• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ardmore, PA

Busboy

Looks as though we're off to Ardmore to visit the boy, who has -- like his father -- run off to do a campaign. This means he has likely been living on Subway subs and Starbucks products for many weeks, so we'd like to get him a decent meal. There's a chance we'll go into Philly (I'll consult other threads on that, but if anyone wants to suggest something, I'll listen carefully), but more likely we'll stay out near the Main Line.

Think something mid- to middle-upper level: a place you wouldn't wear sneakers to but don't need a tied for.

Thanks.

PS: Quality diners for Sunday breakfast also appreciated.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

PS: Quality diners for Sunday breakfast also appreciated.

Try Nudy's in Wayne -- I like the pumpkin pancakes and omelettes. It gets crowded on Sundays and might be cash only, but it's relatively cheap, filling, and good.

I'd look at Carmine's Creole Cafe in Narberth. The place is BYOB, no reservations, and has a fairly good wait on the weekends. A work around is to call ahead for the Chef's tasting usually $40 to $50 for a five course dinner. That they will take rezzies for.

Enjoy

Jim

Jim Tarantino

Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes

Ten Speed Press

I strongly second Jim's recommendation of Carmine's, a terrific restaurant in every way. I would also recommend the new Blush in nearby Bryn Mawr. Also in Bryn Mawr, a few steps to the left of the Bryn Mawrd theater is the new Ha Long Bay, a delightful Vietnamese place that is worth a visit.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

What they said about Carmine's.

The Pub of Penn Valley and McShea's in Narberth both do better than bar food. Sang Kee Asian Bistro in Wynnewood is the go to for Chinese. Dakota Pizza is across the parking lot for cheesesteaks. Mama's Pizzeria on Belmont Avenue in Bala-Cynwyd does monster cheesesteaks.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

It's definitely not the atmosphere you're looking for (sneakers would be tolerated, but it's much nicer than most Indian restaurants I've set foot in), but Khajuraho makes the best Indian food I've ever had. It's just off Rt. 30 about halfway between Rt. 1 and Rt. 476, on Greenfield Ave.

I'd second Carmine's for Creole and Khajuraho for Indian in the vicinity -- best Indian food on the Main Line.

For Chinese, if you want to stay in Ardmore and if you like hot and spicy ... go to Hu-Nan, right on Lancaster Avenue, just a few doors down from the Municipal Bldg/Police Station. The chef/owners are Betty and E-ni Foo, Betty is sister-in-law to Susanna Foo, whose very famous Asian fusion restaurant is downtown. Betty's style is more traditional, family style and having grown up in Hunan, she is authentic to the bone ... you are in for an absolute treat. Best hot and sour soup in the city; marvelous mapo dofu (they will make you a vegetarian version if you ask, it's not on the menu). Reservations possible, but not needed. Open for lunch as well as dinner. they've been in Ardmore for 30 years, a real part of the community.

If you want Asian fusion cuisine, I'd go to YangMing, at the intersection of Conestoga Rd. and Haverford Ave. Michael Wei, the owner, also has CinCin (Germantown; Asian fusion), Nectar (Berwyn; contemporary American), and another restaurant I can't recall under his wing ... and the quality in each is superb. This is a little more formal than Hu-nan, but neither tie nor jacket is needed. For the 2005 Book and the Cook, YangMing hosted Grace Young ("Breath of a Wok"), the IACP winning cook book; in 2001, CinCin hosted Nina Simonds, so you really can't go wrong with a Michael Wei restaurant.

For Japanese, either Ginza or Fuji Mountain. I prefer Ginza for the quality and variety of sushi, but if you're really a sushi fan, go downtown ... Yes, they do take reservations and they do have traditionally cooked food.

Good luck and enjoy Ardmore!!!

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

For diners - there's Minella's on Lancaster Ave in Wayne, Ruby's in Ardmore Square, Main Line Deli in Narberth.

Japanese, I'd recommend Hana, across the parking lot from the "Lancaster County Farmer's Market" in Wayne.

Another good choice for Chinese is Sang-Kee Peking Duck, in the same shopping center as the Whole Foods Market on Lancaster Ave just before Wynnewood Rd.

Much better coffee than Starbucks (locally roasted La Colombe) and the best chocolate almond croissants you ever ate (go early, open at 7) at Le Petit Mitron, 207 Haverford Ave in Narberth. Everything is made with butter, no shortening. Pastries that could make you relocate.

I agree with Carmines and Hana (there are threads on both). Also, Fellini Cafe is the Main Line's version of the Soup Nazi, but he serves pasta... great on weeknights, home-made pasta that is cheap and delicious, BYOB but stay away on weekends since they dont' run a tight clipboard and people wail a long time to eat.

Thai Pepper (Thai) and Mikado (japanese/sushi) "share" a kitchen (on Lancaster Ave) so you can orded one from the other's dining room if you can't all decide.

I find Yang Ming to be overly pricey for what amounts to really good asian food.

Of course, there is never a bad night to drive 30 minutes to Taconelli's for the best pizza in town...

I belch, therefore, I ate...

I'll throw my two cents in as well for Hana, Carmine's and Sang Kee Asian Bistro. On the other hand, and no offense meant to Phungi, I would avoid Fellini's like the plague. I had one of the worst dining experiences of all time there: bad service and horrible food.

If you want to take things up a notch, the most obvious choices within a short drive from Ardmore would be Savona in Gulph Mills or Georges (as in Perrier) in Wayne/Strafford. Both are definitely more formal than any of the options mentioned thus far but still stop just short of being tie/jacket required. I have not eaten at either, though, in a good three or four years so I can't vouch for their current menus.

Edited by David McDuff (log)

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. In the end, I lost control of the weekend to The Boy, who was desperate to get out of the 'burbs and into downtown. After a couple of hours showing us around South Philly, he allowed us to drag him off to a very good meal at PX. I was pleased to finally make it to a Philly BYOB. The restaurant was cozy, the food very good and I quite enjoyed talking about the vagaries of Philadelphia restauranteuring with a gentleman who appeared to be the owner.

For beakfast the next morning we went to Milkboy Coffee house, my son's hangout of choice. A fine independent coffee house with a good brie and ham sandwich

However, it looks like I will be back up in two weeks for several days (when The Boy, presumably, will be too busy to drag me into Philly) so your recommendations will not have gone for naught.

Thanks.

I'm on the pavement

I'll throw my two cents in as well for Hana, Carmine's and Sang Kee Asian Bistro.  On the other hand, and no offense meant to Phungi, I would avoid Fellini's like the plague.  I had one of the worst dining experiences of all time there: bad service and horrible food.

David,

None taken... I agree on the horrible service, but had excellent pasta dishes the three times I ate there... the last two times, however, I did take-out to avoid the "atmosphere"...

I belch, therefore, I ate...

After a couple of hours showing us around South Philly, he allowed us to drag him off to a very good meal at PX.  I was pleased to finally make it to a Philly BYOB.  The restaurant was cozy, the food very good and I quite enjoyed talking about the vagaries of Philadelphia restauranteuring with a gentleman who appeared to be the owner.

Methinks you mean RX but who knows, there could be a PX which also happens to be a cozy BYO :smile:

If in fact it is RX, you selected quite a good one indeed

I work with a lot of retsuarants on the Main Line, so I thought I'd chime in on this one...

By the time you return, Susanna Foo's new restuarant may be open in St David's, which is just a few miles down the road from Ardmore. I drove by there the other night and it looks beautiful! Also in the area is 333 Belrose (an old client of mine). I guess they can be descibed as California contemporary. Tango, at the Bryn Mawr train station (and my new client) is also a good choice.

A bit farther down the pike is George's. You must sit in the bar area. The dining room is too stuffy for me. If it's a cool night, they have a beautiful fireplace. The burgers and pizza are fab and the atmosphere is very cozy - like a French Chalet.

And if you are up for venturing out a tiny bit farther, my new client, Nectar offers French Asain cuisine and the atmosphere is the coolest on the Main Line.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Dish (log)

After a couple of hours showing us around South Philly, he allowed us to drag him off to a very good meal at PX.  I was pleased to finally make it to a Philly BYOB.  The restaurant was cozy, the food very good and I quite enjoyed talking about the vagaries of Philadelphia restauranteuring with a gentleman who appeared to be the owner.

Methinks you mean RX but who knows, there could be a PX which also happens to be a cozy BYO :smile:

If in fact it is RX, you selected quite a good one indeed

It was indeed Rx (there's a hot new place in DC called "PX", hence the confusion) and is was selected after perusing some other eGullet threads -- given the quality of the PA board (I especially trusted Rich Pawlack on this) it is no surprise that I stumbled into a great spot.

I'm on the pavement

It was indeed Rx (there's a hot new place in DC called "PX", hence the confusion) and is was selected after perusing some other eGullet threads -- given the quality of the PA board (I especially trusted Rich Pawlack on this) it is no surprise that I stumbled into a great spot.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"