• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gesztenye Torta

Here is a photo before I cut it:

gallery_8006_298_197287.jpg

And here is a slice:

gallery_8006_298_41090.jpg

Tapenade and I both agree that the chocolate overpowered the chestnut, but it may have been because we didn't use chestnut puree. The cake was nice and moist and the walnut crunch was perfect with the rich and creamy filling. You can not eat more than a thin slice of this cake. It is very rich.

I made 1/2 a recipe and I think the 1/2 recipe cake would easily serve 8-10 people.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

Hey, it looks great! Maybe it is trick of lighting or a difference in the chestnut puree type, but did you both use the recipe for the filling? To have a more pronounced chestnut flavor I wonder if the filling recipe would work with the omission of the 3 oz of melted chocolate. One could then cover the frosting with grated chocolate for a more subtle incorporation of chocolate in the dish.

Well, inspired by this thread I did go ahead and make the Kastanienschnitten (Chestnut Slices) that I mentioned above. They are popular in Austria and Hungary. I used a recipe from Rick Rodger's Kaffeehaus. His basic recipe is a sponge cake layer which also has some chestnut puree folded into the batter. The cake layer is soaked with brandy syrup and is topped with a chestnut cream made from chestnut puree, confectionary sugar, vanilla and whipped cream. The slices are topped with grated chocolate. I modified the recipe by adding in a baked almond meringue layer. It is a very creamy dessert and there is a very nice chestnut flavor.

I got the idea of using a dacquoise layer from a chestnut slice I had at Cafe Sabarsky in NYC. I think I recall that their meringue layer still had some crispness to it. I assembled my dessert about 8 hrs before we ate it and the meringue layer was of course soft. The ground almonds added a nice textural element to the dessert though in addition to adding some height.

I used a canned chestnut puree from France -- Clement Faugier. (This is the only brand I've seen in shops out here.)

Here is a photo:

gallery_13473_3800_334215.jpg

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

That looks delicious. I did use the chocolate. I used a 75% bittersweet chocolate. I did use the filling recipe. I am going to try another filling in the Art of Cake cookbook. It uses creme de marron and whole chestnuts that have been cooked in syrup.

The filling is a light coffee color.

Well, inspired by this thread I did go ahead and make the Kastanienschnitten (Chestnut Slices) that I mentioned above.  They are popular in Austria and Hungary.  I used a recipe from Rick Rodger's Kaffeehaus.  His basic recipe is a sponge cake layer which also has some chestnut puree folded into the batter.  The cake layer is soaked with brandy syrup and is topped with a chestnut cream made from chestnut puree, confectionary sugar, vanilla and whipped cream.  The slices are topped with grated chocolate.  I modified the recipe by adding in a baked almond meringue layer.  It is a very creamy dessert and there is a very nice chestnut flavor. 

That looks and sounds great. I know my Japanese taste testers would go crazy for it.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

All of the chestnut cakes look great. I love chestnuts. But I always have trouble finding chestnuts that aren't damaged in some way. Does anyone else have this trouble? I also hate to peel them!!

And sanrensho, you're right. Japanese people do love chestnuts :laugh:

Well, I think it would taste even better with freshly made chestnut puree but the taste from the canned French puree is very good. For something like Kastanienreis or Mont Blanc in which the chestnut puree is unadorned with cake, and the texture is more important, etc I do start with fresh chestnuts. The texture of the canned puree is a little "rubbery" so I'm not sure if it would work as well for Kastanienreis or Mont Blanc. Perhaps if beaten enough it would be ok there too.

I agree it's tempting to just eat the chestnuts after all the hard work of peeling them! They are wonderful roasted and eaten out of hand with a nice young wine as legourmet recently detailed in his German annual autunm chestnut feast.

I still have some chestnut puree left over. Does anyone have experience with storing the puree? I'd like to freeze it for another occasion if that would work...

Thank you for all the nice comments and thanks to others for their comments and contributions. :smile:

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I still have some chestnut puree left over.  Does anyone have experience with storing the puree?  I'd like to freeze it for another occasion if that would work...

I don't think you'll have any problem freezing the puree. I have some in the freezer but haven't defrosted it yet...maybe this weekend. :smile:

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

• 1 year later...

gallery_41282_4652_67700.jpg

This one was outstanding! Used the recipe above. My layers are still only coming up to about 1/4" thick after baking even though they start off well over an inch...not sure what that's about. But it was still a very tasty dessert. I added crushed cacao beans in between layers for texture and to tame the sweetness a bit which was a super decision!