• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in downtown Atlanta

sara

Hi

I'll be staying at th Ritz Carlton downtown this week and need some dinner suggestions. I prefer great food in a quiet environment where a serious conversation can be had. No need for amazing wine lists (since I'm preggie) nor do I care if it's a hot scene. The closer to the Ritz the better, and nothing over $75 pp without alcohol.

Thanks!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Sara, you are fortunate to be able to dine in your hotel and their prime offering for guests is Atlanta Grill which is inside the hotel itself.

I might also suggest another downtown favorite: City Grill which is not far from where you will be staying.

Silk is yet another option, offering Oriental dining.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Atlanta Grill and City Grill are both great suggestions. Unfortunately, that's nearly the end of the list of quality, high end restaurants in this area (I'm sitting two blocks from the Ritz at work, at the moment). If you want to walk somewhere good, those are pretty much your only two options. Les Fleurs de Lis may be worth trying if you want to keep some money in your pocket. I've only been for lunch, but it was good. Nice, cozy little atmosphere but not on the level of the Atlanta or City Grills.

If you are up for a short drive, Rathbun's is close to downtown. Excellent. Not the quietest place in the world, but not loud either. Midtown is really closer than most people think at a mere 3 miles away. There are countless options there including Park 75, Nan Thai Fine Dining, Bacchanalia, Food Studio, Ecco and MF Sushibar. Bacchanalia is above your price point ($68 for the four course menu before tax/tip) but is worth every penny, in my opinion.

If you still aren't satisfied with the options, you'll have to travel to Buckhead, which again, isn't that far. 15-20 minute drive in non-rush hour.

• 1 month later...
Is there anything edible in the Hilton Atlanta on 255 Courtland Street NE?

In a word, no.

The Trader Vic's is there, so I suppose that you might check it out if you were in the mood for kitsch, but I wouldn't. One of the most expensive restaurants in Atlanta is in the Hilton, Nikolai's Roof. At one time it was the restaurant for big fancy dinners in Atlanta, but those days are long past. There are still people who go there for reasons of nostalgia (I'm assuming), but the rest of us have better things to spend our money on. If you do go, in spite of this warning, no whining.

The downtown Hilton is a short walk from the downtown Ritz Carlton: two blocks west, two blocks south (though that will depend on which door you exit).

The downtown and Midtown areas are both served by MARTA trains, and you can certainly use them. The trains are less frequent in non-rush hour periods, so consider that when you're planning your trip.

Midtown is immediately north of downtown but stretches for quite a ways north on Peachtree, so the cost of the taxi ride will vary some. Not prohibitive in any case. Note that you'll be able to catch a cab easily in downtown, particularly at your hotel, but that it's nearly impossible to hail a cab anywhere else in town. The restaurant can call one for you as your dinner draws to a close. Also note that cabbies here not only don't know how to find most restaurants, they're also often not familiar with much of Atlanta, so try and have directions to the restaurant and the phone number with you.

Can you pee in the ocean?

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be in Atlanta, staying at the Marriott Marquis, at the end of February. Anything edible and/or noteworthy in or near the hotel? What I've read online suggests there's a dearth of good food downtown. I'm not in need of anything fancy--just reasonably priced and worth eating.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Voodoo's correct. But there are a number of interesting places at a variety of price points within a short cab ride of downtown hotels. For example, while midtown is close and direct, a right angle at North Avenue or Ponce leads quickly to some interesting places: The Spotted Dog (there's a 24/7 diner on the West Peachtree side of the adjacent building, and a Cantonese place catty-corner from that), Mary Mac's, MF Sushibar (pizza and Thai -- and The Spaghetti Factory! -- in the same complex); around the corner (admittedly aways around the corner, but not unreasonably so) is Shaun's; a little further up North are Manuel's and Repast.

Not all of these are two- or three-star food; Repast, MF Sushibar and maybe Shaun's (haven't been there, but his reputation is promising) being the best of the lot, but they're worth a visit, and stars aren't always what you're after anyway. Especially if you travel for a living, sometimes all you want is decent food, close-by, that isn't room service. Just keep therese's advice in mind:

. . . cabbies here not only don't know how to find most restaurants, they're also often not familiar with much of Atlanta, so try and have directions . . . with you.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Not all of these are two- or three-star food; Repast, MF Sushibar and maybe Shaun's (haven't been there, but his reputation is promising) being the best of the lot, but they're worth a visit, and stars aren't always what you're after anyway.

I've been to Shaun's once so far, and we're looking forward to going back. Very appealing space (the old Deacon Burton's place), and though the food was a bit uneven on our visit last month I expect that to smooth out pretty quickly. It's actually located in Candler Park, very close to the Candler Park MARTA station, so you could easily use public transit to get there.

Another option that I use when entertaining guests who are staying downtown is Pura Vida. It's not downtown, but because it's very close to Freedom Parkway it's a very quick ride via cab (but remember, look it up ahead of time). Pura Vida serves tapas, so it's great for a group, and the food is way cooler than the word "tapas" suggests (unless "tapas" calls to mind foie gras for you). It's very popular, so definitely reserve unless you're going very early.

Not all of these are two- or three-star food; Repast, MF Sushibar and maybe Shaun's (haven't been there, but his reputation is promising) being the best of the lot, but they're worth a visit, and stars aren't always what you're after anyway.

I've been to Shaun's once so far, and we're looking forward to going back. Very appealing space (the old Deacon Burton's place), and though the food was a bit uneven on our visit last month I expect that to smooth out pretty quickly. It's actually located in Candler Park, very close to the Candler Park MARTA station, so you could easily use public transit to get there.

Another option that I use when entertaining guests who are staying downtown is Pura Vida. It's not downtown, but because it's very close to Freedom Parkway it's a very quick ride via cab (but remember, look it up ahead of time). Pura Vida serves tapas, so it's great for a group, and the food is way cooler than the word "tapas" suggests (unless "tapas" calls to mind foie gras for you). It's very popular, so definitely reserve unless you're going very early.

that being said (about Shaun's in Deacon Burton's old spot) is "Son's Place" still open? It was in that general area and I can not remember if SP was/is in the same store front or just near-by. I drove past there not too long ago and just did not even think to look.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

that being said (about Shaun's in Deacon Burton's old spot) is "Son's Place" still open?  It was in that general area and I can not remember if SP was/is in the same store front or just near-by.  I drove past there not too long ago and just did not even think to look.

Yep, Son's Place is still open, and in fact was recently featured on Chris Cognac's "Hungry Detective" show.

Son's place is right around the corner from Shaun's, right at Dekalb Ave.

Edited to point out that I indicated the wrong MARTA station in my post above: it's the Inman Park/Reynoldstown Station that you want, not Candler Park. The station's at Dekalb Ave and Hurt St, so you'd backtrack one block west to Elizabeth. You'll see Son's Place at that intersection. Turn right onto Elizabeth and Shaun's is at the first insection (with Edgewood Ave).

Edited by therese (log)

• 3 weeks later...
any news on the french place at the intercontinental?

The restaurant is called Au Pied de Cochon, and it's part of a Paris-based group of brasseries/bistros that includes Le Procope. Raw bar prominently featured, as well as standard French takes on steak and potatoes sorts of things. Not cheap.

Decor very rococco: gigantic paintings of pigs, velvet curtains, chandeliers of glass fruit.

I've not been back since our first disastrous visit soon after they'd opened, so I can only hope it's improved. The catering at the Intercontinental is top-notch (I schedule meetings there), so clearly somebody has his act together.

And note that the Intercontinental is in Buckhead, not downtown (as the title of this thread might lead one to believe).

• 3 months later...

I wanted to bump this thread up to the top for a little while. Ms. Alex will be at a couple of conferences in Atlanta this month (including one that starts this Thursday) and will be staying downdown (Peachtree Center area). Are there any updates on places to eat within a short walking distance? (She sprained her ankle a couple of weeks ago.) Entrees at ~$25 or less would be preferred. Les Fleurs de Lis Cafe sounds perfect. (Their web site just brings up a list of sponsored links, though. What's up with that?) Any other recommendations?

She also is willing to eat within a quarter-mile or so of a MARTA station, which obviously expands her options greatly. Bistro/Trattoria/Progressive American usually are her preferred styles, though she's open to other suggestions. The Globe looks like a good choice in that regard. Anything else to recommend?

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Add Nam to the list of very good restaurants not quite in downtown but close enough to drive. I had an excellent meal there Saturday night. It's definitely a top 10 restaurant in my book.

Add Nam to the list of very good restaurants not quite in downtown but close enough to drive.  I had an excellent meal there Saturday night.  It's definitely a top 10 restaurant in my book.

Thanks for the recommendation. Nam looks like a winner, but unfortunately it's not close enough to the MARTA station, at least not this time.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I work downtown, and I can't recommend much (especially in that price range). Les Fleurs De Lis is outstanding, and FAB (French-American Brasserie) just opened (and is much closer to Peachtree Center). Azio's would be an option for a low-priced Italian meal.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. This past week Ms. Alex ate at Les Fleurs de Lis and Pacific Rim. She said the food was excellent and fairly priced. She also ate at Sun Dial, the rotating restaurant on the 73rd floor of the Westin, where she was staying. She said the food was surprisingly good but at typically high hotel restaurant prices. FAB is on her radar for next week's trip.

I also really like Nan alot. I've been there 3 times and everytime I left impresed. For the full feel of the restaurant, make sure they seat you in the main dining room

Another suggestion on P'tree just north of the Fox, bistro style, fun place, is Baraonda. Food is middle of the road.

Edited by atlantadan (log)