• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Au Pied de Cochon"...the book

Simon Patrice

Glad I saw this thread, it reminded me that I am missing a mandatory addition to my collection.

Did a web search and found the paperback version for $25.00CDN on Amazon.ca. With shipping to Kansas City it came to about $35.00. That's "standard" international shipping.....so hopefully I won't be waiting too long.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks budrichard for the tip on using the veal demi-glace for the foie gras sauce (instead of poutine sauce as a base - which is apparently not available in San Francisco). We mixed the demi-glace with cream, egg yolk, and used the rendered foie fat from the Foie Gras Hamburger to make a side of foie gras sauce to put on the PDC Chicken Pie. Oh my, it was amazing! It took a really great homemade pot pie to the next level. The FOIE level. Who knew? Highly highly recommended!

The Chicken Pie with Foie Gras Sauce (OK, it looks kind of gross, but it tasted really, really, really good. Chicken pot pie with foie gras!)

gallery_41089_5946_28354.jpg

The Foie Gras Hamburger (which contributed its lovely foie fat)

gallery_41089_5946_2813.jpg

And we were inspired by The Album and Carol at FrenchLaundryAtHome (and pigs and foie gras and cooking outside our comfort zone and the excuse to have friends over for dinner on a weekly basis) and decided to cook every recipe The Album. (We've done 8 so far!) You can read along here if you'd like...

• 3 weeks later...
One of your blogs looks like you have 'Point' by Raynaud?-Dick

Alas, no. Nothing quite so nice in the house. :)

Oh, and the most recent recipe tried was the foie gras poutine. OhMyFoie-ingGosh, was it good. Even with a slightly broken foie sauce!

BTW, does anyone know how to get tallow to melt down more? Mine seemed to render, but not nearly as much as I thought it would. (It became more like cracklin's.) Should I have chopped it up more? Been more patient and cooked over low heat for a while? Just used bacon or duck fat instead? I'm new to tallow and now I have lots of it to play with, so I'd love any tips you might have!

• 2 weeks later...

just so folks are aware, the cheaper paperback version does not come w/ the dvd.

love this book!

"The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those who feel." - Horace Walpole

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah love the book, much prefer it over Pork & Sons that I got this week too.

But can anyone name the wild herbs which used with the white asparagus recipe on page 59?

• 1 month later...