• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC Style Pizza in the Bay Area

ghost

Hey all, I moved out to the Bay area from NJ about 5 months ago. Ever since getting out here I've been in NYC style pizza withdraw. The other day I stopped by a new pizzeria in San Jose that sells perfect NY style street pizza, even by the slice if you want. The pizza maker is from Philly, and worked in NY and in NJ. As a former east coast resident, I'll swear this is some of the best NY style pizza I've ever had. Definitely check it out if you've been craving a slice of home!

A Slice of NY (www.asliceofny.com)

3443 Stevens Creek Blvd., San Jose, CA (between Winchester and San Tomas)

The owners Kirk and Marguerite are really nice and passionate about pizza. Let me know if you stop by!

WhizWit.net -- My blog on Food, Life, and Politics

Hey all, I moved out to the Bay area from NJ about 5 months ago.  Ever since getting out here I've been in NYC style pizza withdraw.  The other day I stopped by a new pizzeria in San Jose that sells perfect NY style street pizza, even by the slice if you want.  The pizza maker is from Philly, and worked in NY and in NJ.  As a former east coast resident, I'll swear this is some of the best NY style pizza I've ever had.  Definitely check it out if you've been craving a slice of home!

A Slice of NY  (www.asliceofny.com)

3443 Stevens Creek Blvd., San Jose, CA (between Winchester and San Tomas)

The owners Kirk and Marguerite are really nice and passionate about pizza.  Let me know if you stop by!

Good to know - thanks, ghost. I am a transplanted New Yawka too - and always spanning the globe looking for the perfect slice...

Stu Fisher - Owner

Tastee Cheese

www.tasteecheese.com

stu@tasteecheese.com

Excellent, thanks for sharing this, ghost! I've been in the Bay Area a lot longer but still miss New York/New Haven style pizza. I usually get my local approximate fix from Amici's East Coast Pizzeria (there are a few branches around including in Mountain View). I will definately check out "A Slice of NY".

For your excursions to SF, here is a thread that I started on SF Pizza.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

this had better be the real deal!  my husband and i live on stevens creek blvd...we're always complaining about not having ny style pizza...

thanks for the tip.  man, i miss new york.

(but not the weather, thank you very much  :raz: )

Definitely post if you go! They even make real NY Sicilian style pizza. Dead ringer for any Ray's you'd find in Manhattan. :-) Delicious!

WhizWit.net -- My blog on Food, Life, and Politics

• 2 weeks later...

well, ghost, i finally ordered a pie from "a slice of ny". i'd say they're about 97% there on authenticity!

i'm so happy to have found a place that is similar to ny pizza. my husband is happier!

i will say their prices are a little higher than ny ($3.50 for a slice? in new york, it's about $2.50 for a slice and a drink.), but i'm willing to pay a premium to get it so close to home.

also, they're pretty friendly folk who were happy to hear that their business was getting some mention on eGullet.

if anyone is nearby and misses good ny pizza, this is your place!