• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Simon Patrice

"Au Pied de Cochon"...the book

58 posts in this topic

Picard's cooking, book and general attitude towards life is a breath of fresh air. He is as serious about his food as any chef with a high profile but retains an irreverance and lust for life that is refreshing.

So far we have made the PDC Poutine and 'Duck in a Can'. A veal demi-glace was used for the Poutine sauce and a duck stock for the 'Duck in a Can' . Fresh Grade C Hudson Valley foie gras was used in both dishes. Both dishes are hearty, rich and satisfying, not some itsy bitsy esoteric conglomeration of ingrediants that tries to pass for cooking these day.

The DVD is great, continuning the irreverance of the book.

I have to stop typing now and have my arteries checked.-Dick

I am soooo bummed.. the site to order the book only ships to canada and the US!

I will email them directly instead of trying to order online!

I WANT THIS

divina, The Cookbook Store in Toronto is now carrying Au Pied de Cauchon (I bought it at the restaurant a couple of weeks ago; it IS amazing, as is the restaurant!).

Here's a link to The Cookbook Store http://www.cook-book.com/media/index.html#top

I'm sure they'll mail it anywhere.

I am soooo bummed.. the site to order the book only ships to canada and the US!

I will email them directly instead of trying to order online!

I WANT THIS

divina, The Cookbook Store in Toronto is now carrying Au Pied de Cauchon (I bought it at the restaurant a couple of weeks ago; it IS amazing, as is the restaurant!).

Here's a link to The Cookbook Store http://www.cook-book.com/media/index.html#top

I'm sure they'll mail it anywhere.

So will Archambault. For $15 cheaper too.

FYI, it's backordered at Archambault. My order's been in since late November. I emailed them the other day asking about an expected date of restocking, but haven't yet heard back. If I hear from them, I'll post the reply here.

I heard back from Archambault. They're expecting a new shipment from their supplier in 2 - 3 weeks.

The French version is still in stock, however (and comes with the comic book).

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

I ordered a copy from the Archambault site about 2 weeks ago and received the book here in California last Thursday! It's quite an amazing book. I haven't watched the DVD yet though. I don't think my vegan daughter would quite appreciate the artwork & photos though!

Margy

I got my copy yesterday and love it! The DVD is really cool, especially the recipe section. I wish they could make a cooking show like that.

Martin Mallet

www.malletoyster.com

Just received mine today. Really an amazing package. I'm going to watch the dvd tonight and try some of the recipes this weekend if I can get my hands on some good venison or foie gras.

My book came from archambault.ca so I assume they are back in stock.

I see from this link, Florida Film, Food, and Wine Celebration, that Picard is in the States promoting the book.

Does anyone know his itinerary?

Also I now see the book listed on Border's and Amazon's websites. However, when I click through the details page, it says the book is currently unavailable.

Edited by rcianci (log)

I ordered my copy from the restaurant over 2 months ago, but I still haven't received it.....surely it doesn't take that long for packages to get from Canada to Australia.

However, before I send them an e-mail to chase up on the order, I need a question answered. I took a look at the website again....does the book come in a wooden box?

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

Daniel, take a peek at the Porky Books in the UK thread on the UK/Ireland site

I ordered my copy from the restaurant over 2 months ago, but I still haven't received it.....surely it doesn't take that long for packages to get from Canada to Australia. 

However, before I send them an e-mail to chase up on the order, I need a question answered.  I took a look at the website again....does the book come in a wooden box?

No that's just the cover :biggrin:

Martin Mallet

www.malletoyster.com

I'm torn over buying the French version for the band desinee, or the English version for Bourdain's intro.

Does anyone know if they swear creatively in the comic? That'd tilt the balance in favour of the French.

Daniel, take a peek at the Porky Books in the UK thread on the UK/Ireland site

5 months from Canada to the UK? How long will it take from Canada to Australia then.....I guess I might get my book in time for Christmas. :hmmm:

However, before I send them an e-mail to chase up on the order, I need a question answered.  I took a look at the website again....does the book come in a wooden box?

No that's just the cover :biggrin:

Ah ha! Well, at least I know Australian customs won't destroy or fumigate the book then (we've got some strict laws on the importation of wood products).

Thanks for answering my question.

Ah, my copy arrived today. :cool:

Any more reviews from the owners of this book? I took a look at this book at Chapters but they were all wrapped in plastic.

Any more reviews from the owners of this book? I took a look at this book at Chapters but they were all wrapped in plastic.

I bought the English edition weeks ago, but have barely had time to thumb through it. The recipes are fun (their mashed potatoes call for fresh cheese curds :laugh: ) and there are plenty of fun little stories.

They have a great attitude about the food they prepare, respecting the animals in particular. Visits to farms, witness to the slaughter, all of that. I know that some people are grossed out by images of animals being dressed/gutted, but there's a measure of respect given to the the beasts that provide the meat we enjoy. And I don't mean to imply that the book is grim. There's more joy here than anything. They also make an informed and passionate case for humane treatment of livestock. One of the first sections of the book is entitled "Happy Pig". Fun people, great attitude. I'd love to eat at their restaurant.

Thanks Edsel, I am picking up a copy tommorow. I am curious about the canned duck that Bordain ate at the restaurant and Picard's foie gras Zampone.

This is a seriously beautiful, artistic and unique work. Anyone in the states or internationally looked at it?

I'm a little late on the scene - my copy arrived last week and even with the crappy exchange rate with the USD, it's worth every loonie! It's a fun book with interesting recipes that I've never seen anywhere else. I'm quite anxious to get my pig trotter action going! I can only imagine the amount of foie gras and pork I will "have" to consume in my pursuit of a broader culinary repertoire.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By Lisa Shock
      The team over at Modernist Cuisine announced today that their next project will be an in-depth exploration of bread. I personally am very excited about this, I had been hoping their next project would be in the baking and pastry realm. Additionally, Francisco Migoya will be head chef and Peter Reinhart will assignments editor for this project which is expected to be a multi-volume affair.
    • By Chris Hennes
      While not a new cookbook by any means, I haven't really had time to dig into this one until now. We've previously discussed the recipes in Jerusalem: A Cookbook, but not much has been said about Plenty. So, here goes...

Chickpea saute with Greek yogurt (p. 211)

This was a great way to kick off my time with this book. The flavors were outstanding, particularly the use of the caraway seeds and lemon juice. I used freshly-cooked Rancho Gordo chickpeas, which of course helps! The recipe was not totally trivial, but considering the flavors developed, if you don't count the time to cook the chickpeas it came together very quickly. I highly recommend this dish.
    • By Bickery
      Hey Everyone! I'm kinda new to all this, so excuse any violation of mores.
      Searching google for anything on Mr. Steingarten on the web led me to
      this forum. It appears te me that most of you are food professionals or
      nearly that, while i'm just a 21-yr old student who likes to cook.

I own both Jeffries books, and i've started putting together a list of
      all the books he sort of recommends in his writing. Thus came an idea
      for this forum, wouldn't it be fun to concoct a list of say 50
      cookbooks from the world over? I everybody, and hopefully mr
      Steingarten along with them, would contribute his or hers favourote
      books, this could be very interesting.

Due to my limited library on the subject (most cookbooks i've read are
      mom's) i shall begin by contributing my current favourite.

I shall put it in last place, because i'm sure a lot of you will have
      thing to say on the subject.

so:

50. La cucina essentiale - Stefano Cavallini

I hope a lot of suggestions will follow!

Yours Truly,

Rik

(Host's Note: Thanks to eG member marmish, who has compiled a list of everything mentioned as of the end of July 2009: it can be found here. -CH)
    • By liuzhou
      I'm hearing rumours of a new book from Fuchsia Dunlop, this time on Zhejiang cuisine from the east of China around Hangzhou and Ningbo, south of Shanghai. No date or title - or confirmation yet.
    • By Droo
      I'm making the citron cream recipe in Migoya's Elements of Desserts (p318/9?).
      It says to cook the anglaise to 85 degrees, place on an ice bath then whip the anglaise. I've done that but it doesn't seem to whip (let alone to a medium peak).

This is a new technique I've not tried before so I'm at a loss. Anyone have any ideas?