• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trip Planning

Ling

Oooh, Ling and Lo Do New York! When exactly are you going to be there?

We've been doing low-budget NY lately, and haven't tried many of the places on your list. They all sound good to me though. If you're by Katz's, grab a knish at Yonah Schimmel.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Thanks, Sneakeater for digging up that topic for Ling.

The full name of the restaurant is Mas (Farmhouse). The three letter word "Mas" alone will not turn up anything with the eGullet search.

Galen Zamarra is a very talented chef, who for very good reasons is particularly popular amongst the Slow Food cognoscenti.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I read the Eleven Madison Park thread this morning, and am very impressed with the reviews. Everyone seems to love it (well, except for Pan.  :raz: ) Has anyone had a meal there in the last month? Still wonderful?

I ate at Eleven Madison last Saturday night. While I don't think its of the same calibre of Alain Ducasse or Daniel, I was very favorably impressed. Granted, it was a private event and the menu was fixed for us, but the things we ate were the things that are on the menu. I actually really liked the bruleed foie gras. It wasn't overly sweet and the crunch made a really nice contrast.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Thanks, Sneakeater for digging up that topic for Ling.

The full name of the restaurant is Mas (Farmhouse). The three letter word "Mas" alone will not turn up anything with the eGullet search.

Galen Zamarra is a very talented chef, who for very good reasons is particularly popular amongst the Slow Food cognoscenti.

I can also vouch for the partner/sommelier Hugh Crickmore, who had the been at Marseille previously, as a wonderful person and impeccable selector

I've only been to Lombardi's and Two Boots. Suggestions?

DiFara, for the by-the-slice pizza of the gods.

Franny's.

But you don't have time to get to them. (Both in Brooklyn.)

I would have suggested the same two names. I've been to Franny's once so far, and it was a lovely dinner with a unique kind of ethereal-crusted pizza as part of it. But if you want to stay in Manhattan, consider Patsy's East Harlem location. There are various other possibilities, depending on where you are and what kind of pizza you want. I haven't tried any of the various Neapolitan-style pizzerie that have opened in my neighborhood in the last few years, but there's also Arturo's on West Houston St. in the Village. The clam pie isn't on the menu, but ask for it, because it's great!

I assume you can get really good banh mi in Vancouver, but we New Yorkers think that Banh Mi Saigon, on Mott St. between Hester and Grand, is wonderful. I actually prefer the banh mi ga (chicken sandwich) there, and always order it spicy (extra jalapenos!).

I don't know how good the Malaysian food is in Vancouver or Seattle, but if you have any interest in going to a Malaysian restaurant here, Skyway on Allen St. between Division and Canal makes some excellent seafood dishes, kangkung belacan, nasi lemak, and such.

In terms of chocolates, I liked Kee's when I went there a couple of years ago or so, but Jacques Torres is more fun because they have a "chocolate bar" where you can sit and drink incredibly rich hot chocolate. (I went to their SoHo location, but I assume the setup is similar in DUMBO.) If you go there, get their big chocolate chip cookie, which has a layer of melted chocolate inside. I also got two truffles - lemon (with lemon pulp) and passion fruit. Both were good, and the passion fruit was great, in my estimation. I realize that you have a much more informed and critical palate in regard to chocolate, though.

By the way, I'm not the only one who's been sort of underwhelmed by 11 Madison Park; you can see some unimpressed posts on Chowhound, for whatever that's worth to you. I suspect that I would have liked the meal a good deal more if my appetizer had come sooner, though. Waiting over an hour for your food does tend to make one more critical of it.

I'd like to meet you two, schedules allowing, so please PM me if you'd like to share a meal or drink during your visit. Have a great time!

Michael aka "Pan"

^Thanks Pan. I think we'll skip 11 Madison Park. I looked at some pictures on Cook's Korner and it seems like we can find similar dishes over here on the west coast. WD-50 is a definite, though. We are meeting with FabulousFoodBabe for dinner there, but we haven't made a reservation yet. Plane tickets are booked for Dec. 13th arrival, and we are leaving Dec. 16th. Please PM if you'd like to get together at WD-50.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a rough itinerary worked out, and are making reservations tomorrow (which the exception of Gordon Ramsey's place, which we made this morning.)

13th--we land in Jersey, and are invited to dinner at an EGer's home!

14th--lunch at GR at the London, dinner at WD50, then Room 4 Dessert

15th--lunch at Jean Georges, dinner at Bouley, followed by Pegu Club

16th--lunch at Katz, and then we're flying back home

For breakfast and snacks, I have the following lined up:

-Lady M in Manhattan

-Kee's

-La Maison du Chocolat

-Jacques Torres

-Fauchon

-Pierre Marcolini

-Amy's Bread

Henry is also hoping to fit in some pizza somewhere, and the pork belly buns from Momofuku. I am still trying to decide whether Payard is worth a trip or not...perhaps we'll drop by if we're shopping nearby.

Thanks for all your help!

Edited by Ling (log)

Looks to be a very ambitious itinerary! I expect you to be rolling onto the airplane :laugh: Enjoy!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Regarding Kee's, you might want to take a look at her selection on-line and request any flavors that interest you a few days in advance. I've found that when I just drop by, she usually doesn't have a wide variety available and I'm therefore disappointed. Of course, I know what I like so pre-ordering is easy. Some of my favorites are the creme brulee, turtles, yuzu, key lime and thompson.

Regarding Kee's, you might want to take a look at her selection on-line and request any flavors that interest you a few days in advance. I've found that when I just drop by, she usually doesn't have a wide variety available and I'm therefore disappointed. Of course, I know what I like so pre-ordering is easy. Some of my favorites are the creme brulee, turtles, yuzu, key lime and thompson.

Dont forget the black sesame and thai chilli too

We have a rough itinerary worked out, and are making reservations tomorrow (which the exception of Gordon Ramsey's place, which we made this morning.)

13th--we land in Jersey, and are invited to dinner at an EGer's home!

14th--lunch at GR at the London, dinner at WD50, then Room 4 Dessert

15th--lunch at Jean Georges, dinner at Bouley, followed by Pegu Club

16th--lunch at Katz, and then we're flying back home

For breakfast and snacks, I have the following lined up:

-Lady M in Manhattan

-Kee's

-La Maison du Chocolat

-Jacques Torres

-Fauchon

-Pierre Marcolini

-Amy's Bread

Henry is also hoping to fit in some pizza somewhere, and the pork belly buns from Momofuku. I am still trying to decide whether Payard is worth a trip or not...perhaps we'll drop by if we're shopping nearby.

Thanks for all your help!

Yeah, NYC may be a bastion of haute cuisine, but there isn't a restaurant in the world that has anything on a perfect pie of NY style pizza. Make sure you don't miss out on that!

OK, we'll do that. Do we need to book reservations at Room 4 Dessert?

It wouldn't hurt, especially if you do go on Friday night. They're taking reservations through the end of the year. FYI they require a credit card and there's a $10 fee per person if you don't cancel more than 24 hours in advance, should you not make it.

(The number is 212.941.5405)

I'm jealous of your itinerary, and I live 10 miles from NYC! I really must vacation there someday...

Susan

PS: Your snack choices are inspired. If you're anywhere near Madison Square Garden (and I don't know why you would be), you might pop into Pizza Suprema on 8th Ave. at 31st St. A very nice slice indeed.

I didn't mention this before, Lorna, but I think Saturday lunch is a bad time to go to Katz's. It'll be totally mobbed with clueless tourists, who unlike you will not know to tip the counterman at least $1 per sandwich. You'll wait in a long line, or you'll get waiter service and not be able to pick out the best possible meat. Plus, I work until 3 PM at Brooklyn College on Saturdays.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I didn't mention this before, Lorna, but I think Saturday lunch is a bad time to go to Katz's. It'll be totally mobbed with clueless tourists, who unlike you will not know to tip the counterman at least $1 per sandwich. You'll wait in a long line, or you'll get waiter service and not be able to pick out the best possible meat. Plus, I work until 3 PM at Brooklyn College on Saturdays.

Hey Pan and herbacidal,

Unfortunately, all our lunches and dinners are booked, so there won't be any other time to go to Katz except for Saturday! We plan on going early for breakfast (do they serve pastrami in the morning?) so hopefully it won't be too busy.

Revised itinerary:

Wednesday (13th)--dinner at EGer's home

Thursday (14th)--breakfast at Patisserie Claude and City Bakery, Gordon Ramsey for lunch, (hopefully Petrossian if I have room), then Jacques Torres, Kee's Chocolates, and shopping in the afternoon, WD50 for dinner, then Pegu Club for a late-night drink

Friday (15th)--breakfast at La Maison du Chocolat and a quick stop at Lady M and hopefully Payard (if only for a look at their pastries), Jean Georges for lunch, Room 4 Dessert in the evening, Bouley for a very late dinner

Saturday (16th)--Katz for breakfast, Momofuku for lunch

I've been doing some more reading in the NY forum and want to add City Bakery to the list. (I just received the cookbook as a gift, and am a fan of their minimalist tart designs.) I also want to make it to Petrossian if time permits.

My favourite breakfast pastry is the almond croissant. I read that Patisserie Claude and La Bergamote does good croissants--any other comments about these two bakeries?

I also want to try a NY bagel. Any favourites?

Edited by Ling (log)