• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trip Planning

Ling

Oh, in that case it's easy.

Go to Kossar's. Grand St. between Norfolk and Essex, down on the Lower East Side. You'll be near there when you go to Katz's.

Right next door is the Doughnut Plant, which ought to be a "must visit" for you. Frankly, I think it's incredibly overrated, but most people think it has the best doughnuts in . . . New York? the Northeast? the entire eastern seaboard? North America? the universe?

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

I haven't had the almond croissant at Patisserie Claude, but the chocolate croissant is excellent. I have had the almond croissant at La Bergamote, dating back about a year now. It was very good, but I'd give the edge in terms of dough and overall excellence to PC.

I dont know what time your flight back is but if you are having a late lunch at Momfuku, you could hit Chikalicious when they open at three.. Its not my favorite but hey its certainly dessert..

http://www.chikalicious.com/

We have to be on our way to the airport by 3pm, but I've read a lot about Chikalicious. Next trip!

Revised itinerary:

Wednesday (13th)--dinner at EGer's home

Thursday (14th)--breakfast at Fauchon, Gordon Ramsey for lunch, City Bakery, Jacques Torres, and Kee's Chocolates in the afternoon, WD50 for dinner, then Pegu Club for a late-night drink

Friday (15th)--breakfast at La Maison du Chocolat and a quick stop at Lady M, Jean Georges for lunch, Room 4 Dessert in the evening, Bouley for a late dinner

Saturday (16th)--Katz for breakfast, Momofuku for lunch

And if there's time:

New 5th Ave. Apple Store

Prada Flagship store

New Moma

Guggenheim

Morimoto (for Ando, not the food)

It's not all about food! :wink:

Hey Pan and herbacidal,

Unfortunately, all our lunches and dinners are booked, so there won't be any other time to go to Katz except for Saturday! We plan on going early for breakfast (do they serve pastrami in the morning?) so hopefully it won't be too busy.[...]

So it looks like I might not get to meet you two this time. Maybe someday for breakfast, but Saturday morning is out, because I have to get to work at 10 A.M., and it's lately been taking me 1 hour 20 minutes to get there (damned weekend subway construction!).

I feel completely safe in saying that Katz's serves pastrami anytime they're open. I don't know how early they open on Saturdays, and I don't think I've ever gone there in the morning (certainly not the early morning). A Katz's pastrami sandwich is very heavy for breakfast. Somehow, I don't think that'll be a problem for you all, however. :laugh:

Michael aka "Pan"