• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yet another wine pairing query...

sadistick

I am making a anniversary dinner for my parents this coming week, and was unsure as to which red wine would pair with:

White truffle pasta

and if possible - a wine that would pair with the pasta as well as with a calfs liver dish with a double smoked balsamic reduction.

Thanks in advance,

Justin

As white truffles hail from Piemonte and calf's liver dishes are part of its culinary tradition, I would strongly suggest any number of Piemontese wines. If your budget allows, a Barolo or Barbaresco of some age would be lovely; wines from 1989 and 1990 have been reentering the market from reputable producers of late, 1996, 1998 and 1999 options might be easier to find. If working with a more modest budget, look for one of the more special but traditional cuvees of Dolcetto such as G.D. (Aldo) Vajra's Dolcetto d'Alba "Coste & Fossati."

I'd also recommend a Barolo or Barbaresco. Stay with a regional wine and food match and it should be a delightful dinner.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG