• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

drink at pear tree?

jakov

i plan to dine solo at the pear tree in burnaby. after a quick search in egullet, i would like to try lobster cappuccino, lamb shank, and crème brûlée. what i am not sure of is the drink. i do not drink wine or beer and am not sure whether having a coke or a coffee would ruin the whole thing.

could anyone please give me some input about drinks? thank you.

jakov :smile:

I would most likely have sparkling or still water with my meal if I could not drink wine. A ginger ale (or lemonade or possibly iced tea) in a pinch. Coffee tends to work well with dessert, but not other courses, in my experience.

Enjoy your dinner!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

i plan to dine solo at the pear tree in burnaby. after a quick search in egullet, i would like to try lobster cappuccino, lamb shank, and crème brûlée. what i am not sure of is the drink. i do not drink wine or beer and am not sure whether having a coke or a coffee would ruin the whole thing.

jakov  :smile:

Why don't you just ask your server, the sommelier, or Stephanie (owner, and wife of the chef) for some guidance? Still/sparkling water is a safe choice, but I'm sure they have other better options. After all, Chambar did a non-alchoholic pairing menu a while back, so there are other options.

A.

jakov  :smile:

Why don't you just ask your server, the sommelier, or Stephanie (owner, and wife of the chef) for some guidance? Still/sparkling water is a safe choice, but I'm sure they have other better options. After all, Chambar did a non-alchoholic pairing menu a while back, so there are other options.

A.

I'd agree with Arne. They will easily make a drink (non-alcocholic) for you to complement the food. Possibly a lychee based drink for the lobster and a flavoured iced coffee for the lamb are some options.

Cheers.

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

thank you for your reply.

i would probably have a ginger ale or lemonade in case my server could not suggest anything better.

i am a simple guy, a pepsi and sirloin oscar at keg would make me very happy, and hoping that i could learn some sophisticated things from the gurus on egullet.

first thing i got from egullet is that pear tree is a nice place in burnaby to go and i have been living in burnaby for many years and know nothing about it. so i will try it out.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

hi everyone,

i have just had dinner at pear tree and it was excellent.

the nice lady with a beautiful smile welcomed me and took my umbrella. i did not have a reservation and was lucky enough to be sat in the lounge.

i ordered the three courses as planned and asked about the drinks. i was given a rather long list to choose from and many of them i have never heard of. it was kind of hard to decide and i settled with ginger ale. the nice lady suggested to have some kind of juice in it and brought me a pink drink. it was tasty but i will have lemonade next time.

first came the lobster cappuccino. it was surprisingly smooth and a little creamy. nice, i love it. i had the lamb shank as main course and it was perfectly prepared. i used to have a lot of chicken and beef and not much lamb. tonight’s lamb taste great but a little ‘flat’. i cannot find an exact english word for the feeling and flat is the one that i feel is close. i am not sure whether it make sense to you.

since i was so full, i struggled a bit to decide whether i should have no dessert, and i gave up because crème brûlée seemed so much irresistible. it was so… so …, sorry, i have no word for this, you probably know what i mean if you had the crème brûlée at the pear tree.

i had a great dinner and very enjoyable time and will certainly come back again.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: