• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salt cod tripe

The supplier for the upcoming Worlds of Flavors-Spain program at the CIA campus in Napa emailed me to see if I could help him to procure tripa de bacalao, salt cod tripe. Some of the stellar line up of superstar Spanish chefs want it for their demonstrations. Ideally, the source would be in the US or Canada. If that fails, he's interested in a source in Spain, preferably one that has a website and the ablility to cryovac it. Let me know if you have any leads or ideas! Thanks!

On a side note, anyone know how to get me a ticket into the long sold out conference??

Brett Emerson

My food blog: In Praise of Sardines

Just one note. Cod tripe is not exactly the cod's tripe but the cod's natatory bladder.

This is actually very helpful, Rogelio! With a few Google searches, I learned that the natatory (swimming) bladder is also called the gas bladder or fish maw. I know that some specialty Chinese stores in SF's Chinatown sell dried fish maw, some even from cod. I don't know if the Chinese product is salted first. I'm not that familiar with either product, the Chinese or the Spanish. Does anyone know if the Chinese dried fish maw could be used as a substitute for the salted tripa de bacalao of Spain?

Maybe I should consider moving this to a more general food topic?

Brett Emerson

I know that some specialty Chinese stores in SF's Chinatown sell dried fish maw, some even from cod. I don't know if the Chinese product is salted first. I'm not that familiar with either product, the Chinese or the Spanish. Does anyone know if the Chinese dried fish maw could be used as a substitute for the salted tripa de bacalao of Spain?

No, I wouldn't substitute any Chinese or caribbean style dried cod--it's a completely different product. A better bet would be to try an Italian grocery that stocks baccalà.

Isn't Chinese fish maw from shark?

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, sharks (and rays) seem to be one of the few fish that don't have a swim bladder or maw, the inflatable bladder that enables fish to remain bouyant. As far as I can figure, most Chinese fish maws come from eel-like fish, like the conger pike. Dried maws from cod are sometimes sold at Chinese stores, too.

Brett Emerson

No, I wouldn't substitute any Chinese or caribbean style dried cod--it's a completely different product. A better bet would be to try an Italian grocery that stocks baccalà.

Thanks, Butterfly. I had a feeling it was too different.

I've been trying Italian and Portuguese stores and fishmongers, but none of them seem familiar with tripa de bacalao. Where do you buy tripa de bacalao in Madrid? (If my memory serves me correctly, pretty much any bacalao specialty shop within a market also sells the "tripa.") Do you - or any Spain-based eGulleters - have any contact info for shops that may sell tripa de bacalao?

Edited by Brett Emerson (log)

Brett Emerson

I've been trying Italian and Portuguese stores and fishmongers, but none of them seem familiar with tripa de bacalao. Where do you buy tripa de bacalao in Madrid? (If my memory serves me correctly, pretty much any bacalao specialty shop within a market also sells the "tripa.") Do you - or any Spain-based eGulleters - have any contact info for shops that may sell tripa de bacalao?

I believe this particular part is also called callos de bacalao.

True. In fact, it gets the name due to the resemblence of the texture with that of tripe or callos.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Thank you everyone for all your help! I've forwarded the information to the person who wanted to buy the salt cod tripe for the upcoming Worlds of Flavor conference.

Also, thanks for teaching me the correct word for what I was asking for: callos de bacalao.

Brett Emerson

A spanish friend told me that this could be found at El Corte Ingles department stores, at their section called "Club del Gourmet".

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

I got really fascinated by tripas/callos de bacalao after having them for the first time of all places in Caino in Italy--she had learned about them in Catalunya. I'd love to find them in the UK.

Actually, callos de bacalao is very hard to find in markets outside Catalunya and possibly Madrid.