• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Rioja

jessejesse

I just wanted to know if anyone shares this with me? I first fell in love with White rioja over a bottle of Sierra Cantabria Organza 2001. It was Oaked so well, with a kind of tropical brioche thing going on! i loved it..

I next tried Vina Grovina from R. Lopez Heredia a 1995, slightly oxidized gem. Completely different but amazing, more Port aromas and much less toasty then the Organza, but delicious.

Know of anymore that I should look into?

I just wanted to know if anyone shares this with me? I first fell in love with White rioja over a bottle of Sierra Cantabria Organza 2001. It was Oaked so well, with a kind of tropical brioche thing going on! i loved it..

I next tried Vina Grovina from R. Lopez Heredia a 1995, slightly oxidized gem. Completely different but amazing, more Port aromas and much less toasty then the Organza, but delicious.

Remelluri has a great one made from Sauvignon Blanc, Viognier, White Grenache, Chardonnay, Marsanne, Petit Courbut, and Roussanne. The current vintage is 2004 and it's just gorgeous. More info on the Remelluri Web site if you're interested.

The Marques de Caceres Crianza white should easily fit with the Grovina while thre Conde de Valdemar, Finca Alta de Cantabria will better belong to the Organza.

I do believe white Rioja wines are important to any open-minded world oriented restaurant.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

I like white Rioja as well.

At the moment they are not producing any wines that could be called "great"

IMOP, rather viticulture and viniculture advancements have allowed for some

very nice white wines from Rioja on the market today.

I particularly like the version from Muga (they make some terrific reds as well).

I believe that the only three grapes allowed by the consejo regulador in white Rioja

are Viura, Malvasia and Garnacha Blanca. (though some international varietals are

appearing).

Depending on whether or not it's available where you live, one you should definitely try if you liked the Sierra Cantabria Organza is Bodegas Palacios Remondo "Placet" Rioja Blanco.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Hey Artel,

I actually did get a chance to try the Remulleri wines recently at a tasting. I really enjoyed the 2001 Rioja (rouge) I think it retails for like $40 and is worth every cent.

Their red is probably best classified as a "classic" Rioja red, and 2001 was a good vintage in Rioja, so I'm not surprised that you enjoyed it! See if you can give the 2004 white a try....

• 2 weeks later...

It's good to see that a big red wine region like Rioja is also getting some exposure for its white wine, which has improved a lot over the past few years. Generally, these whites are made the Viura grape, making the Remelluri white an unusual but very pleasant surprise. In the past, Rioja had a well-deserved reputation for uneven quality in its white wine, but the potential for extremely well-balanced and complex whites has always been there, and a number of regions are now proving that.

Brian Murdock

Madrid, Spain

Teacher/writer

www.murdockmedia.com