• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Au Pied de Cochon"...the book

Simon Patrice

• 4 weeks later...

Picard's cooking, book and general attitude towards life is a breath of fresh air. He is as serious about his food as any chef with a high profile but retains an irreverance and lust for life that is refreshing.

So far we have made the PDC Poutine and 'Duck in a Can'. A veal demi-glace was used for the Poutine sauce and a duck stock for the 'Duck in a Can' . Fresh Grade C Hudson Valley foie gras was used in both dishes. Both dishes are hearty, rich and satisfying, not some itsy bitsy esoteric conglomeration of ingrediants that tries to pass for cooking these day.

The DVD is great, continuning the irreverance of the book.

I have to stop typing now and have my arteries checked.-Dick

I am soooo bummed.. the site to order the book only ships to canada and the US!

I will email them directly instead of trying to order online!

I WANT THIS

divina, The Cookbook Store in Toronto is now carrying Au Pied de Cauchon (I bought it at the restaurant a couple of weeks ago; it IS amazing, as is the restaurant!).

Here's a link to The Cookbook Store http://www.cook-book.com/media/index.html#top

I'm sure they'll mail it anywhere.

I am soooo bummed.. the site to order the book only ships to canada and the US!

I will email them directly instead of trying to order online!

I WANT THIS

divina, The Cookbook Store in Toronto is now carrying Au Pied de Cauchon (I bought it at the restaurant a couple of weeks ago; it IS amazing, as is the restaurant!).

Here's a link to The Cookbook Store http://www.cook-book.com/media/index.html#top

I'm sure they'll mail it anywhere.

So will Archambault. For $15 cheaper too.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered a copy from the Archambault site about 2 weeks ago and received the book here in California last Thursday! It's quite an amazing book. I haven't watched the DVD yet though. I don't think my vegan daughter would quite appreciate the artwork & photos though!

Margy

• 2 weeks later...

Just received mine today. Really an amazing package. I'm going to watch the dvd tonight and try some of the recipes this weekend if I can get my hands on some good venison or foie gras.

My book came from archambault.ca so I assume they are back in stock.

• 2 months later...

I see from this link, Florida Film, Food, and Wine Celebration, that Picard is in the States promoting the book.

Does anyone know his itinerary?

Also I now see the book listed on Border's and Amazon's websites. However, when I click through the details page, it says the book is currently unavailable.

Edited by rcianci (log)

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered my copy from the restaurant over 2 months ago, but I still haven't received it.....surely it doesn't take that long for packages to get from Canada to Australia.

However, before I send them an e-mail to chase up on the order, I need a question answered. I took a look at the website again....does the book come in a wooden box?

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

I ordered my copy from the restaurant over 2 months ago, but I still haven't received it.....surely it doesn't take that long for packages to get from Canada to Australia. 

However, before I send them an e-mail to chase up on the order, I need a question answered.  I took a look at the website again....does the book come in a wooden box?

No that's just the cover :biggrin:

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

I'm torn over buying the French version for the band desinee, or the English version for Bourdain's intro.

Does anyone know if they swear creatively in the comic? That'd tilt the balance in favour of the French.

Daniel, take a peek at the Porky Books in the UK thread on the UK/Ireland site

5 months from Canada to the UK? How long will it take from Canada to Australia then.....I guess I might get my book in time for Christmas. :hmmm:

However, before I send them an e-mail to chase up on the order, I need a question answered.  I took a look at the website again....does the book come in a wooden box?

No that's just the cover :biggrin:

Ah ha! Well, at least I know Australian customs won't destroy or fumigate the book then (we've got some strict laws on the importation of wood products).

Thanks for answering my question.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Any more reviews from the owners of this book? I took a look at this book at Chapters but they were all wrapped in plastic.

I bought the English edition weeks ago, but have barely had time to thumb through it. The recipes are fun (their mashed potatoes call for fresh cheese curds :laugh: ) and there are plenty of fun little stories.

They have a great attitude about the food they prepare, respecting the animals in particular. Visits to farms, witness to the slaughter, all of that. I know that some people are grossed out by images of animals being dressed/gutted, but there's a measure of respect given to the the beasts that provide the meat we enjoy. And I don't mean to imply that the book is grim. There's more joy here than anything. They also make an informed and passionate case for humane treatment of livestock. One of the first sections of the book is entitled "Happy Pig". Fun people, great attitude. I'd love to eat at their restaurant.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm a little late on the scene - my copy arrived last week and even with the crappy exchange rate with the USD, it's worth every loonie! It's a fun book with interesting recipes that I've never seen anywhere else. I'm quite anxious to get my pig trotter action going! I can only imagine the amount of foie gras and pork I will "have" to consume in my pursuit of a broader culinary repertoire.

• 2 weeks later...