• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Donut Wars

emhahn

Fresh Dunkin Donuts; I like the heavier style better. KrispyKremes are fun to get once in awhile.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Dunkin Donuts are not even advertised anymore, just their coffee, and other crap.

Most of the places here in Maine are usually out of donuts after 11 AM.

Glad !!

But missing Bess Eatons from Mass.

Maybe I'm relying on memories from too long ago...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I saw the news story about this "war" on the "Today" show this morning and I'm kind of puzzled.

Growing up in San Diego we had Dunkin' Donuts just about everywhere. But then they all closed. For a while it seemed you couldn't find a Dunkin' Donut west of the Mississippi.

Now they say they are expanding again. How will this time be different than before?

The news report stated that about 60% of their business is for coffee alone. A lot of people who grew up with DD are happy to see their return but is that enough?

Can a dount shop survive by selling coffee and nostalgia?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Well, I liked DD and their coconut macaroon and chocolate honey-dipped donuts, but then KK came to town and DD ran away, crying. But my favorite donuts, apple fritters from a hole-in-the-wall local store, Sugar and Spice Donuts, are no more because they apparently were driven out of business. So now it's almost KK by default.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

I prefer DD because my they seem to feed my fetish for foods covered in colorful sprinkles. My nephew and I will walk up to DD sometimes and buy a bag of the frosted, sprinkled donuts and just eat the pretty part. Seems like a waste, but I guess donuts just don't do it for me. Unless we are talking about the hot, fresh donuts from the local cider mill along with a chilled cup of apple cider to go with it.

KK all the way!

We had DD where I grew up (in the northwest), but they disappeared and no one lamented the loss. I can't figure out why they'd be thinking about re-expanding when their first attempt clearly didn't work. If any of the KK stores here closed up, someone would lodge an official protest.

I'm a purist, at this point--I really have no interest in any donut other than the hot, fresh variety. :wub:

Well seeing as how I live in the Boston area, DD wins hands down. However KK's donuts are WAY better. Everyone here only goes to DD for their coffee, I have rarely seen anyone order donuts.

I still can't believe that KK opened up a few places here in the surrounding boston area, they all closed down real fast.

medium coffee - cream & sugar. If you have it black it tastes like crap, you have to throw in some extras :biggrin:

there is a DD test store somewhere in Rhode Island where they serve food and drinks that are not available for sale nation wide. Right now they are serving mini hot dogs, almost like pigs in a blanket..I want to try them really really badly

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Krispy Kreme, No question. At least you don't need an entire

gallon of milk to wash it down like DD's.

On a side note, my rating system for food of this nature

is mostly based on the resist success rate after the first one consumed.