• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pomegranate molasses vs grenadine?

BTR

I was in a persian market and spied a bottle of pomegranate molasses (Cortas brand) on the shelves (along with a mind-boggling array of varieties of (presumably nonalcoholic) arrack) and picked it up. This is technically different from grenadine, of whatever variety, right? Is there a reliable conversion ratio?

Completely different animals. Pomegranate molasses is more sour than sweet -- closer to balsamic vinegar, if anything. Would be interesting in a cocktail, but not as a grenadine substitute.

edit: non-alcoholic arak? I can't imagine how that would work.

Edited by Behemoth (log)

edit: non-alcoholic arak? I can't imagine how that would work.

I tasted some of the molasses, and yeah, it's quite sour. Without some decent grenadine on hand with which to compare, though, for all I knew it was just more potent or something.

The arrack was labelled with flavors---garlic, chickory, and ox-tongue were some of the more notable ones that had labels in English---so I assume it's being used to name some kind of flavored syrup or water or something. The next time I go there I'll probably get one just to see.