• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food on a Stick Party - Menu Ideas?

Teri Everitt

Sorry no pictures but, this is what we ate:

Chicken Satay

Sweet Potato Brochettes

Watermelon, grapes, cantaloupe and mandarin orange....on skewers

Brownies on really cool bamboo skewers with a looped handle

Peanut Butter cheesecakes (on popsicle sticks) dipped in chocolate and peanuts

Roasted fingerling potatoes on frilly toothpicks with chipotle mayo and garlic and herb sour cream

Black Forest Cheesecake with a chocolate mousse topping (my boss cheated and brought something with no stick.)

Sandwiches (2 per skewer, with watercress and grape tomato garnish)

Red pepper jelly, brie, watercress and cucumber

Goats cheese, tomato, avocado, cucumber and sea salt

Proscuitto, St Paulin cheese, maple mustard and watercress

Consumed with various wines, sparkling lemonade, mineral water etc.

Music menu:

People For Audio .........And this will be our homecoming

Do Make Say Think.......Goodbye Enemy Airship the Landlord is Dead

Form One............Self Titled

It was loads of fun.............everyone should plan their own "Food on a Stick" party.

Do it!

If only I'd worn looser pants....

I like the idea of a "Food on a Stick" party, just need some hints on serving. Would the skewered items usually just be laid on a platter, or inserted into melons, cabbages, etc. ? Anyone have unusual ideas or photos?

• 7 months later...

Greetings all, this is my first post, so forgive me if I'm not posting in the correct forum and point me in the right direction!

I had an odd idea for a party, and I'm looking for menu ideas!

Food on a stick. Any suggestions?

So far I've thought of fondue, corn dogs, and tooth picking assorted cheeses and fruits--all good tasting things, but I want something FUN and DIFFERENT! Even a twist, doing something deconstructed would be really cool, I'm willing to try anything, so please, feel free to be as creative as you like!

Now the stipulations include it has to be eaten on a stick, any kind of stick (tooth pick, skewer, etc.), and it should be on the inexpensive side because I am a college student who lives by the good graces of my parents (one being eGullet user Kim Shook) and working a min. wage paying job. Also something that might be easily prepared would be helpful.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Greetings all, this is my first post, so forgive me if I'm not posting in the correct forum and point me in the right direction!

I had an odd idea for a party, and I'm looking for menu ideas!

Food on a stick.  Any suggestions?

So far I've thought of fondue, corn dogs, and tooth picking assorted cheeses and fruits--all good tasting things, but I want something FUN and DIFFERENT!  Even a twist, doing something deconstructed would be really cool, I'm willing to try anything, so please, feel free to be as creative as you like!

Now the stipulations include it has to be eaten on a stick, any kind of stick (tooth pick, skewer, etc.), and it should be on the inexpensive side because I am a college student who lives by the good graces of my parents (one being eGullet user Kim Shook) and working a min. wage paying job.  Also something that might be easily prepared would be helpful.

Thanks for the thoughts!

The Minnesota State Fair is reputed to be one of the venues food-on-a-stick affictionados make pilgrimages to.

One popular item, which is really pretty good and well served upon a stick, is lightly breaded deep fried walleye. That particular fish might be expensive where you live, but any similar fish would work.

SB (on a lighter note, what's more appropriate than fish sticks on sticks? :wink: )

Edited by srhcb (log)

I admit drooling and gagging at the same time. LOL

Wellllll, she did say

I want something FUN and DIFFERENT! Even a twist, doing something deconstructed would be really cool, I'm willing to try anything, so please, feel free to be as creative as you like!
:laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Greek salad on a stick (cherry tomato, cucumber chunks, feta cubes) you could serve with a dressing or just brush with olive oil.

Banana split on a stick (bananas coated in that marshmallow spread stuff, dipped in melted chocolate and rolled in nuts. You could put one of those cherries on top)

Minature Choc Ices from Delia Smith http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/miniatu...es,1408,RC.html

You could go totally retro and do one of my mothers signature dishes from the 80's.. Cheese cube (cheddar or Tasty), cabanossi (I am now wondering what that translates to, oh click link , so a mild salami would work) and a gherkin (sweet pickle) slice on a toothpick.

Grilled eggplant with proscuitto with some sort of cheesey mixture (maybe goat or something) spread on it and then threaded on the stick, so it sort of scrunches up. You could regrill it at that point to melt the cheese a little.

There are lots of Asian foods served on a stick. Thai or Indonesian satays and Japanese yakitori are the first to come to mind. For keeping within a budget, yakitori is great, since it tastes better with chicken thighs than breasts. That keeps things really cheap, as long as you're not attached to using organic, free-range chicken.

For yakitori, take 2 parts soya sauce, 2 parts mirin, 1 part sake, 1 part sugar and a little garlic and fresh ginger. Simmer until the sugar has dissolved. Thicken slightly with a slurry of equal parts cornstarch and water. (Use about one tablespoon of cornstarch to thicken about 1 cup of yakitori glaze.)

Cube some boneless chicken thighs and thread them onto bamboo skewers that have been soaked in water for half an hour, alternating with pieces of green onion. Grill them until cooked through. Towards the end of the cooking time, brush them with the glaze. If you start brushing the glaze on too early, it will burn and taste awful, so be careful!

These are also good for a party because they don't have to be served right off the grill, they can cool down a little. Just be sure to keep them warm so you don't give your guests food poisoning.

Another item you may want to look into, if you like Japanese food in general and miso in particular, is dengaku.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Here are some ideas from another egullet member who was throwing a "food on a stick" party...

click

Welcome to eGullet, floormee, and have fun with your get together. It will be interesting to see what you decide on making.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

A second generation egulleteer. I am so proud :raz: ! Hi, my Baby Bear!

Ok, ok, enough embarassing stuff. I think the idea of deconstructed stuff is cool. Tacos - flour tortilla rolls spread with a sour cream/shredded cheese mix with mini taco flavored meatballs inside.

Remember that all of this food is VERY labor intensive (especially the little ones), so make sure you have enough help to do it! (Sorry, more mom stuff).

Momma

• 6 months later...

Inspired by this thread, I'm throwing my very own "Food on a Stick" party next weekend. Rather than cook everything myself, I'm trying a new thing which is to relinquish a bit of control and have asked everyone to bring one or more "offerings" Originally I was going to make it a contest and provide stick-themed prizes (a DVD of "Stick It!", pick-up-sticks, stickers, etc.), but decided that was probably not in the spirit of "throw a low-stress party" :rolleyes:

Here is the invitation (none of the images used were, as far as I know, copyrighted, but I'll be happy to remove the image if someone tells me otherwise):

gallery_47119_4588_52266.jpg

I'm planning on making something from each category:

* Sangria on a stick (skewered fruit infused with a white sangria, served in a hollowed out watermelon)

* Bacon-wrapped, almond-stuffed dates

* BLT on a stick (grilled bread cube, bacon, lettuce, cherry tomato and roasted-garlic aioli)

* Something for dessert, probably one of the many fine ideas from this thread

I'll try to take pictures of the event itself to share--I'm hoping people will be creative in their stick food. My husband's boss says he's planning on taping popsicle sticks to Coors light cans--intellectually, if not culinarily interesting, you have to admit. :blink:

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

I'm doing a party next week with lots of sticks, including: red seedless grapes rolled in gorgonzola and walnuts, pineapple dusted with red chile, shrimp with tequila lime cream, meat balls and grilled chicken breasts served with three dipping sauces (hot wing, barbecue and terriyaki). It's a solution to the age old, many guests, no waiters, no tables problem.

you shouldve made lobster corn dogs. i make em with lobster and scallops...funny you made this thread cause today in class i made them :)

For a party where guests are threatening Coors on a popsicle stick (not to mention jello shots and actual reheated corndogs from Costco), I'm going to offer lobster??? :huh:

However, any time you want to bring some of those puppies over, I'll be glad to taste test! :biggrin:

Edited by BekkiM (log)
Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

I'm planning on making something from each category:

* Sangria on a stick (skewered fruit infused with a white sangria, served in a hollowed out watermelon)

* Bacon-wrapped, almond-stuffed dates

* BLT on a stick (grilled bread cube, bacon, lettuce, cherry tomato and roasted-garlic aioli)

* Something for dessert, probably one of the many fine ideas from this thread

I love the Sangria-on-a-Stick idea. I'm going to steal this for my best friend's graduation party next weekend! (And I'll probably do the BLT one too, just so we don't fall over from the sangria goodness).

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

• 2 weeks later...

Once again, I never managed to take any pictures of the food (I never managed to put on shoes or mascara either--it was quite a party), but the Food on a Stick concept was a roaring success. Most people brought fairly traditional stick foods: chicken satay, strawberries, popsicles, etc. But there were a few standout offerings:

* Mini cheeseburgers on a stick, complete with tiny buns (she must have raided a White Castle)

* City Chicken (someone from the Midwest is going to have to fill me in on this one, but basically it's some pork product that appears to be cooked in butter until it's fork-tender... Mmmmmm...)

* Kangaroo & wild boar kabobs

* Peanut-butter balls dipped in caramal, then dipped in chocolate

* Toll-house cookie cups with fudge filling

My BLTs were very well received and looked good too. The bacon-wrapped dates became bacon-wrapped dried apricots that had been stuffed with an almond and some goat cheese. I didn't get any of those because they were snapped up as soon as they came out of the oven.

My big failure was the sangria on a stick. It was too drippy and the fruit was too soft. I'm not sure what I would do next time to make it more appealing, but I ended up throwing most of it away the next morning (at which point I could barely face the smell of the brandy).

All-in-all, I highly recommend it as a party theme. Most everyone got into the spirit of the thing and had a good time coming up with ideas. Other than my sangria idea, there were no drinks on sticks, which I was a little disappointed about, but since a friend brought 100 jello shots, we really didn't need any more alcoholic beverages, so that was probably for the best.