• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a suggestion for tonight

tippingvelvet

Need a restaurant suggestion for this evening in the Morristown, Madison, Florham Park Area, Whippany, etc. (I've recently been to Pazzo Pazzo, Sushi Lounge and Origins so I'm looking for some place different.) Not interested in Copeland, Calliloo or Famished Frog.) Can be BYO or Not. Moderately priced - entrees $17-$25, good food.

Brick Oven had a fire in August, I'd be surprised if they are reopened already.

Also, in Madison, maybe Mama Tucci's or Poor Herbie's.

Mamma Tucci's is gone (I liked it there too.) I also liked the Brick Oven, but not sure when they are re-opening. What's Poor Herbie's like?

Brick Oven had a fire in August, I'd be surprised if they are reopened already.

Also, in Madison, maybe Mama Tucci's or Poor Herbie's.

Mamma Tucci's is gone (I liked it there too.) I also liked the Brick Oven, but not sure when they are re-opening. What's Poor Herbie's like?

Right, I forgot Mamma Tucci's is in Livingston now. Terra Mare, next to their old location is good also.

Poor Herbies is mostly a burger/ steak place, good prime rib, cozy if not kitchsy atmophere, casual. Depending on when you're going, it could be crowded with Giants fans.

In Whippany, Billy's Red Room is super casual and generally always an experience.

What type of food are you leaning towards? And can I ask why you don't want to go to Copelands?

Monday is a tough night to eat out in New Jersey-- here are some places in this area that are open:

973 Restaurant-- Florham Park

American Grill-- Randolph

Il Capriccio-- Whippany

Ora-- Morristown

Serenade-- Chatham

The Station-- Mountain Lakes

Monday is traditional day off for most restos in NJ. On a Tuesday, your choices would increase exponentially. But perhaps one of these will appeal to you...

Don't know if they're open on Monday's, but you can also try...

Guerriero's (sp?)- relatively new Italian restaurant on South St in Morristown

Andaman Sea- similar to Origin, reviewed this weekend in NYTimes, also Morristown

Settebello- Italian, slightly more upscale vs Guerriero's. Prices are likely in the lower 20s.

Moghul- Great Indian in Morristown

Dublin Pub/Grasshopper- Irish bars with good pub grub, both in Morristown

Asahi- Small sushi place off the Green in Morristown, near Morristown Diner/Burger King

Have you been to 973 Restaurant? Never heard of it. What kind of food/atmosphere?

Monday is a tough night to eat out in New Jersey--  here are some places in this area that are open:

973 Restaurant-- Florham Park

American Grill-- Randolph

Il Capriccio--  Whippany

Ora--  Morristown

Serenade--  Chatham

The Station--  Mountain Lakes

Monday is traditional day off for most restos in NJ.  On a Tuesday, your choices would increase exponentially.  But perhaps one of these will appeal to you...

I haven't been to 973 although their prices look high and the ambiance looks low, particularly given the destination (a strip mall). No where to go for an nice after dinner drink. Although there is now a Dunkin Donuts there. :rolleyes:

Andaman's is closed Monday's unfortunately, I love their food and get take out there regularly. Although it's awkward to walk through the restaurant to get to the cashier.

I've heard horror stories about the food at the Grasshopper. Multiple reports of food poisioning from people who work in the industry. I can barely tolerate the place for a beer, it's over packed, the staff gets rude about letting people in the "back door" after 10 and that parking lot freaks me out so badly that I hate walking around the building to go in the front. When I do get bullied into going there, I have 911 on speed dial and have seen about 10 arrests there. And I've lived in town all my life. I'd rather walk into Danny's Pub. And that says a lot.

Sorry for the tangent. Where did you wind up going tonight?

I haven't been to 973 although their prices look high and the ambiance looks low, particularly given the destination (a strip mall). No where to go for an nice after dinner drink. Although there is now a Dunkin Donuts there. :rolleyes:

Andaman's is closed Monday's unfortunately, I love their food and get take out there regularly. Although it's awkward to walk through the restaurant to get to the cashier.

I've heard horror stories about the food at the Grasshopper. Multiple reports of food poisioning from people who work in the industry. I can barely tolerate the place for a beer, it's over packed, the staff gets rude about letting people in the "back door" after 10 and that parking lot freaks me out so badly that I hate walking around the building to go in the front. When I do get bullied into going there, I have 911 on speed dial and have seen about 10 arrests there. And I've lived in town all my life. I'd rather walk into Danny's Pub. And that says a lot.

Sorry for the tangent. Where did you wind up going tonight?

I ended up at Piccollo Cafe (in the spot that used to be Mamma Tucci's in Madison). It's been there about 6 mos. I thought it was OK. My friend and I split the Picollo Salad which consisted of poached pears, candied walnuts, gorganzola and greens with a raspberry vinagrette....very good. For an entree (special) I had shrimp and peas with a buternut squash sauce over tortelinni (I passed on the tortelinni and had additional veggies.) I thought this was just OK, shrimp was mushy and the whole combo just didn't mesh well. Might have gone better on tortelinni, so that might have been my fault. My friend had a special also which was sword fish chunks in a porcini mushroom sauce over linguini. Again didn't mesh very well, but OK. I would probably give the place another try though. We also had two cups of coffee and without tip it was $62.00