• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is there such a thing as a MOIST Scone?

Old Foodie,

Love, love, love your blog. :wub:

Yep, we Americans know a good thing when we steal it!

Although I suppose it is not stealing when incorporating all the cultural differences in our heritage. What can one do with Great Grandparents who are Irish, Native American, Italian, French, African and British - all faced with the prospect of nourishing themselves with what is readily available? I find the whole concept fascinating, and your blog does a great job of tracing the recipes back to their roots. Take the best and leave the rest.

I'm thinking that your pumpkin scone recipe would be quite moist, as scones go. What do you think of the concept of substituting buttermilk, yogurt or sour cream for milk?

Speaking of "Man" food (and I think a marmalade filled scone would be a lovely treat for anyone) I must tell you what my husband did to me recently. We moved, and I temporarily lost my large round biscuit cutter, so I used a smaller heart shaped cookie cutter instead. He absolutely pouted. Same biscuits, same flavor and texture, just a different shape! His mind is also closed to scones, unfortunately. Maybe if I called them biscuits, he would feel more comfortable in his manhood?

Chef Mz. Jeannie,

Please do keep us posted. As another southern cook, I think our frame of reference is pretty close, and I don't mind a bit learning from your experience!

Anne

Edited by annecros (log)