• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with fried shallots

jfilmm

I keep attempting fried shallots (for toppings, etc) with unfortunate results. I heat some vegetable or canola oil, finely slice some shallots crosswise, and fry them. Unfortunately they over-brown right before they get crispy. The result is a few crispy rings, but most of them are dark brown (nearly black) and bitter and soggy. Should the burner be on a lower setting or higher? I have had it on medium.

Put the heat on medium to hot first (to get your pan nice and hot) and when you put the shallots in, turn down the heat to low. Don't leave your pan unattended. Gently move the shallots all around to get even exposure to the bottom of the pan. When they turn opaque, it won't be long when they get caramelized (brown at the edges). Turn the heat off the and remove from the pan to prevent overcooking.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Put the shallots in cold oil and bring up to a "soft "fry. Stir constanly to avoid any burning on the edges, and to break up the rings. Have a plate w/ paer towels ready, and a strainer(fine mesh) and a pot at the ready. When the shallots are amber, strain them immediately (the oil into the pot) and lay the shallots out on the paper covered plate. Salt and allow to cool and dry. Save the oil for another fry, or even saute. You cannot walk away while they are frying, as they will turn in a second.

I regularly make fried shallots to top SE Asian dishes. I deep fry them naked (no coating or seasoning whatsoever). They always come out golden brown and crispy, and I have no problems with burning. One thing I've found is imperative is not to overload the frying vessle. Another thing is not to drop in all the shallots at once, because doing so causes a lot of steam, which both prevents the shallots from crisping up, and risks causing the oil to boil over.