• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alford & Duguid's "Home Baking"

Mottmott

I personally am finding the banana bread totally addictive. :wub: I love the sugar crunch on top and when it's fresh out of the oven, the crumb is soft and the crust is chewy so you get three different textures and I love them all. My only problem was slicing it while it was still a little warm. The loaf that I overbaked a little crumbled a bit. If I had waited until morning and had it wrapped in plastic for awhile before slicing it would have worked because the slices I had in a baggie to take to work are softer now. Still holds the crunch on top though. The flavors are not overkill and I found it complex enough with the nutmeg, coconut and rum. It's more mellow the next day. The coconut just gives it just a little texture and flavor. I will definately make this one again. I wish I had held on to more for myself before sending a plateful to work with my mom.

And welcome, DanaG!

Edited by duckduck (log)

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

I made snowshoe bread tonight. I love the chewy texture. I always sprinkle salt and sometimes sesame seeds on before baking. I usually eat one bread just after baking, leave some out, and freeze half for another time.

gallery_41870_2503_44680.jpg

gallery_41870_2503_63327.jpg

gallery_41870_2503_52072.jpg

I made snowshoe bread tonight.  I love the chewy texture.  I always sprinkle salt and sometimes sesame seeds on before baking.  I usually eat one bread just after baking, leave some out, and freeze half for another time.

gallery_41870_2503_44680.jpg

gallery_41870_2503_63327.jpg

gallery_41870_2503_52072.jpg

These look fantastic! Definitely need to add to my "to bake" list....

Edited by DanaG (log)

• 3 months later...

Figured out this weekend that if I don't have enough bananas for a whole batch of the banana bread, a fourth of the recipe makes a perfect 6 muffins. Bake for about 25 minutes. Just right for 2 of us without having too many around the house.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."