• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food on a Stick Party - Menu Ideas?

Teri Everitt

moosnsqrl's already mentioned squidsickles (the first thing I thought of), but there's also things like baby octopi and quail. Given its size, the latter would probably require a slightly bigger stick to prop it up and perhaps some body armor.

I've also seen gizzards, hearts, fish balls, chunks of konnyaku and other refugee ingredients from oden served at food stalls in Taipei.

As for soup, it could technically be served on a stick if:

1. it didn't have to be served hot

2. one didn't mind eating it in the form of a popsickle

I'd have to think about what type of soup though; the ox tail jell-o was okay but I'm not sure I'd thrill to a frozen clam chowder.

A dessert on a stick that everyone would talk about? Durian (lends itself to an old colloquialism).

I think that meant the caterer in the article used NY strip, not that anyone was cheated in the skewering of lesser meat.

Yes. The recipe calls for NY Strip, my boyfriend's poker playing friends got sirloin.

I think if you skewered the rings (from the body sac) through the center on both sides (creating a 'butterfly' affect) and piled 5 or 6 rings on each stick, with a lovely tentacle on top, it would be quite attractive (in a Farallon sort of way). 

Uchi, here in Austin, makes a tako pop, baby octopus (the size of your thumb) marinated in sesame oil on a stick and grilled. One of my absolute favorite dishes.

I think if you skewered the rings (from the body sac) through the center on both sides (creating a 'butterfly' affect) and piled 5 or 6 rings on each stick, with a lovely tentacle on top, it would be quite attractive (in a Farallon sort of way). 

Uchi, here in Austin, makes a tako pop, baby octopus (the size of your thumb) marinated in sesame oil on a stick and grilled. One of my absolute favorite dishes.

I knew I should have patented it :biggrin:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

An old boss of mine who hailed from Minnesota had a running joke going with us employees about the myriad foods-on-a-stick glories of her home state's fair. I think the one that really knocked us all over laughing was fried walleye on a stick. :laugh:

What's so funny about that? :huh:

Here's a few more ideas, direct from Minnesota:

Fish Sticks on a Stick

Sticky Buns on a Stick

Eel Pout on a Stick (don't ask)

SB (reserving his spot at the fair) :laugh:

Still under development - Wild Rice on a Stick :raz:

Ahhh, The Great Minnesota Get Together. I'll never forget the awe and wonder on the face of my British husband when I introduced him to the world of food on sticks.

A couple of new things I heard about at the last fair...pork chops on a stick and spaghetti, yes, spaghetti on a stick. I think it was deep fried and then skewered. (Apparently fried spaghetti is a street food in Italy.)

This page http://gopher.mnstatefair.org/foodfinder/ has a link to a list of the foods at the 2005 fair. If you dig in a little under some of the food catagories or just search for "stick", you will likely find some unique options!

Here a few I dug out...

pancake wrapped around sausage on-a-stick

french toast sticks

cajun seasoned alligator sausage on-a-stick pistolette (french roll stuffed with spicy peppers, cheese and tomatoes)

cheese on-a-stick

"Vegetables aren't food. Vegetables are what food eats."

--

food.craft.life.

The Lunch Crunch - Our daily struggle to avoid boring lunches

Spicy, marinated shrimp grilled on a sugar cane skewer is always a hit and easy to do, as well.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

As for soup, it could technically be served on a stick if:

1. it didn't have to be served hot

2. one didn't mind eating it in the form of a popsickle

I'd have to think about what type of soup though; the ox tail jell-o was okay but I'm not sure I'd thrill to a frozen clam chowder.

A dessert on a stick that everyone would talk about? Durian (lends itself to an old colloquialism).

A frozen fruit soup would work well.

Jim

Excellent suggestions........you're all invited! (Like anyone in their right mind would visit Ottawa in winter)

Some of these are things I never would have thought of!

I already know what I am making, no idea what my guest are bringing...they were told to bring ANYTHING they could come up with, as long as its on a stick.

I have to say, you guys really know how to take a theme and run with it!

CanadianBakin........you should do a "Food on a Stick" party (you could reference your username and make something with....bacon! You could even have a "Food on a Stick" brunch.

If only I'd worn looser pants....

Ahhh, The Great Minnesota Get Together. I'll never forget the awe and wonder on the face of my British husband when I introduced him to the world of food on sticks.

C'mon, everyone knows that food tastes better on a stick!

Deep Fried Angels on a Stick (serves 4)

Mice in Place

4 Sticks

1 Qt Angels

2 Eggs well beaten

2 Cups Panko Crumbs

Salt & Pepper to taste

Oil for Deep Frying

Dip Stick in Egg, then in Angels, then into Panko Crumbs seasoned to taste

Repeat procedure until approximately 1 Cup of Angels adhere to the Stick

Repeat with remaining 3 Sticks

Deep fry until golden brown

SB (They're Empyreal!) :rolleyes:

An old boss of mine who hailed from Minnesota had a running joke going with us employees about the myriad foods-on-a-stick glories of her home state's fair. I think the one that really knocked us all over laughing was fried walleye on a stick. :laugh:

What's so funny about that? :huh:

Well, with that particular bunch of west coast extremely urbanized computer geeks, even the word "walleye" by itself was likely to elicit giggles, just because the word sounds funny to them. Probably half of them never even heard of it before, and I'd bet cash money none of them ever fished for one (I know I sure hadn't). Add to that the thought of this oddly-named fish served on a stick, and they were over the edge. Although, to be sure, that group was also rather easily amused. :rolleyes:

What a great idea for entertaining!

Tandoori paneer, chicken, anything...

Chicken Satay

Kababs

Cocktail sausages

Meatballs

Cubes of frittata

Please post loads of pictures of all the food-on-sticks!

Bob Blumer (The Surreal Gourmet) loves food on stick and has quite a few in his book "bites".

Maple Salmon Suckers

Coconut Shrimp Lollipops

Chorizo Corn Pups

Cocktail Dates (dates stuffed with parmesan and wrapped with bacon)

Inside Out BLTs

Chicken popsicles

Lemongrass Licks (layered fruit popsicles on lemongrass stalks)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

If you can get juicy apricots, halve them, skewer them end to end three to a stick, freeze them and dip them in melted chocolate just like chocolate covered frozen banana's. They have this at the Gilroy Garlic Fest and my wife and I ALWAYS get a stick or two. Damn good.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

For food on a stick ideas, look no further than the final chapter of Ellen Shapiro's Mongolia to China epic, which features an entire "food on a stick" market. Here's just a sampling of things I'm sure you'll want to try:

chi6.jpg

chi2.jpg

chi40.jpg

chi8.jpg

Be the first person in your neighborhood to make crispy starfish on a stick!!

--

Frozen chocolate-dipped bananas on sticks! Used to buy them at the Dairy Queen at Cape Henlopen every summer, but they're really easy to make as well. One of my hands-down favorite desserts.

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

Food on a stick party is on! Sunday night, 6:30-ish. Peanut butter cheesecakes have been cooked and are in the freezer to harden up for dipping in chocolate. I've parboiled the fingerling potatoes with about 5 cloves of garlic, they'll get tossed in olive oil, garlic and whatever tomorrow night and roasted off. I'll get the stuff for the sandwiches on skewers tomorrow morning.

My boss, who is French, does not seem to get the concept at all. Friday he pulled the other pastry chef aside and asked her to explain this "Food on a Stick" party to him. She told him to make some food, put it on a stick and bring it over....then we eat it........pretty simple, no? His reply...."I'll bring wine."

Speaking of wine, I don't really know what people are bringing food and beverage wise so I picked up:

1 bottle of Syrah

1 bottle of vinho verde

1 bottle of rose

1 bottle of Sauvignon Blanc

since I don't know what foods will be served apart from the ones I'm making, it seemed wise to go heavier on the white wines.

If I can get someone more technologically capable to post pictures of the food I will.