• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salon du Chocolat

lemon curd

The second annual Salon du Chocolate competition sponsored by the BC Chef's Association was held Oct 21, 2006. Last year the competition was part of the West Coast Chocolate Festival, however this year the competition was held independently.

There was a huge increase in the number of competitors this year: 16 bonbon entries, 17 showpieces and 22 plated desserts. I only have pictures of the bonbon and showpiece categories and I have done my best to match the winning entries with the pictures. For the bonbons I've picked a few pictures that portrayed unique bonbons or unique presentation.

For bonbons:

The first picture is the entry from my coworker at Chocolate Arts and it won a silver medal in the bonbon category

gallery_17088_3782_168341.jpg

gallery_17088_3782_56859.jpg

gallery_17088_3782_164089.jpg

gallery_17088_3782_15657.jpg

For showpieces

Gold Medal in the showpiece category and the overall competition winner (below)

gallery_17088_3782_81853.jpg

Also a Gold Medal in the showpiece category (FYI - the plates are pastillage and handpainted with chocolate - the second picture gives you a good idea of the detailing on the RMCP officer and horse). This entrant won second place overall.

gallery_17088_3782_75882.jpg

gallery_17088_3782_70229.jpg

The following four showpieces, I believe received either a silver or bronze medal in the showpiece category.

gallery_17088_3782_286021.jpg

gallery_17088_3782_243968.jpg

gallery_17088_3782_254497.jpg

gallery_17088_3782_128218.jpg

and one last showpiece that showed variety of the entries

gallery_17088_3782_64285.jpg

The third overall winner was the pastry chef from Lumiere for her plated dessert.

Edited by lemon curd (log)

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

That is amazing.

I had the people from Far Met in for dinner after a long day. They were in awe of the things that they had seen.

I heard all about the RCMP piece. It was amazing to see the detail.

If I can get three hearts in chocolate by dragging a toothpick through chocolate in a pool of Anglaise, I think I have a flair for dessert plating.

Those pictures are amazing.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Fantastic pictures.  It's amazing what can be done with chocolate - thanks for sharing!

Was there sampling? :wink:

Unfortunately there was no sampling. Bonbons entrants were required to produce 10 of each type (3 types in total). When I returned after the judging, the judges had consumed most of the bonbons. My guess is that leftovers went to AI Dubrulle students????

I often have to sacrifice and taste my coworkers' creations in various stages of development - it's a tough job but someone has to do it : )

Edited by lemon curd (log)

Currently reading:

Just finished reading:

With the safari plaque - was that done with a mold?  And does the chocolatier have to make the mold themselves? 

Amazing stuff - I particularly liked the stuff from entry #8.  Very zen japanese.  Chomp.

I'm not sure who did the safari plaque - it was already all set up when I arrived. My guess is that they did not use a mold but carved it. The rules were silent on molds. However I believe that most international competitors have their specialty molds made by Chef Rubber in Las Vegas.

Currently reading:

Just finished reading:

Wow....those are magnificant! I've never heard of that competition before. Is that only within Canada? and how many years have they done it?

I have no talent in art and I admire professionals with those types of skills...

-Robert

www.chocolateguild.com

Wow....those are magnificant! I've never heard of that competition before. Is that only within Canada? and how many years have they done it?

I have no talent in art and I admire professionals with those types of skills...

-Robert

www.chocolateguild.com

See the 'competition' link in my first post for more details on the competition. It is held annually in Vancouver and this is the second year. Last years competition pictures can be found in another Vancouver thread entitled "West Coast Chocolate Festival'.

Currently reading:

Just finished reading: