• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

hors d'oeuvres made using puff pastry

cognitivefun

The caterer I work for makes a homeade sausage, forms that into a log and then wraps the pastry around them.   Baked off and sliced and served with a nice grainy mustard.

aka: Pigs in a Blanket, albeit pretty fancy ones.

SB (maybe Pigs in a Silk Purse? :rolleyes: )

Pigs in cashmere? :unsure:

I used to sautee mushrooms in butter with shallots, a little sherry & s&p then throw it in small puff pastry parcels usually mixed with cream cheese. Very easy and tasted great!

I'm pretty sure I stole this idea from someone on eGullet (Marlene maybe), but I recently made savory palmiers with beef tenderloin and pesto for a wedding reception. They were really good and by far the most popular item. Another idea is brie encroute. Very easy, but perhaps a little messy to eat.

OMG, the list is endless… How about:

- cutting into long strips, brushing with melted butter, sprinkle with grated parmesan, fleur de sel and pepper to taste, twist and bake.

- wrap a square around an olive

- layout a long rectangle, brush with butter, add anchovies on half, fold over other half and bevel cut, bake

- cut into interesting shapes, top with jam, bake

just a few ideas.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Check this one out by Bonnie Stern:

FLATBREAD WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS AND CHEESE

http://www.recipezaar.com/57294

Here are two from Williams-Sonoma:

VEGETABLE SAMOSAS

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/reci...7B39E230C061F91

BAKED BRIE EN CROUTE WITH APPLE COMPOTE

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/reci...5A52AE5D5918567

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I've made these before and they were wonderful. Take the puff pastry and roll it out. Cut it into circles with the largest size (about 2 inch) bisquit cutter. Mix together some prociutto (sp?), mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, salt and pepper, or make up your own mixture. Put a dollop of that in the middle of the circles. Moisten the edges with egg wash and press together like a dumpling, seal the edges with a fork. Brush the top with egg wash and bake at 350 degrees until they are nicely browned.

Serve with some warm marinara sauce. They are a a party hit.

Mini-quiches are fabulous with a puff pastry base. You can also roll out into 10" squares, thinly spread with a filling and roll. Slice into small "pinwheels" and bake. Your choice of fillings is only limited by your imagination. We like corn relish and cheese, pesto, smoked salmon etc.

If you fancy a puff pastry item for the dessert end of the meal, make "matchsticks" by cutting rectangles of pastry 2"x3" bake, split in half when cold and fill at the last minute with jam and well-whipped cream (perhaps a dash of vanilla and confectioner's sugar). Dust with confectioner's sugar. If it is a more low key dinner, the matchsticks are nicer (crisp) if guests can fill their own.

Got a dinner party coming up and I feel like making puff pastry (I don't look like it but I feel like it  :biggrin:  ) 

What are some hors d'oeuvres I can make if I choose to make puff pastry?

Thanks!

I do several things. Take a pound of puff pastry, roll out to 1/8" thickness, spread 3/4 pound finely grated extra sharp cheddar on it, then sprinkle cayenne, then carraway seeds or mustard seeds. Fold like a book and roll out again to 1/4" thick. Cut into strips and bake. These freeze beautifully.

Another thing I do which is from Jacques Pepin; is mash chopped, hard boiled egg with good quality chopped anchovies, mayo and dill, s&p. Pepin uses two fish cut-outs of puff pastry, I just use a round or fluted cookie cutter. Press edges together and brush tops with egg wash. These freeze well too.

The caterer I work for makes a homeade sausage, forms that into a log and then wraps the pastry around them.   Baked off and sliced and served with a nice grainy mustard.

aka: Pigs in a Blanket, albeit pretty fancy ones.

SB (maybe Pigs in a Silk Purse? :rolleyes: )

Pigs in cashmere? :unsure:

Sausage rolls, actually! :biggrin: They're available in every frozen food department (Schneider's were my favourites when I was growing up) across Canada, though they're more British than Canadian, I think, and they're almost always made with puff pastry.

I make sausage rolls a lot using store-bought puff pastry. I add different things to them, depending on my mood--roasted asparagus, roasted red peppers, etc. I freeze them raw, and bake them off as I need them.

I should also add that I slice them before baking--it's much easier than slicing them after.

I also like to put a bit of camembert or brie with some jam in puff pastry. My camembert/brie always oozes out, but I don't mind. I like it when the jam mixes with the melted cheese, sticks to the pan, and gets caramelized.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Got a dinner party coming up and I feel like making puff pastry (I don't look like it but I feel like it  :biggrin:  ) 

What are some hors d'oeuvres I can make if I choose to make puff pastry?

Thanks!

The new Fine Cooking Issue 82 has a great mini quiche recipe with puff pastry. And a really lovely hors d'oeuvres recipe using phyllo - sort of a take on spanikopita.

I'm going to try the mini quiche recipe today. I know you might think the mini quiche thing has been done to death, but I really think this recipe looks exceptional. Will post pics when I can.

An onion tart made in a rectangle with a puff pastry base is always welcome. While preparing desserts for an event I also discovered that plain puff pastry is awesome dipped in homemade caramel sauce. I used that discovery recently at an appetizer party. Brought a bowl of caramel sauce, made twirly sticks out of puff pastry and added a number of other things to the plate for dipping. It was a hit!

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Cheese sticks are good. I did these for a column. Roll out pastry, sprinkle a mixture of Parmesan/sesame seeds/garlic (fresh is ok but powdered is better here) or cheddar/minced onion/poppyseeds onto one half of the rolled dough. Then fold dough in half and ROLL AGAIN, so that the cheese mix is in between the two layers. Cut into strips, twist and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 until puffed and golden brown.

Simply spread on a little tapenade and bake - maybe top with half an anchovy (Salty gets the drinks flowing!)

Or how about a mini pissalidiere variation - top with slow cooked onions (they need half an hour min on a very low heat) with anchovies and some little black olives.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

The great thing about puff pastry is the fact that you can fold and roll just about anything into it. Another great thing about it is that it freezes really well.

You can just get in the habit of rolling up leftover this and that into it and making a roll, slicing the roll, and freezing these so that when it's time to have a party, you have an assortment of all kinds of things on hand. I always take leftover meat and sauteed veggies, spices, sauces, tapenades, cheeses like emmenthal and parmesean and make these rolls to freeze, uncooked. When guests arrive, pop the frozen rolls in the oven an serve them hot 10 minutes later with drinks.

Leftover chicken goes really well with creme fraiche, garlic, and creole spices.

Thin sliced ham or good quality cold cuts, mustard and cheese.

Tapenade, herbs, and crushed nuts.

Sage pesto and thin sliced salt cured country ham.

etc.