• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Politics on Our Plates" by Amy Bentley

Peter B Wolf

BOOKS DISCUSSED IN THIS ESSAY

Heat: An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker, and Apprentice to a Dante-Quoting Butcher in Tuscany, by Bill Buford (Alfred A. Knopf, 2006)

Meals to Come: A History of the Future of Food, by Warren J. Belasco (University of California Press, 2006)

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals, by Michael Pollan (The Penguin Press, 2006)

The Way We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter, by Peter Singer and Jim Mason (Rodale Press, 2006)

What to Eat, by Marion Nestle (North Point Press, 2006)

Quote from the 'Review': " .........There are also fears that industrial food culture has damaged the social fabric as well as the environment. The rise of fast food combined with other social and cultural phenomena (more single-parent and two-income families, cars built with cup holders and food trays) have led to changes in domestic food practices, which have in turn been viewed as having affected family life and even civil society...."

I found this to be excellent commentary, ( a bit late in my posting ), Peter

http://chronicle.com/temp/reprint.php?id=y...bddl04j96zzr3cq

Peter

Interesting to see an academic view of all this. I'd never heard of the Belasco book - sounds like it could be an interesting read.

Since this appears to be a survey (of sorts) of food-related books from a political point-of-view, I'm dissapointed that she overlooked Nina Planck's Real Food: What to Eat and Why (excerpts in the Daily Gullet here and here).

EDIT: Corrected spelling of Planck's name.

Edited by edsel (log)

Wow, I can honestly say that I wasn't really expecting to stumble upon references to The Chronicle of Higher Education on this site. Thanks for the link!

" The Chronicle of Higher Education " , well, I have to read this because my eight years of Grammar School education in the old country many years ago, do not seem to suffice in this country.

Peter