• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry Chef Jordan Kahn...

tan319

there are many pastry chefs here in new york, who are getting lots of press and who have great reputations, but few who can actually back it up like alex can.

:blink:

Alex is a remarkably skilled pastry chef, no doubt, but this remark strikes me as an unnecessary potshot at some of your other contemporaries. Care to elaborate?

i'm sorry, i guess you misunderstood me. (it's hard to emphasize certain words when you're typing, thus giving a statement an entirely different meaning). i certainly did not mean that other pastry chefs in the city don't deserve their reputation. i really can't say for any of them except for the chefs i've worked with. alex stupak and sebastian rouxel i've worked with, and i can tell you that although both are very different stylistically, they both work tremendously hard and continue to push themselves everyday. sorry if i ruffled some feathers, it was certainly unintentional.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to the NYT, Varietal opens today. 138 West 25th Street, (212) 633-1800.

Good luck, Jordan!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I tried calling today and it went to voicemail.  The website also isn't running yet.  I wish I could see a menu or something.

sorry about the communications error on our part. that has been fixed. we have a reservationist, and the website is in the works, but will certainly take a little while longer. we officially opened last wednesday and so far the all of the feedback is very positive. docsconz actually came in to eat on saturaday night, and it was a great pleasure to serve him. people are receiving the desserts very well. our best seller actually is the chocolate and mushroom, which is a surprise i think. i encourage everyone to stop by if they can, as i am very excited to share my work with savy, critical new yorkers ( i mean that as a compliment for all you yankees). we have already had people who've eaten at the restaurant, make another reservation to come back just for the desserts. so again, we are really happy and grateful that people are diggin' our art. if anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask me anything, and i'll try to address them in detail.

j.

I have returned home to discover my main computer crashed - perhaps fatally. I will post on my experience with photos depending on how they came out in the near future (I hope!). The bottom line is that the sweets and the savories were all very good and the restaurant did a remarkable job considering that they had been open for all of four days!

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Perhaps a mod wants to split this off into a new thread for Varietal.

Anyway, you should get your menu up on Menupages. I want to see what I'll be getting into and if I can swing it in the next couple weeks. At the least I'll come in for desserts.

jkahn or docsconz, can you give me prices? Do you have a tasting menu, can I create one?

• 1 year later...

Anyone know where Jordan landed and/or where he's working these days? I just found a pretty nice collection of photos over at flickr that would insinuate he's still feeling it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15315950@N08/

"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her" - W.C. Fields

Thanks, The Hopry

http://thehopry.com/

Anyone know where Jordan landed and/or where he's working these days?  I just found a pretty nice collection of photos over at flickr that would insinuate he's still feeling it. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15315950@N08/

He is currently the pastry chef at Michael Mina's new L.A. restaurant XIV.

Twitter - @docsconz

A minimalist, Jordan is not. They are beautiful plates and I'm sure they are delicious as well.

Twitter - @docsconz