• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Halloween Party Ideas?

SuzySushi

You have a sick mind, I tell ya'! :raz:  :raz:

Thank you! :smile: It's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it. :raz:

Okay, so here's the next idea. Little scary guys all in a row on a plate, ready to be eaten.

Make enchiladas - bake them "blind" without sauce - here's a link to a site that has a rather nice photo: Enchiladas

Place them on a serving plate all in a neat row, then top them with scary heads made of the top part of some parsnips that have been peeled and cooked so as to be easily edible, but *do not* remove the dead sprouting greens - leave them as hair. Faces can be made either by cutting out eyes and such, or by using a tiny round pastry tip to draw on the elements with taco sauce. Or even with Velveeta. :wink:

Heat in oven, serve, and dine.

Ahhhh. :rolleyes:

P.S. Even the parsnips alone might be scary enough. :sad:

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

Okay, so here's the next idea. Little scary guys all in a row on a plate, ready to be eaten.

Make enchiladas - bake them "blind" without sauce - here's a link to a site that has a rather nice photo: Enchiladas

Place them on a serving plate all in a neat row, then top them with scary heads made of the top part of some parsnips that have been peeled and cooked so as to be easily edible, but *do not* remove the dead sprouting greens - leave them as hair. Faces can be made either by cutting out eyes and such, or by using a tiny round pastry tip to draw on the elements with taco sauce. Or even with Velveeta.  :wink: 

Heat in oven, serve, and dine.

Ahhhh.  :rolleyes:

P.S. Even the parsnips alone might be scary enough.  :sad:

Oooh, oooh! That reminds me of another idea - Korean stuffed cabbage. I actually have a recipe in my computer files from an out-of-print Korean cookbook, for cabbage leaves cut into diamond shapes and stuffed with oval meat patties. I don't remember if it was in the original recipe or my description of the photo, but the words in my notes read: "Fold up point of leaf from the bottom to cover the meat halfway, then roll sides over. (The top should be open to show some of the meat filling, and the back of the leaf should come to a point—the package should look like a baby wrapped in a papoose.)" Maybe add black sesame seeds for the eyes, a little shredded nori for hair and.... :wink:

Edited because the cabbage should be "stuffed," not "suffed."

Edited by SuzySushi (log)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

• 3 years later...

maybe you shoul try baking some pumpkin cookies with halloween's shapes o making cupcakes and decor them with spiders.

Here is the recipe of the pumpkin cookies, I actually find this amazing recipe at a free desserts site

Ingredients

2 1/2 cup gluten-free flour blend*

1 tsp xanthan gum

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 cups sugar

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 egg

1 cup canned pumpkin

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup raisins or chocolate chips

Directions

Combine gluten-free flour mix, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and

salt in a medium bowl.

In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, pumpkin, and

vanilla. Add in dry ingredients. Stir in raisins or chocolate chips.

Drop by tablespoons onto an oil sprayed baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 15 to 18 minutes.

Good luck!

chocolate pudding, crumbled chocolate Graham crackers, gummy worms. All in one bowl, instant dirt with worms - my boy loves it :laugh:

And don't forget food coloring, you can make mean looking pasta (blue, green, red, etc) and get creative with that. Or color just about anything else. Green milk anyone? You can also buy black pasta, it's usually colored with squid ink. Looks great too. Some white sauce, black olives stuffed with almonds or something else bright for rotten eyeballs.

If I get to it I might make a pumpkin pie and see if you can draw/paint on it with diluted food coloring.

You can also get edible sheet that you can run through your printer and then somehow apply to a pie or cake. I have not done that, but take that, a computer, the image search in google and the possibilities are endless :cool:

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog