• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Millionaire Bars

Caroline923

We call those 7-layer cookies. Though I'm nut sure what the 7 layers are.

Graham Cracker Crumbs

Melted Butter

Coconut

Walnuts/Pecans

Chocolate Chips

Coconut

Evaporated Milk

(That's 7. I guess the butter is it's own layer even though I mix it with the crumbs.)

I agree with Pam. Up here in the upper left hand corner of the United States, we also call them seven-layer bars and I have never heard them referred to as millionaire bars. Interesting regional variation on the name.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Does millionaire shortbread count?  I've never had it here in the states, but it was a favorite of mine when I lived in Scotland for a bit. 

http://www.sprow.co.uk/dump/

I can't vouch for the recipe, but if you scroll down to the middle of the page there's a decent pic of what they look like.

this is also what i know as millionaire's shortbread...one of my faves!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I know these as 'Hello Dolly' squares, (or 'Hello Calorie' squares). The wife of one of my favorite patients when I was a resident used to bring these every time they came for an appointment.

In high school, my friends called them "dung bars" because the chocolate was still very melty in the ones they served in the school cafeteria.

Yep, 7 Layer Bars where I come from too, although this might be a more fitting name. Delicious none-the-less.

I know these as 'Hello Dolly' squares, (or 'Hello Calorie' squares).  The wife of one of my favorite patients when I was a resident used to bring these every time they came for an appointment.

I'm SO happy to hear that someone else calls them "Hello Dollies"! :biggrin:

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

We call those 7-layer cookies.  Though I'm nut sure what the 7 layers are.

Graham Cracker Crumbs

Melted Butter

Coconut

Walnuts/Pecans

Chocolate Chips

Coconut

Evaporated Milk

(That's 7.  I guess the butter is it's own layer even though I mix it with the crumbs.)

I appreciate that nobody pointed out that coconut is the same thing no matter how many times I list it and I have, in fact, only 6 layer. :blink:

What's missing that makes it 7-layer? :huh:

• 2 years later...

I want to make millionarie shortbread( NOT 7 layer bars or Hello Dollies).

The shortbread has a layer of caramel and choc. on a shortbread base.

Anyone have a good recipe?

I have a huge bag of caramels I'd like to use up.

Check out the link Tavogels provided upthread--looks pretty good to me, but you won't be using any caramels. Possibly you could melt the caramels, using a bit of cream or water if necessary, and just pour over for the shortbread base.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

We call them Hello Dolly cookies in our house, too.

butter

grahams

coconut

walnuts

SCM

chips

6 layers here, not 7. But really popular.

Eileen

OK. No doubt I'll feel silly when I get the answer, but what is 'SCM'. I tried on Google, but got nothing useful. :blink:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Here's one I've made before, really good. By way of Gail Gand. But you make caramel rather than use premade caramels:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/gale-ga...cipe/index.html

Pam R, I believe the seventh layer would be butterscotch chips.

While googling Seven Layer Bars, this interesting twist came up.

Di

I happened to have a box of that brownie mix on hand, and made the linked recipe today. They came out so rich and gooey, I decided to cut them into 1" squares, and pack them into my Christmas candy gift tins. I made them years ago with graham cracker crumbs, as a crust and once with crushed Oreos, but these are the best. Heavy, though, good for one bite.