• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seasons 52 ... a new concept?

Gifted Gourmet

A new restaurant has just opened its doors here in Atlanta and the concept involves eating healthy food out when one desires a nicely prepared special meal ...Seasons 52... from a bit of their literature:

Our passion is to serve highly flavored meals that are better for you and focus on the best of each season. We use natural cooking techniques such as grilling over oak and mesquite to give our food exceptional taste with fewer calories than similar restaurant meals.
Rediscover the authentic tastes of freshly harvested food. Every week of the year as different foods reach their seasonal peak of taste, we seek out the best market-fresh products, such as vine-ripened heirloom tomatoes in summer, crisp apples in autumn, hearty root vegetables in winter and tender green asparagus in spring. Every item on our seasonally inspired menu contains less than 475 calories, and each meal is nutritionally balanced to include the highest quality lean meats and seafood, good carbs and beneficial oils such as extra virgin olive oil.

hmmm... less than 475 calories, and each meal is nutritionally balanced .. too good to be true?

I am going there tomorrow and want to see how this comes out .. first reports indicate that the (healthy) food is fantastic and service is impeccable ...

The reason that I didn't put this into a regional forum is that this is a chain and appears in a number of different cities ...

What do you make of this idea?

Can it make money for the owners?

Is healthy eating something desirable for an evening out?

And those tiny desserts! :shock:served in tiny cups ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

And those tiny desserts! :shock:

I LOVE the concept.will hold off on the evaluation until you report back ! If done well, I think it is what most restaurants should be, with a little bit of "This isn't your everyday food, indulge a little !" too.

however, I think healthy desserts are the wrong idea. People might be health conscious on their entree' but I think they go crazy with dessert ! :laugh:

There is a very busy and thriving Seasons 52 in Ft. Lauderdale. I've eaten there 1 time. First and last. For the price, I wasnt that thrilled. I believe I had a fish dish. It was good, but nothing spectacular.

The desserts were fun and the perfect portion control( plus, you can keep the glass).

I have been there. I don't like it either. It is a hoax. 475 calories per course. The courses are very small. I had fish the portionwas about 4 ounces, 3 halfs of red potato, one small carrot and 1/2 of a baby bok choy.

The food tasted good but I had an app & entree so the calories were around 1000. Which is not the worst but then I had to find somewhere to eat.

It looks great though.

It looks great though.

Yeah, maybe just on the Net .. but reality may not be so kind to Seasons 52 ... hype or something truly unique?

I will observe everything and make mental notes in order to offer you an analysis of the place and the food ...

I have a "foodie friend" who seemed impressed ... and he does know quality ...

story developing ... :wink:

Well, it's from the Olive Garden people, and most of the entrees appear to be tiny servings. It kind of turns me off, but I'm eager to hear your report.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Okay, as promised earlier ...yesterday, actually ... my report on the new Seasons 52 here in Atlanta ...

Very busy and lively .. beautifully appointed dining rooms ... waitstaff was impeccable, prompt and polite, healthier eating certainly is most appealing to many diners ...plating was very nicely done .. artistically arranged ...

I went with one of my girlfriends and we ordered different items in order to taste more variety ... appetizer for me was the goat cheese ravioli ... one in a tomato reduction ... excellent flavors .. parmesan flatbreads in a basket ... crisp and tasty ... my friend had the vegetable barley soup and I liked the textures and flavors here as well .. hot and somewhat spicy .. large portion ... bowl, actually ...

Main course for her was a planked salmon filet with roasted new potatoes and roasted brussel sprouts ... nice sized portions of all items ...

My main course was scallops in a beige broth with fresh asparagus spears and Israeli couscous with sundried tomatoes ... 4 large scallops and lots of couscous surrounded with the asparagus spears (several) .. not pencil thin either ...

Dessert was a selection of glasses (small) of different desserts: lemon cheesecake, creme brulee layered, boston cream pie layered, key lime pie in the small glass, etc. desserts pictured and described her better than I can explain ... each is $1.95 and seems a better idea than the massive mountains of desserts at many restaurants ...

All told we spent something like $60 together .. no wines ... and it seemed that we were well-fed, not stuffed, felt that we had eaten a healthy but visually beautiful meal ...

So, will I return? You bet! and with more of my friends who will appreciate what is happening here ...

the best explanation of all is their own press release here ... :wink:

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Two questions; first, what is a beige broth and how rapidly is this company expanding. Interesting concept but seems to be based on a fad that could be rapidly changing.

In retrospect, the "beige broth" was liquid from the "Caramelized Sea Scallops grilled & served with roasted asparagus & pearl pasta"

and I have to agree with you that the concept may be time-sensitive ... so I ask myself:

will it prevail after, say, a few years?

is this permanent in popularity?

isn't dining out really cyclical, moving from one concept to another?

Good point. It's hard to discriminate a fad from a long term success, particularly when a chain is involved.

But good to know the food was enjoyable. If they had locations in the Northeast, I'd try it out. The current "old fad born again" chain up here is "The Melting Pot" (www.meltingpot.com) and I plan on trying the location when it opens close to me.

The Melting Pot website with details ... ... looks like something which was in fashion some time ago (the website indicates 30 years!!) ... here in Atlanta, there are 3 Melting Pots but I sincerely doubt that I'd revisit that concept ... I can't make much of a meal from melted cheese for dipping one's bread ... I know, they serve other things but ... :rolleyes: ...

We had a restaurant here called The Magic Pan, if memory serves me correctly ... and they served all types of crepes, different fillings... now it has gone ... another historical moment in dining ... :hmmm:

Hold the presses! Update: Magic Pan concept being reworked!

And those tiny desserts! :shock:

I LOVE the concept.will hold off on the evaluation until you report back ! If done well, I think it is what most restaurants should be, with a little bit of "This isn't your everyday food, indulge a little !" too.

however, I think healthy desserts are the wrong idea. People might be health conscious on their entree' but I think they go crazy with dessert ! :laugh:

I love the concept too. There are occasions when I do allow for a "splurge" meal out ... but then there are many other times when I want or need a place to dine out but don't want to make that particular meal a huge hit to my food plan. Now when I'm on my own, I meet this need with Asian restaurants of various sorts--but having additional options is always welcome. So a restaurant that was really good at the format these folks propose would definitely be cool by me.

I gotta say it's an interesting-looking menu--lots of promising-sounding choices. And Melissa, your report indicates they are fulfilling their mission--at least at the Atlanta location. I'll be interested to see how the concept holds up if/when they continue to franchise further and further afield. (Is each location locally sourcing those fresh ingredients? Couldn't find any info on their site.)

With the desserts, I appreciate the freedom of choice. At the price of each of those little dessert shooters, you could have three or four of them if you wanted to treat yourself (and what terrific solution to dessert-ordering dilemma syndrome!). I'm pleased to see a fresh fruit option too.

Regarding a worry expressed upstream somewhere about small portions--welcome to my world, pal! :smile: (Said the woman living on 8-10 ounces of animal protein daily. As in, like, for the entire day.) A restaurant that dished up meat portions in the sizes these folks do would be absolutely on the mark for me.

The Melting Pot website with details ... ... looks like something which was in fashion some time ago (the website indicates 30 years!!) ... here in Atlanta, there are 3 Melting Pots but I sincerely doubt that I'd revisit that concept ... I can't make much of a meal from melted cheese for dipping one's bread ... I know, they serve other things but ... :rolleyes: ...

We had a restaurant here called The Magic Pan, if memory serves me correctly ... and they served all types of crepes, different fillings... now it has gone ... another historical moment in dining ... :hmmm:

See I missed the whole fondue fad (too young), so the idea of dipping meats into cheese just screams to me. Magic Pan looks fun too. Yum! Granted, I'm not watching calories so cheese (particularly when paired with meat) is just a must try. Believe me when the Melting Pot in my area opens I'll give a full report.

Edited by gaisorowski (log)

I gotta say it's an interesting-looking menu--lots of promising-sounding choices. And Melissa, your report indicates they are fulfilling their mission--at least at the Atlanta location. I'll be interested to see how the concept holds up if/when they continue to franchise further and further afield. (Is each location locally sourcing those fresh ingredients? Couldn't find any info on their site.)

Those questions are right on the mark, mizducky ... I will be watching with considerable interest as well to see what the reception is to thier "performance" ... it is early but the local reception was extremely enthusiastc and the place was full even as early as 6 p.m.

I will ask them directly about their sources for local fresh produce .. I plan to lunch there with a friend on Monday .. will ask lots of questions this time!

Those questions are right on the mark, mizducky  ... I will be watching with considerable interest as well to see what the reception is to thier "performance" ... it is early but the local reception was extremely enthusiastc and the place was full even as early as 6 p.m.

I will ask them directly about their sources for local fresh produce .. I plan to lunch there with a friend on Monday  .. will ask lots of questions this time!

GG~

I am so pleased that you liked it. I love the tiny dessert idea (not at all a big dessert lover) and the rest sounded very encouraging.

Re: Melting Pot

Went to one in VA 2 weeks ago to celebrate my Mom's birthday and everyone loved it. The kids got a big kick out the the concept and we old folks reminisced about college fondue parties :rolleyes: The ingredients were varied (pork, chicken, beef, shrimp and LOTS of vegetables,; we also had two types of cheese fondues), well seasoned and high quality.

Re: Magic Pan

Another oldie but goody ! There is a crepe restaurant in San Luis Obispo that is quite popular with the college students. I think a Magic Pan would certainly be busy here !

It looks great though.

Yeah, maybe just on the Net .. but reality may not be so kind to Seasons 52 ... hype or something truly unique?

I will observe everything and make mental notes in order to offer you an analysis of the place and the food ...

I have a "foodie friend" who seemed impressed ... and he does know quality ...

story developing ... :wink:

I live in Fort Lauderdale and have dined at Seasons 52 at least a dozen times now. With a few exceptions, the creations are flavorful and satisfying and I love the seasonal menus. The flatbread pizzas are light and tasty. My two favorites are the eggplant parmesan flat bread (and I typically abhor eggplant) and the grilled ruben flatbread. The wild mushroom soup is heaven in a bowl - lots of mushrooms and nice varieties. The broth is packed with a deep essence of mushroom and (surprisingly) not too salty. The parmesan crouton enhances the experience with it's light, crunchy texture and nutty, sweet parmesan coating. Another wonderful starter is the lump crab cocktail. It's a generous portion of wonderfully fresh crab chunks accompanied by two dipping sauces. Salads are created with the freshest lettuces (even the spring mix) and though lightly dressed, the dressings have just the right amount of zing to harmonize texture and flavor. The one exception was the grilled caesar with buffallo flank steak. Here the steak was tough and the dressing lacked body and tasted more like a mustard vinagrette than a caesar. Entrees that I've thoroughly enjoyed are the black cod with vegetables in ponzu sauce. Here the cod was delicate and buttery, much like chilean seabass. The ponzu sauce was light and perfectly balanced with the fish and vegetables. I also love the beef tenderloin, the pork loin entree and the cedar plank salmon. On my list of likes, but not loves is the stuffed shrimp - light and lemony, but lacking the depth of flavor one associates with such a crustacean marriage. Desserts are perfect - rich and indulgent and beautifully presented in shotglass/votive style glasses. The size and presentation along with their scrumptiousness seduce you to savor every bite! I give it 3.5 stars.

Edited by gaisorowski (log)

The one exception was the grilled caesar with buffallo flank steak. Here the steak was tough and the dressing lacked body and tasted more like a mustard vinagrette than a caesar.

Hoping that when this sort of thing happens, you will find a way to voice your interest in seeing it prepared well, to someone in management ... in the hopes that they may make the necessary changes ...

That said, I am pleased that you have offered opinions on other menu items .. now I am ready to try some of those healthy, yet delicious, items! Next visit will be the salads, lum crab cockteil, and the black cod with vegetables in ponzu sauce .. many thanks for your insightful input here! :wink:

The menu shows a great deal of thought for what they present ... size of portions down to minute details ...

Two fondue places open in Sandy Eggo. I'd love to see the Magic Pan come back. They offered a good variety of fillings, that took care of the "sameness" of everything crepe.

Is Seasons 52 looking like a place ok for small fry, or should it be limited to the older (theoretically more civilized) offspring?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Since I'm way out here on the left coast, I don't expect to see them here for a while.

This seems like it would be the perfect answer for us. Any time we go out to dine, we are served way too much food and always have to bring half of our meal home. It's usually nicer to eat it while it's hot. Small desserts would suit me because those are often served in enormous portions. It's ridiculous.

Is this backlash against the huge portion trend?

Is this backlash against the huge portion trend?

I think that was precisely their objective ... offer something people could enjoy but not feel stuffed (which I often do at places like Cheesecake Factory, etc.)

This place sounds intriguing, but I am wondering how asparagus in October jibes with their stated goal of serving fresh seasonal foods; not to mention their own PR material.

I suppose it's fresh in Guatemala or somewhere in this world, but serving it in the US at Halloween seems to indicate that their talk of "seasonal peak of taste" and "best market-fresh" is more hype than substance.

But anyway, how was the asparagus? Did it compare at all with freshly picked, local asparagus in early June?

... from a bit of their literature:
Rediscover the authentic tastes of freshly harvested food. Every week of the year as different foods reach their seasonal peak of taste, we seek out the best market-fresh products, such as vine-ripened heirloom tomatoes in summer, crisp apples in autumn, hearty root vegetables in winter and tender green asparagus in spring....

Okay, as promised earlier ...yesterday, actually ... my report on the new Seasons 52 here in Atlanta ...

My main course was scallops in a beige broth with fresh asparagus spears and Israeli couscous with sundried tomatoes ... 4 large scallops and lots of couscous surrounded with the asparagus spears (several) .. not pencil thin either ...

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

But anyway, how was the asparagus? Did it compare at all with freshly picked, local asparagus in early June?

Come to think of it, I will ask on Monday when I am having lunch there again ... and the asparagus was thick and juicy and lovely .. perhaps you're correct in saying that it's fresh somewhere in the world at this time ... a very good question! :wink:

On a visit to my local "Farmer's Market" tonight, where they have the cheapest produce from all over the world, & you'll rarely see anything grown locally, I learned that asparagus is in fact in season in Peru at the moment. (It actually looked pretty good.)

And it is springtime in Peru now, so I guess that, technically, the Seasons 52 folks are sticking to the letter of their marketing material.

Anyway, if their cooking is good, as I gather it is, that's something to cheer. We can wrestle with issues of long-distance sourcing elsewhere.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 4 months later...