• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I have searched on this forum for some research on lardo but I was finding little and it was scattered all over. I wanted to start a thread where people could drop different recipes for making different types of lardo as well as recipes for enjoying it.

As I understand it, there are two main ways to cure lardo, by brining or dry-curing it. Aging also varies widely from 3-4 weeks to months. How do these different methods affect the flavor and which may be better for making lardo at home?

I should be getting some fat-back from a local farmer next week so i'd be excited to hear your input on making lardo.

Jeremy Behmoaras

Cornell School for Hotel Administration Class '09

I have searched on this forum for some research on lardo but I was finding little and it was scattered all over. I wanted to start a thread where people could drop different recipes for making different types of lardo as well as recipes for enjoying it.

As I understand it, there are two main ways to cure lardo, by brining or dry-curing it. Aging also varies widely from 3-4 weeks to months. How do these different methods affect the flavor and which may be better for making lardo at home?

I should be getting some fat-back from a local farmer next week so i'd be excited to hear your input on making lardo.

I've made lardo using the brining method...brined for 3 months. It is awesome. I believe i posted the details in the charcuterie thread. Take a look there. Basically it involves making a hot brine in which you steep your aromatics (sage, rosemary, juniper, bay leaf) and then let it cool. Soak the fat back in this for a time, eat.

jason

i haven't made lardo, but one thing i've noticed eating american-made product is that it seems to be very difficult getting backfat that is thick enough. i've been told this by mr. batali, too, whose first attempts i found to have good texture but to be really, really salty. he said he'd finally found backfat he was happy with and that future attempts would be better.

jmolinari - I did see that recipe, i'll definately give it a try.

russ - do you have any idea about how thick the fatback should be and on reducing the saltiness. I heard that it is possible to soak it in water for an hour or something but i wonder how that would affect the flavor.... And how did you get in touch with Mario B. he's the man!!!

Jeremy Behmoaras

Cornell School for Hotel Administration Class '09

• 3 years later...

I just acquired a small piece (1/2 lb) of locally made lardo from Knight Salumi. What is the best way to showcase this ingredient? Thin slices on homemade country bread sounds like a good start. I've never had lardo but have been looking for it since reading about it in Buford’s 'Heat'.

I have this idea that I could use it in spaghetti carbonara although this may be too rich - any thoughts? I have some artichokes already braised a la Tom Colicchio (think like a chef), so using them as a building block for spaghetti with lardo and artichokes is also an option.

Thanks for the idea demo5, that sounds delicious. Now I need to find guanciale! (Yes I could attempt making it but it would take a while). In the meantime, I will experiment. For now I will work under the assumption that lardo can be used in the same manner as pancetta.

• 9 months later...

Am another lardo-aficionado. But am determined to try the dry-cure method. any more details anyone?

I have quite a small piece in the freezer (about 400 gr), no skin, it consists of several smaller pieces unfortunately I think but I'm trying to keep the whole thing together.

thanks!

The Gastronomical Me

Russo-Soviet food, voluptuous stories, fat and offal – from a Russian snuggled in the Big Old Smoke.

Weird, I just bought a chunk of lardo from Oyama Meats at Granville Island Market earlier this week - have been reading about it too and they had it in stock on this visit. All I have done with it so far is slice it really thin and put it on thin slices of baguette and broiled it for crostini - quite yummy. Froze half to save it for this summer when I make pizza on the BBQ. Aside from pasta sauce are there any other good things to do with it?

Llyn Strelau

Calgary, Alberta

Canada