• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris Restaurant Mystery

Vine

We are returning to Paris in 4 weeks and are staying at the Hotel Brighton near the Louvre on Rue de Rivoli. We saw a very interesting article (which we have subsequently lost - hence the mystery) of a fairly new (?), highly rated Bistro very close to the Hotel which I believe is now part of the Guy Savoy group. Does this ring any bells with anyone? Appreciate any insight. If you can not identify the mystery Bistro, a recommendation of an alternative in the area would be appreciated. Vine

We are returning to Paris in 4 weeks and are staying at the Hotel Brighton near the Louvre on Rue de Rivoli.  We saw a very interesting article (which we have subsequently lost - hence the mystery) of a fairly new (?), highly rated Bistro very close to the Hotel which I believe is now part of the Guy Savoy group.  Does this ring any bells with anyone?  Appreciate any insight.  If you can not identify the mystery Bistro, a recommendation of an alternative in the area would be appreciated.  Vine

I give up. But go to the Meurice - but it's hardly a bistro or Savoy groupie.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

We are returning to Paris in 4 weeks and are staying at the Hotel Brighton near the Louvre on Rue de Rivoli.  We saw a very interesting article (which we have subsequently lost - hence the mystery) of a fairly new (?), highly rated Bistro very close to the Hotel which I believe is now part of the Guy Savoy group.  Does this ring any bells with anyone?  Appreciate any insight.  If you can not identify the mystery Bistro, a recommendation of an alternative in the area would be appreciated.  Vine

Its simple.There is nothing of interest in bistrot terms around the louvre.

Also none of the ventures by the savoy group have been truly successful.

Please note that its only rarely i use strong declaration so ,

A bon entendeur .salut!

Familial possibilities (but not of the Savoy ilk) are l'Absinthe run by Caroline Rostang and Le Point Bar run by Alice Bardet; love the latter, hate the former. Chez Pauline is an old style bistro but hardly newsworthy nor part of the Savoy empire.

John Talbott

Familial possibilities (but not of the Savoy ilk) are l'Absinthe run by Caroline Rostang and Le Point Bar run by Alice Bardet; love the latter, hate the former.  Chez Pauline is an old style bistro but hardly newsworthy nor part of the Savoy empire.

John - love the new photo! Thanks to all for your input. Went to the Guy Savoy website a few days ago and could see nothing faintly like what I remember in the article. No problem - lots of good places to eat in Paris. Appreciate your feedback. Vine

Could it be one of the restaurants on the Place du Marché St-Honoré?  L'Absinthe is a possibility, but I seem to remember that it's owned by a different major chef.  How about Tomate?

I should have been clearer; my last post
Familial possibilities (but not of the Savoy ilk) are l'Absinthe run by Caroline Rostang and Le Point Bar run by Alice Bardet; love the latter, hate the former.
gave two places on the Square that were connected to famous chefs but not Guy Savoy.

John Talbott

Could it be one of the restaurants on the Place du Marché St-Honoré?  L'Absinthe is a possibility, but I seem to remember that it's owned by a different major chef.  How about Tomate?

I should have been clearer; my last post
Familial possibilities (but not of the Savoy ilk) are l'Absinthe run by Caroline Rostang and Le Point Bar run by Alice Bardet; love the latter, hate the former.
gave two places on the Square that were connected to famous chefs but not Guy Savoy.

John - after a little bit of further hunting through various web sites the Bistro in question may be Le Dauphin at 167 rue Saint Honore. Any experience or comments about this spot for a casual dinner on a Sunday evening? Thanks in advance. Vine

John - after a little bit of further hunting through various web sites the Bistro in question may be Le Dauphin at 167 rue Saint Honore.  Any experience or comments about this spot for a casual dinner on a Sunday evening?  Thanks in advance.  Vine

I ate there quite a while back just after it was redecorated and was unimpressed. But it may have changed.

John Talbott

John - after a little bit of further hunting through various web sites the Bistro in question may be Le Dauphin at 167 rue Saint Honore.  Any experience or comments about this spot for a casual dinner on a Sunday evening?  Thanks in advance.  Vine

I ate there quite a while back just after it was redecorated and was unimpressed. But it may have changed.

John one final question on this string - have you been to Les Papilles recently. I heard some positive reports about this from our group that went there last year. Any idea if it is open on sunday evening for dinner? Thanks again for your insight and assistance.

• 2 months later...
John one final question on this string - have you been to Les Papilles recently.  I heard some positive reports about this from our group that went there last year.  Any idea if it is open on sunday evening for dinner?  Thanks again for your insight and assistance.

Sorry for the lateness of this answer which is no, I haven't been in a year.

John Talbott

I loved Chez Denise. I was alone and seated between two French couples who were so nice and we chatted through a lunch that lasted three hours.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher