" might suggest. I expect really interesting small-plates (sorry, I know that's a tired phrase) that one can snack on, or mix-up to make more of a meal. Rumors I've heard seem very promising...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Unless I'm confusing it with another restaurant, I think they have also obtained a liquor license, so I'd think it'd be more on the line of small plates rather than "snacks".

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Unless I'm confusing it with another restaurant, I think they have also obtained a liquor license, so I'd think it'd be more on the line of small plates rather than "snacks".

Karen -- they do have a liquor license -- last weekend on my way to the farmer's market in Rittenhouse Square I made a point of figuring out where snackbar is actually located (I always walk right by, distracted by the giant cheetah at Asta de Blue), and I saw the orange liquor license sign in the window.

Karen -- they do have a liquor license -- last weekend on my way to the farmer's market in Rittenhouse Square I made a point of figuring out where snackbar is actually located (I always walk right by, distracted by the giant cheetah at Asta de Blue), and I saw the orange liquor license sign in the window.

That would be a leopard, I believe.

snackbar will have a liquor license. Last I heard, they planned on being open breakfast through late night. Not sure if they'll change menu through the day or whether they'll have one broad menu for the whole day. Met the chef, ambling along with Jonathan. Seems a nice guy, and I recall being impressed with his background and ideas - though I cannot recall what they were.

Should at least be an interesting place, and actually not something we already have in the neighborhood.

We recently checked out the white-beer-braised pork belly served with poached egg and charred-onion broth."

I checked out the Snackbar with uncle phil tonight and indeeeeed the pork bellies were quite tasty. Before I expand ..........uncle Phil with the Paparazzi action ..........???

snackbar Nov 1, 2006

gallery_23992_3821_27603.jpg

brussels & truffles. marcona almonds.

gallery_23992_3821_33279.jpg

maitake. negra modelo broth. scallion.

gallery_23992_3821_18113.jpg

sweet corn. polenta. tallegio. oregano.

gallery_23992_3821_63427.jpg

black figs in red wine. goat milk. smoked salt.

gallery_23992_3821_579.jpg

apples. miso caramel. wasabi peas.

gallery_23992_3821_167216.jpg

mackerel. fennel. lemon. apple cider.

gallery_23992_3821_6858.jpg

ocean trout. vanilla pomme puree. cranberry.

gallery_23992_3821_47562.jpg

escargot skewers. butternut. walnuts

gallery_23992_3821_21422.jpg

chicken thighs. bbq. daikon.

gallery_23992_3821_45918.jpg

pork (beer) belly. slow egg. dashi

gallery_23992_3821_50625.jpg

gallery_23992_3821_111648.jpg

cheese: crozier. rocastin. chiantino. bouq emissaire.

gallery_23992_3821_49323.jpg

chocolate cake. licorice. malted coffee

gallery_23992_3821_75400.jpg

olive oil financier. white chocolate. rose.

gallery_23992_3821_23420.jpg

Once my head has cleared, I'll try to add details, but for now, I'll just say everything was amazingly delicious. Like, some of the best food I've had in a long time, and not just in Philly. Really.

Adventurous ideas, interesting combinations, assured execution. This is a really exciting new place. Lovely, warm, inviting look and feel to the space, good service.

They're BYOB until November 4, when they should have their liquor license.

Awesome place. Seriously.

Edited by philadining (log)

philadining.com

To ad to Phil....

Everything was indeed delicious with the highlights being pork belly, chicken, brussel sprouts, polenta and ocean trout. Apples with wasabi peas were a revelation and addictive.

Definitely a step in the right direction in Philadelphia. I would expect even better as the kitchen gets settled in.

In most cases, we ordered seconds and prices are completely reasonable.

Old macdonald may have had a farm.....but young macdonald worked on a farm in northern Spain and it clearly influenced his cooking.

Good stuff.

Pork belly smackdown ???

To ad to Phil....

Everything was indeed delicious with the highlights being pork belly, chicken, brussel sprouts, polenta and ocean trout. Apples with wasabi peas were a revelation and addictive.

Definitely a step in the right direction in Philadelphia. I would expect even better as the kitchen gets settled in.

In most cases, we ordered seconds and prices are completely reasonable.

Old macdonald may have had a farm.....but young macdonald worked on a farm in northern Spain and it clearly influenced his cooking.

Good stuff.

Pork belly smackdown ???

Do you have their phone number? What is the cross street? Thanks.

I'll basically agree with V. The pork belly was outrageous, but what really put it over the top was that amazing smoked onion dashi. The perfectly-textured spring egg didn't hurt either! We knew going in that we'd need multiples of this, we didn't even wait to try it, and we almost ordered more afterwards...

The Chicken was not especially unusual, just delicious, enough so that we ordered another.

The roasted Brussels Sprouts were quite tender and tasty, but the shavings of truffle and the almonds, gave them an extra dimension that elevated them beyond simple comfort food.

That roasted corn with tallegio and polenta was out of this world. It was a great combination of textures and flavors. The presentation is pretty wild, but I'm cool with that....

Due to this opening BYOB phase, we were drinking some of that magic Hermann Wiemer Gewurtztraminer (2005) that seems to go with almost everything, but it was just absolutely revelatory with the corn.

The ocean trout was absolutely perfectly cooked - silky, almost custardy in the tongue, its sweetness nicely balanced by the stripe of acidic cranberry. There was a brief fistfight over the satisfyingly crackly skin.

And those apples... what a fantastic combination of sweet and salt and spice and soft and crunch. I would be happy dropping by for a snack of these any time. I'd eat them for breakfast. I'd eat them alongside the pork bellies, or the trout, or anything. The flavor of the wasabi pea crust is more subtle than you'd expect, but it's just right, and the crispness is a great effect. I've decided that I'm coating everything in crushed wasabi peas from now on....

The figs with goat milk were fine, but the overall dish might be too subtle, or maybe the figs just aren't all that thrilling right now. Not bad, but the only thing all night that got a bit of a yawn.

But I'd like to give props to the broth on the mushroom, I could just drink mugs of that. The little gelatinous cubes of cider that accompanied the mackerel brightened the dish by exactly the right amount. The combination of butternut squash with escargot was lovely (and the snails were nicely tender too.) There was some longing for a few noodles in the broth that surrounded the pork belly, and that would indeed be delicious, but I suppose we're just locked into old patterns...

The cheeses were all very interesting, and accompanied by carefully-selected compliments. I especially liked the home-made mostardo that chaperoned the chiantino.

And the licorice overtones to the chocolate cake, along with the slightly salty malted coffee, elevated that dessert well above the same-old molten-center cake. Even so, the financier might have stolen the show, with its subtle flavors.

Almost everything displayed that rare combination of being interesting, surprising, and delicious. Can't ask for much more than that!

philadining.com

re prices:

veggies were $7 or 8

apples were a steal at $5

fish was $9-11

Chicken was $10, pork was $11

Cheeses were $3-4 each

Desserts were $5-6.

Again, these are small plates, but the prices seemed totally reasonable to me.

It's important to note that although we decadently rampaged through the entire menu, this is a limited, opening days selection, there'll be more on the menu eventually.

As for the crowds, it's a tiny place, but there were a few empty seats during most of the time we were there. I doubt that will be the case for long!! I'd go soon.

253 S. 20th St. (Between Locust and Spruce at the corner of... I can't remember)

There's no sign that I could see yet, but just look for the cool orange glow.

Edited by philadining (log)

philadining.com