• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need special diet cookbook

maxmillan

I need recipes for a child that is allergic to wheat, soy, and milk. I don't know if he is allergic to other common allergens such as corn, yeast, nuts, etc.

I would like it in a book form so I can offer it as a gift to the parent.

This child is not highly allergic but, rather, has negative reactions to the above food.

As you know, children can be finicky eaters and I need tasty healthy recipes.

I have found a couple of websites and sent those off.

Thanks.

Google "Food and Allergy Network" or "FAAN". This is a non-profit foundation, especially supported by Ming Tsai, the Boston-based fusion chef and TVFN personality, who happens to be the father of a child with significant food allergies.

You may also want to go to Recipezaar, which has specific community forums (and recipes) for various special diets, including gluten-, soy-, peanut-free ...

Finally, as an FYI, Ming Tsai will be on CBS Sunday Morning tomorrow (Oct 22) discussing food allergies and children ...

Good luck!!

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

I would highly recommend any of the "Gluten Free Gourmet" cookbooks by Bette Hagman. Wheat is by far the toughest of the foods allergies you listed, at least in terms of preparing food for someone who is allergic to it. She has some excellent recipes for just about anything you'd want that normally would require wheat flour, plus a lot of excellent information about how to substitute flours and make baked goods work without gluten.

There's a lot of good information out there on gluten free, casein free (wheat and dairy free) diets that might be helpful as well. Here's one that has a lot of recipes and tips.

You are a great friend to be helping in this way. Food allergies are hard to deal with, and I bet he or she will appreciate the support.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne