• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian cocktails

Marco_Polo

I'm doing some research for 'Italian' cocktails that would be suitable for celebrating New Year. Prosecco cocktails - variations on the bellini but with fruit in season at this time of year - blood oranges, perhaps for a mimosa - might fit the bill.

Or course there are Italian classics - the negroni, Campari soda, etc. Or could be cocktails simply utilising Italian liqueurs or vermouths, or cocktails that originated in Italy, perhaps at famous bars.

Any limoncello based cocktails spring to mind?

Would appreciate any thoughts or ideas.

Thanks!

Marc

Sanbitter is a non-alcoholic Campari-like drink. It's a bit sweeter, but very close in flavor. I mix it with Aranciata or Orangina for non-drinkers at parties.

I've never tried Chinotto, but I believe it's close in flavor to Picon or Torani Amer. I keep meaning to pick some up, but never remember to.

Here are two I like. They'd probably work pretty well with a fuller-bodied prosecco.

ChamPino (for Pino, an Italian diplomat):

1 oz. Campari

1 oz. Sweet Vermouth

2 1/2 - 3 oz good quality Champagne

Garnish:  Lemon Twist

Glass:  chilled martini

Measure campari & sweet vermouth into a mixing glass.  Add ice, shake (yes, shake) and strain into a chilled martini glass.  Top with champagne.  Add lemon twist.

Punt e Mes Fizz

3/4 oz Punt e Mes

1 1/2 oz Sweet Vermouth

3 oz champagne

Garnish:  Lemon twist (or orange, if preferred)

Shake punt e mes and sweet vermouth with ice.  Strain into a chilled martini glass and top with champagne.

--

Here are two I like. . .

Thanks, Samuel, these both sound good! As for Chinotto, I'm fond of the drink and will play around with it for some non-alcoholic alternatives for non-drinking guests, perhaps mixed with aranciata, some soda water, garnished with a twist of orange peel and a twist of lime.

I like the lighter version of Negronis as well, the Americano. 1:1 Campari and sweet vermouth, over rocks with a splash of soda and a lemon twist.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Titan's Temptation (from Salvatore Calabrese's Complete Home Bartender's Guide)

1 oz sambuca (we used Molinari)

1 oz Campari

1 oz fresh lemon juice

Shake and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a slice of lemon.

Beautiful to look at and tastes great! The sweetness of the sambuca goes well with the bitter Campari and tart lemon juice. Very refreshing and actually a good drink with spicy foods.

KathyM

Titan's Temptation...

Beautiful to look at and tastes great! The sweetness of the sambuca goes well with the bitter Campari and tart lemon juice. Very refreshing and actually a good drink with spicy foods.

Sounds delicious, Kathy, thanks! And interesting that it's a cocktail to go with spicy food. Look forward to trying it.

Marc

I'm doing some research for 'Italian' cocktails that would be suitable for

Any limoncello based cocktails spring to mind?

Marc

This is probably more of a summer drink, but the Amalfi Dream, also from Calabrese, is very refreshing.

1 2/3 oz vodka

2/3 oz limoncello

1/3 oz fresh lemon juice

4 - 5 fresh mint leaves

Pour all ingredients into a shaker with ice. Shake vigorously. Strain into a cocktail glass, letting mint fragments slip through to create a layer on top of the drink. Garnish with a spiral of lemon.

KathyM

You could always try my "Grappacino"...

* 50ml Grappa

* 10ml Amaretto

* 10ml sugar syrup

* 1 short, strong espresso

Pour all ingredients into a shaker, and then add the ice. Shake hard, and then strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with 3 coffee beans, placed into the centre of the drinks surface, and arranged into a flower petal formation.

Cheers!

George