• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can I "Torch" My Swiss Meringue?

Dailey

i'm making this cake tonight for a get-together tomarro but was wondering if i could used my basic swiss meringue recipe instead of the one in the link. will i be able to iced it in the morning and torch it later on in the day? it seems the icing they used is more like an italian meringue, not sure if it would make a difference, thanks! :biggrin:

Their description says it is Swiss meringue, but it is made as Italian meringue. I used to make Swiss meringue for key lime pie and browned it right away and it would stay good for several days, I am not sure if you don't brown it right away if it will hold up well since I have never done it that way. Hope this is helpful.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

Their description says it is Swiss meringue, but it is made as Italian meringue.  I used to make Swiss meringue for key lime pie and browned it right away and it would stay good for several days,  I am not sure if you don't brown it right away if it will hold up well since I have never done it that way.  Hope this is helpful.

thanks! it just occured to me that the swiss meringue in the link doesn't call for butter. do you think if i used butter in the recipe it would burn? :unsure:

If you add butter it will become Swiss meringue buttercream.  If you try to brown it, it will melt.  What they are refering to is just meringue.

makes sense, thanks! :smile: so its kinda like a 7 minutes-type of icing. hmmm, if i used the swiss meringue recipe in the link, could i iced it a few hours early and torch it at the party? i would like to take the dessert already fully prepared to the party...i'm sure the kitchen will be occupied by the host getting all the last minute stuff together and i don't want to get in her way, thanks again!

If you add butter it will become Swiss meringue buttercream.  If you try to brown it, it will melt.  What they are refering to is just meringue.

makes sense, thanks! :smile: so its kinda like a 7 minutes-type of icing. hmmm, if i used the swiss meringue recipe in the link, could i iced it a few hours early and torch it at the party? i would like to take the dessert already fully prepared to the party...i'm sure the kitchen will be occupied by the host getting all the last minute stuff together and i don't want to get in her way, thanks again!

Yes. But I think you can torch it beforehand as well--not clear on this.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog