• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wegman's in East Hanover Round 2

I heard some interesting news yesterday as i got my car washed on Rt. 10 in East Hanover. It seems that wegmans has bought out the Burger King on Route 10 across from Home depot. they are going to knock it down and redo that strip of route 10, which will give the proposed wegmans a better access to the highway WITHOUT causing traffic headaches. Becuase of this apparently the yown will now approve the Wegmans at the original site next to the High school. I hope this is true. i can't wait because frankly its a schlep to drive to Bridgewater or Woodbridge.

Jeff

Interesting...

So this information comes straight from your car wash person? :)

I've been to Wegmans in Bridgewater a few times, and, although the selection was great, it seemed like everything was about 40 cents more than what I pay for it elsewhere. For food. The non food items (like kitchenware) were double what I normally pay for them. Granted, I do have to hunt around a bit for my bargains and it does cost me some gas/time to do so, but even counting in gas, Wegmans is quite a bit more expensive.

What I am happy about, though, is any hope whatsoever that the traffic headaches by Burger King can be resolved. The engineering of that intersection is probably the worst in the county. If it could be re-worked, I'd be very happy indeed. Happy enough that I might actually shop at Wegmans once in a while. Who know's, I've never gotten a Wegmans circular. Maybe with a circular in hand, I can score a few deals.

Wait a sec... I get Kings circulars and laugh at those... I hope Wegmans isn't more of the same.

Is that the site of the long gone Varityper?

What? I'm confused-- in my 10 years of driving I've never hear of a Varityper. Or seen one. Sounds exotic :raz:

I'd LOVE a Wegmans, I remember the rumors during round 1. Route 10 is a big mess period in my opinion though, especially with the construction going on in Livingston. Makes me nuts on my way to work, but it is Jersey after all.

Hi..Please explain what Varityper is...I have not heard of it...Sorry to sound negative, but I haven't loved Wegman's...I guess I would pass it on the way to Costco and probably stop there on the return trip...So sadly, since I live in West Orange, ShopRite which used to be a nice store has SO DETERIORATED in my opinion..and become more expensive and has horrid check-out clerks, and is dirty, etc, etc, maybe it would be a GOOD thing to have some competition...and since I go to Costco for milk, etc every week..I would be really willing to try Wegmans again :rolleyes::rolleyes:

AM Varityper is the company that used to occupy the large empty office building behind where Burger King and My Limo is. It was a typsetting company. 11 Mt. Pleasant Avenue, East Hanover, NJ.

Here is a retro link: http://pdf.textfiles.com/jscott/1980-varityper-brochure.pdf

I believe there is a school directly to the left of the building.

I'm surprised that Wegman's wouldn't use the space previously occupied by Office Max/Office Depot. Unless that space is too small perhaps.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Hi..Please explain what Varityper is...I have not heard of it...

Here is a link to a page showing the original Varityper.

http://staff.xu.edu/~polt/typewriters/varityper.html

Years ago, the only way to set type was by using lead (hot type). Varityper used a machine similar to a typewriter to set type directly on paper (cold type) and it remained very popular until the advent of PC's.

I'm surprised that Wegman's wouldn't use the space previously occupied by Office Max/Office Depot.  Unless that space is too small perhaps.

I would have loved it if they took over the Kmart/Pathmark shopping center in West Orange, and made a Wegmans. That would be one way to modernize that shopping center. Well, We've got Whole Foods there now, so it's a moot point.

I agree on Wegman's prices being a good bit higher than the competition. But once in a blue moon when you're looking for that special cut of meat, seafood.... it may be worth it.

Plus their breads are all made on site in the brick oven if I remember correctly. The buffet is mildly interesting as well.

I'm surprised that Wegman's wouldn't use the space previously occupied by Office Max/Office Depot.  Unless that space is too small perhaps.

That space would be way too small and the parking lot is way too small as well.

Ok... I'll take your word on the size of the building, but there's no way that there is a parking shortage. That lot is HUGE.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Ok... I'll take your word on the size of the building, but there's no way that there is a parking shortage.  That lot is HUGE.

Not huge enough for a Wegmans! :wacko:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Ok... I'll take your word on the size of the building, but there's no way that there is a parking shortage. That lot is HUGE.

Try going to Costco on a busy Saturday, you can barely find a space in that lot. Office Max, which was a big store, used almost no spaces in that lot. Go to the Wegman's in Bridgewater and look at their lot on a weekday, its usually full. The Princeton store, which is even bigger, has a bigger lot and that lot is also usually full. There's no way that lot is big enough for a Wegman's.

Try going to Costco on a busy Saturday, you can barely find a space in that lot. Office Max, which was a big store, used almost no spaces in that lot. Go to the Wegman's in Bridgewater and look at their lot on a weekday, its usually full. The Princeton store, which is even bigger, has a bigger lot and that lot is also usually full. There's no way that lot is big enough for a Wegman's.

You are so right about that parking lot...but it would be nice if Wegmans did move there. In thinking about it, it would give Shop Rite some really, really needed competition. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ummmm... that town meeting was from 10/11. The first post in this thread was from 10/22. Wegmans may very have purchased the BK property in response to this ruling.

Also:

It may still include a full-service grocery store, which the township lacks, and would have to improve traffic in the Route 10-Mount Pleasant area.