• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Au Pied de Cochon"...the book

Simon Patrice

(From a library website)

If anyone feels like translating

Un livre de 55 recettes truffé de plus de 600 photos et d'une cinquantaine d'illustrations, une bande dessinée de 48 pages, un DVD de 2 heures comprenant 5 recettes proposées par des invités de divers horizons et 6 clips documentaires tournés aux quatre coins du Québec.

Le Pied de cochon Montréalais est ouvert depuis 2001. En quelques années, le réputé restaurant a accumulé nombre de distinctions et critiques élogieuses. Inspiré par la tradition de la brasserie québécoise, le chef Martin Picard s’efforce d’y servir des produits de haute qualité dans une atmosphère conviviale et festive. Plus qu’un livre de recettes, L’album est le récit d’une aventure culinaire et un hommage aux artisans de la gastronomie.

The book is available in English too.

English book: Intro by Anthony Bourdain

French book: 48 page comic strip

It's pretty amazing!

Is the English version already available or expected date of ???

The English version is available now. You can purchase it at Bon Appetit Cookbooks on Victoria and Sherbrooke in Westmount, or at the restaurant.

The difference between the two versions is that the French comes with a 50 page comic book - brilliantly written and illustrated - that chronicles the events leading up to the opening of Au Pied de Cochon 5 years ago and the English has the enthusiastic Bourdain intro, trademark sardonic wit and all.

The French version is available at Raffin, Archambault and the restaurant of course.

This has to be one of the most unusual cookbooks I have ever seen. I know firsthand that everyone who worked on it put their heart and soul into the project over the past two years.

I should also mention that both versions come with a DVD documentary. So at around $60 (depending on the retail outlet), the cookbook is a real deal.

The chef Anthony Bourdain first wrote about for Gourmet two years ago, the man who stole the Montreal Gourmet issue and the Quebec episode of No Reservations, now has a book.

A book that is unlike any other recipe, food or chef book that I have ever seen.

The English version includes an introduction by Bourdain himself.

What Martin does at Au Pied de Cochon is right in my emotional comfort zone. It speaks right to my heart--as a cook and as an eater. It's the kind of nonsense and frippery-free food that resonates with other chefs--who inevitably "get" what he's all about: The Good Stuff prepared skillfully and without pretention, and a shared philosophy of "too much of a good thing is seldom enough". I also admire that Martin has turned his back on the traditional fine dining environment in pursuit of what's important--and ONLY what's important. He makes food fun again.

I wrote an intro for Martin because I consider him a soul brother, a like-minded comrade--and one of the good guys. Along with Fergus Henderson, Chris Cosentino and Mario Batali, he's one of the Good Guys--a force for good in the world of gastronomy who should be supported and encouraged at every opportunity in the interests of a better world and a brighter future and as an example for young chefs and cooks.

The book will soon be available on the Au Pied de Cochon website and hopefully, in bookstores outside of Quebec in the near future.

Click here to check out the Au Pied de Cochon site. Scroll down and click on The Album link.

This book is a MUST-see.

The DVD is worth the price of the book alone. It chronicles Picard as he travels around Quebec to the various purveyors and farmers who play such a crucial role in the success and "food honesty" of Au Pied de Cochon.

I should also add that the excerpt from Anthony Bourdain in my post above is NOT from the English version of the book but from an email he sent me about why he chose to pen the intro for Picard in the first place.

Just want to make it clear so everyone knows I'm not spoiling anything!

(From a library website)

If anyone feels like translating

Un livre de 55 recettes truffé de plus de 600 photos et d'une cinquantaine d'illustrations, une bande dessinée de 48 pages, un DVD de 2 heures comprenant 5 recettes proposées par des invités de divers horizons et 6 clips documentaires tournés aux quatre coins du Québec.

Le Pied de cochon Montréalais est ouvert depuis 2001. En quelques années, le réputé restaurant a accumulé nombre de distinctions et critiques élogieuses. Inspiré par la tradition de la brasserie québécoise, le chef Martin Picard s’efforce d’y servir des produits de haute qualité dans une atmosphère conviviale et festive. Plus qu’un livre de recettes, L’album est le récit d’une aventure culinaire et un hommage aux artisans de la gastronomie.

Translation:

A book of 500 recipes and more than 600 photos and 50 illustrations, a 48 page comic book, a 2 hour DVD consisting of 5 recipes from guests from various backgrounds and 6 documentary clips shot at various sites in Quebec.

The Montreal location of Le Pied de Cochon has been open since the year 2001. The restaurant has accumulated, over a few short years, numerous accolades and positive reviews. Inspired by Quebec Brasserie tradition, Chef Martin Picard serves top quality cuisine in a convivial and festive atmosphere. More than a cookbook, the ensemble presents a culinary adventure and is an homage to gastronomy's artisans.

anyone know the publisher and/or ISBN #?

anyone know how to build an eGullet-friendly link to this book on Amazon?

thanks in advance if yes,

gus  :smile:

The book is self-published and not yet available on Amazon. ISBN is 2980949833.

You can purchase the French edition here.

Need anyone be reminded, the original Au Pied de Cochon opened in Paris not five but sixty years ago in 1946.

Right. But the word "original" implies a link between the two. The Montreal Au Pied de Cochon is an entirely different animal from the Paris restaurant of the same name.

And by entirely different animal I mean, way, way, better and cooler.

Need anyone be reminded, the original Au Pied de Cochon opened in Paris not five but sixty years ago in 1946.

Right. But the word "original" implies a link between the two. The Montreal Au Pied de Cochon is an entirely different animal from the Paris restaurant of the same name.

And by entirely different animal I mean, way, way, better and cooler.

You are correct of course in that these are two different animals, but (and I am smiling as I write this) let us keep in mind Mark Twain's dictum to the effect that

“To create man was a quaint and original idea, but to add the sheep was tautology”

As to which of the two is "best", perhaps we can agree to disagree. I have adored the Paris Au Pied de Cochon since the days of my youth. I have only enjoyed the Canadian version for 5 years.

I purchased the book in English this last Friday.. I made two things from the book.. Before I talk about the recipe, I want to say how cool the book is.. If there were no recipes at all, the book is extremely entertaining.. Its like a comic and artistic photography.. The spirit of the chef, his complete respect and vision of food and life is relayed well through this book .. We were just at the restaurant Friday and every item on the menu is in this book.. I love that he is totally comfortable sharing his recipes with us..

The first item was the Foie Gras Poutine:

I didnt use as much foie gras as the recipe called for but it was a side dish.. The foie gras sauce was just unbelievable and inspires me to re-evaluate how to use foie gras.. By added it to cheese fries and gravy I think it makes foie gras more accessible and less stuffy..

gallery_15057_2971_23941.jpg

I served it with lamb.. And for dessert we made the Pouding Chomeur

We added a wedge of french toast.. But this was as good as we had it in the restaurant on Friday..

gallery_15057_2971_47781.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

Made the Venison Tartare from the book.. I really enjoyed it.. I had frozen meat so when it was almost defrosted, I took the time to dice it into small cubes.. Yesteday I had started soaking the tartare "spice" as he calls it.. It was excellent.. I had not had it at the restaurant but, I think I might prefer venison to steak.. Its almost like a cross between tuna and beef if thats possible.. The bright red meat is a lot more appealing to me and the meat held its shape.. Great stuff.. I did not throw in the parsley because I served a watercress salad on the side.. Used the how to make the cone instructions also..

gallery_15057_2971_106530.jpg