• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Millionaire Bars

Caroline923

Pam R, I believe the seventh layer would be butterscotch chips.

While googling Seven Layer Bars, this interesting twist came up.

Di

I happened to have a box of that brownie mix on hand, and made the linked recipe today. They came out so rich and gooey, I decided to cut them into 1" squares, and pack them into my Christmas candy gift tins. I made them years ago with graham cracker crumbs, as a crust and once with crushed Oreos, but these are the best. Heavy, though, good for one bite.

I tried that recipe a few months ago. The butter didnt fully incorporate into the mix so there were bits of dry spots. We did NOT like it at all.

I got some dry spots, too, but not many. I didn't think the butter was going to incorporate into the mix, either, so I sorta helped it along, and mixed it in the bottom of the pan. I wonder if mixing it together, thoroughly, before hand would fix that.

I've been mildly obsessed with Millionaire's Shortbread since we were in Scotland this summer, and I had just an amazing version at, of all places, the cafeteria at Sterling Castle. I just made a flawed batch yesterday, from a Nigella Lawson recipe. I've made this twice now, with the same bad results--her recipe calls for a melting about a stick of butter, then adding three T of Lyle's syrup and a can of SCM, whisking, and microwaving until it's boiling and lightly browned. It tastes good but is very grainy, so I'm looking for a recipe with a better caramel-layer result.

Can anyone a) explain why the graininess might have occurred, despite lots of intermittent stirring, and a final vigorous whisking at the end, and b)let me know which of the mentioned recipes here might be an improvement?

Thanks.

ETA: I did try making the caramel on the stovetop instead of the microwave, thinking I'd have better control over the results. THAT was a complete disaster--shortly after it boiled, the milk and butter separated for good. interesting...

Edited by SusanGiff (log)