• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry Chef Jordan Kahn...

tan319

I had been snooping & Googling on the ICC and the Paul Liebrandt threads after seeing the pix from the ICC demo with Paul Liebrandt of Chef Jordan Kahns garnishes, etc. Of course I was most curious and would to know more.

Jordan showed up in Pauls thread suggested we get our own started so here we go.

Thanks for checking in, Jordan.

I was intrigued by the Paco "sable".

Are you doing many things in the Paco like that?

Anyplace we can see some of your past menus?

What kind of desserts will be featured at Varietal?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Thanks for being around eG.

Edited by tan319 (log)

2317/5000

I had been snooping & Googling  on the ICC and  the Paul Liebrandt threads after seeing the pix from the ICC demo with Paul Liebrandt of Chef Jordan Kahns garnishes, etc. Of course I was most curious and would to know more.

Jordan showed up in Pauls thread suggested we get our own started so here we go.

Thanks for checking in, Jordan.

I was intrigued by the Paco "sable".

Are you doing many things in the Paco like that?

Anyplace we can see some of your past menus?

What kind of desserts will be featured at Varietal?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Thanks for being around eG.

i appreciate your interest. just to clarify, the paco jet and the "liquid sable" demos were separate. they asked me to demo how to use a paco jet just minutes before i went on stage. i don't want to give too much away as far as my menu items for varietal, but i will make mention of a few dishes that i feel are provocative. my style is very abstract and modern. i worked with alex stupak at alinea, and together we discovered many avenues and applications for using gums. now, certainly wylie and alex are probably the most knowledgeable chefs in the country in using hydrocolloids, however i would say that i am pretty well versed myself. i try to explore a more "artistic" approach to my food. i use a lot of savory elements in my desserts, however i feel that because i have a classical pastry background (the fench laundry, per se), i would say that i integrate savory ingredients with a more identifiable perception of dessert. in other words, a savory ingredient doesn't taste out of place. i try to be very concious to the fact that i want people to recognize it as dessert and they wouldn't think of it as anything else. i have begun a dessert series of dishes that are inspired by various paintings of different artists that i admire. only one of these will appear on the menu at a time, but it will change periodically. the first is a dessert inspired by a painting by an artist named laurie maitland. she has a painting series that is very abstract called "symphony in red and khaki." though the purpose is not to replicate a work of art as a dessert, but one that is merely inspired by the colors and emotions of the painting.

a brief menu preview...

concord grape - eggplant - orange blossom

medlar - ube - lilac - sake

red pepper - passion fruit - cashew

celery root - cocoa nib - yogurt - muscovado sugar - wood

lime - cherry - tonka bean - soybean - broken macaroons

Inspired by the painting “symphony in red and khaki” by laurie maitland

Absynthe - matcha - ricotta - mint - black sesame - liquid sable

sweet potato - picholine olive - yogurt - yuzu

lychee - rose - serrano ham - vanilla

i would be happy to address any comments or questions about these dishes, but i want to leave them somewhat ambiguous in hopes to entice you to come and eat at the restaurant. as far as the restaurant itself, it's called Varietal. it's a wine themed, fine dining establishment located on 25 st between 6th and 7th in chelsea. we will have a tasting bar featuring 75 wines by the glass, as well as a separate dining room, where we will focus on tasting structured menus. we are looking to open in mid november.

thanks,

jordan.

So it seems like you & Alex came at the same time to NYC.

The Medlar dish sounds interesting, as they all do. Not sure I agree about the hydrocolloids statement but, no big deal.

Thanks a a lot for checking in will be back later.

PS: Who will be the savory chef?

Edited by tan319 (log)

2317/5000

So it seems like you & Alex came at the same time to NYC.

The Medlar dish sounds interesting, as they all do. Not sure I agree about the hydrocolloids statement but, no big deal.

Thanks a a lot for checking in will be back later.

PS: Who will be the savory chef?

yeah, alex and i actually drove here together in a uhaul truck. i'm excited about the medlar dish, as we have a grower from a farm upstate that's growing some for us. we'll be able to get them fresh, as well as dried on the tree... sort of like a date. the savory chef's name is ed witt. he's formerly the chef at il bucco, but his track record is from daniel, jardiniere, rubicon, etc... our styles are somewhat different, but it was the owners idea to bring two different styles together in this modern restaurant setting. sort of a 'one-two punch'.

thanks.

j

Speaking of the ICC Liebrandt demo, does anyone know where Jordan Kahn is pastry chef?

Thanks in advance!

ICC thread on eG

i realize that this is a thread about paul, so i'll be brief. i'm jordan, and i'm the pastry chef at a new restaurant opening in late november called varietal. i'm formerly of alinea, per se, and the french laundry. paul and i are good friends, and he asked me to do the demo and the dinner at butter with him. if anyone wants to discuss this further, i suggest we start a new thread.

thanks,

jordan.

Thanks Jordan for the explanation and welcome to eGullet! Best of luck in your new endeavor!

thanks doc, we've met before at alinea, but i'm sure you were too "food drunk" to remember. great pics by the way, as always. hope you'll come to the new place and check it out when it opens, i'd be honored to have you.

I am looking forward to it!

Here is a photo of Alex Stupak and Jordan Kahn in action working together at Alinea last spring.

gallery_8158_3066_30771.jpg

I can't believe that both of these tremendous pastry chefs wound up in NYC at the same time. I must repeat myself that the concentration of pastry wizardry in NYC right now is astounding and that was before I realized that Jordan is there as well! Can any other city in the world boast of this concentration of talented and creative young chefs in the Pastry Arts? Perhaps Barcelona or Paris, but where else if even those places?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Speaking of the ICC Liebrandt demo, does anyone know where Jordan Kahn is pastry chef?

Thanks in advance!

ICC thread on eG

i realize that this is a thread about paul, so i'll be brief. i'm jordan, and i'm the pastry chef at a new restaurant opening in late november called varietal. i'm formerly of alinea, per se, and the french laundry. paul and i are good friends, and he asked me to do the demo and the dinner at butter with him. if anyone wants to discuss this further, i suggest we start a new thread.

thanks,

jordan.

Thanks Jordan for the explanation and welcome to eGullet! Best of luck in your new endeavor!

thanks doc, we've met before at alinea, but i'm sure you were too "food drunk" to remember. great pics by the way, as always. hope you'll come to the new place and check it out when it opens, i'd be honored to have you.

Here is a photo of Alex Stupak and Jordan Kahn in action working together at Alinea last spring.

I can't believe that both of these tremendous pastry chefs wound up in NYC at the same time. I must repeat myself that the concentration of pastry wizardry in NYC right now is astounding and that was before I realized that Jordan is there as well! Can any other city in the world boast of this concentration of talented and creative young chefs in the Pastry Arts? Perhaps Barcelona or Paris, but where else if even those places?

your support is ever inspiring doc... thanks. a great addition to a lot of the pastry talent currently in new york is the relationships. the fact that all of these pastry chefs are all located in one place, but most are good friends. alex and i are very close friends, and i think our relationship helps to keep us moving in a forward direction, knowing that we can count on each other for inspiration and knowledge.

thanks again for all of you guys' support.

J.

Thanks in advance!

ICC thread on eG

thanks,

jordan.

your support is ever inspiring doc... thanks. a great addition to a lot of the pastry talent currently in new york is the relationships. the fact that all of these pastry chefs are all located in one place, but most are good friends. alex and i are very close friends, and i think our relationship helps to keep us moving in a forward direction, knowing that we can count on each other for inspiration and knowledge.

thanks again for all of you guys' support.

J.

There is no question that that situation makes it even more exciting as there is the opportunity for greater synergy. In an ideal world you are all friendly competitors pushing each other forward. From what I can see things look pretty darn close to ideal.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

gallery_25998_3626_228946.jpg

gallery_25998_3626_223359.jpg

gallery_25998_3626_37293.jpg

Thought you needed some more photos. Feel free to caption them as you'd like.

Best,

Michael Harlan Turkell

photographer

HARLANTURK.com

Nice, Harlan, thanks! Was the first at Butter? Man, I wish I could have been there!

Twitter - @docsconz

Best of luck with Varietal, I'm looking foward to seeing your stuff.

thanks, i will update any new info about the restaurant as things develop, as far as opening, press releases, website, etc.

j.

jordan... i was wondering if you will be serving the "coffee and doughnuts".

ps. "i never had a chance to say thank you"!

thanks, i will update any new info about the restaurant as things develop, as far as opening, press releases, website, etc.

j.

sorry.. the C & D is a thomas keller signature dish. they're very good, however my style is a little different.

ps. you're welcome.

j.

sorry.. the C & D is a thomas keller signature dish. they're very good, however my style is a little different.

ps. you're welcome.

jordan the correct response is... "and you'll never have to!"

j.

ps. you're welcome.

jordan the correct response is... "and you'll never have to!"

damnit! you're right. and i'm such a huge batman fan too! i can't believe i missed that one. thanks for calling me out mugsy.

j.

Is Varietal open for service yet, Jordan?

What's the location?

Thanks!

we're not quite open yet. we just passed our fire dept inspection today. we're shooting to open around november 15th. the restaurant is located in chelsea at 138 W 25 st, between 6th and 7th. there's a big poster in the window, you can't miss it. anyone, is free to stop by and get a quick tour if they want, we're there everyday. we're going to seat about 50 people. there's a lounge in the front, as well as a 30 foot tasting bar with about 75 wines by the glass. there will be a champagne cart for the dining room, with about 7 or 8 different grower champages to choose from. the elements of the restaurant are dark wood, metal, and lots of glass installations. let me know if you need more info. thanks,

jordan.

What's the location?

Thanks!

we're not quite open yet. we just passed our fire dept inspection today. we're shooting to open around november 15th. the restaurant is located in chelsea at 138 W 25 st, between 6th and 7th. there's a big poster in the window, you can't miss it. anyone, is free to stop by and get a quick tour if they want, we're there everyday. we're going to seat about 50 people. there's a lounge in the front, as well as a 30 foot tasting bar with about 75 wines by the glass. there will be a champagne cart for the dining room, with about 7 or 8 different grower champages to choose from. the elements of the restaurant are dark wood, metal, and lots of glass installations. let me know if you need more info. thanks,

jordan.

Good Luck Chef, I will be living in chelsea 2 days a week starting november 1st.

Not haven had the opportunity to try Alinea, I am looking foward to trying your stuff.

I had one of stupaks desserts last week at the bar, delicious.

What's the location?

Thanks!

jordan.

Sounds awesome!

2317/5000

What's the location?

Thanks!

jordan.

Good Luck Chef, I will be living in chelsea 2 days a week starting november 1st.

Not haven had the opportunity to try Alinea, I am looking foward to trying your stuff.

I had one of stupaks desserts last week at the bar, delicious.

great, so that means you'll be coming in to eat 2 days a week yeah? i'm glad that you like alex's stuff. he's definitely one of the more talented pastry chefs in the city. there are many pastry chefs here in new york, who are getting lots of press and who have great reputations, but few who can actually back it up like alex can. also, you'll be able to come in to varietal and order just a dessert tasting if you wish... at the bar or in the dining room.

hope to see you soon,

j.

there are many pastry chefs here in new york, who are getting lots of press and who have great reputations, but few who can actually back it up like alex can.

:blink:

Alex is a remarkably skilled pastry chef, no doubt, but this remark strikes me as an unnecessary potshot at some of your other contemporaries. Care to elaborate?

Nothing to see here.