• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Serious Carnivore AND Strict Vegetarian

OnlyMe

We will be in New York for a few days in December and would appreciate advice on eating there. My DH is a serious carnivore while I am a strict vegetarian (lacto-ovo-vegetarian to be exact). I do not eat meat, fish or cheese but will eat mostly any cuisine. My DH is not too keen on pasta but in the right mood is quite keen on a good pizza.

We are staying at the Sofitel so we are looking for recommendations of places relatively nearby for breakfast. For dinner / lunch we don't mind travelling a bit for nice food. We will be going to see The Lion King at the Minskoff Theatre on our last night so recommendations somewhere not too far away would be good. Also, I am keen to try Serendipity but it seems that you cannot make reservations - am I correct?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am a serious carnivore who has dated a lactose-intolerant (not that it matters because she also was a) vegan.

We have had great success at DB Bistro Moderne (right by your hotel), where they have always been happy to put together a well-assembled steamed vegetable plate for my date while serving me whatever kinds of hyper-fatty meats I cared to order.

Farther from your hotel, we have had the same experience at Perry Street and also 5 Ninth.

(It's always a good idea to warn them in advance of your situation, at the time you make your reservation.)

Someday I'll tell you all about our experience at Wolfgang's, after months of watching me gleefully eat meat made her realize she was denying herself too much pleasure.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

Most anywhere expensive with a tasting menu will likely put you together one to match his.

Serendipity is overrated. I don't really know why it's popular with tourists. If you like frozen mochachinos (sp?) then you'll get the concept behind the frozen hot chocolate.

For cheap, italian is good. you get the pasta and he can eat meat. Otto.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I am a serious carnivore who has dated a lactose-intolerant (not that it matters because she also was a) vegan.

We have had great success at DB Bistro Moderne (not too far from your hotel), where they have always been happy to put together a well-assembled steamed vegetable plate for my date while serving me whatever kinds of hyper-fatty meats I cared to order.

Farther from your hotel, we have had the same experience at Perry Street and also 5 Ninth.

(It's always a good idea to warn them in advance of your situation, at the time you make your reservation.)

Someday I'll tell you all about our experience at Wolfgang's, after months of watching me gleefully eat meat made her realize she was denying herself too much pleasure.

ooooooh tell the stoooorey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pleeeeeeaseeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

does this come in pork?

Thanks for the input guys. I am sort of looking for somewhere that has a few vegetarian options on the menu as opposed to them having to do something especially - sometimes those steam plates are a bit boring.

Sneakeater, I hope your ex didn't find somthing lurking where it shouldn't have been :shock: , that has happened to me on more than one occasion and it's not a very nice experience.

I'll look into the restaurants you mentioned.

Luckylies, can you recommend any particular restaurants with tasting menus?

Thanks again

Sounds like my marriage, only it was my husband who was the ovo-lacto vegetarian, and I who was the carnivore.

Well, I don't know where the Sofitel is, but in this town there are thousands of small ethnic restaurants that can easily accommodate you both, and right off the menu. Chinese, Japanese, Ethiopian, Italian, Mexican - they'll have vegetarian entrees for you. Oddly, it used to be at the really high-end places where we had difficulties, although I think that's now changed. And many of the new American cuisine restaurants serve a roasted vegetable entree, although that can get boring.

As long as you're willing to wander about and look at the menus posted in the windows, you can eat your way all around this town, and both be satisfied.

Hi H. du Bois,

Yes, I completely agree that it's the really expensive places I normally have trouble with and when all else fails we do Indian and Chinese - the're normally fairly reliable (although I have to say I've had a few unpleasant experiences in some Chinese restaurants with 'lurkers' in my meal :( . I have never tried Ethopian or Japanese partly because they are few and far between where I live and also because I was under the impression that Japenese is mainly fish - am I completely wrong? I would definately like to try Ethopian - any recommendations? We also like Mexican. Rather than walking around trying to find a place to eat (by which time we are mostly hungry!) I would like to have 'sussed' out where to eat beforehand. I would also like a 'normal' (ie non ethnic) restaurant for one of our meals. Sorry for rambling and hope I'm not asking too much.

By the way, the Sofitel is at 45 West 44TH Street - meant to include that info on my first post.

I think there's an Ethiopian restaurant on 9th Ave. in the high 40s - I'll have to ask friends I went with what the name is.

For Japanese, my husband used to order oshinko (pickled vegetables), sushi rolls made with cucumbers or pickles, miso soup (which is made from soybean products) and vegetable tempura. You can get vegetable udon - a soup made with buckwheat noodles - if they don't use bonito in the broth (bonito are fish flakes used for flavoring). All are delicious.

Near where you'll stay is a lunch cart you can check out, if you want a NYC street vendor experience. Moishe's (parked on the NE corner of 45th & 6th Ave. on weekdays) has great falafel.

She started being a vegetarian (eventually moving on to veganism) in her early teens. So this is going to be the first meat she's had in, like, seventeen years. And it's serious meat to boot.

So she's worried about how eating this meat might affect her, um, composure. Accordingly, she suggests we eat late and do the, um, intimate segment of the date before rather than after dinner. So I make the latest reservation possible at Wolfgang's (this is a weeknight).

Nevertheless, as often happens, we sort of lose track of time during the, um, intimate segment of the date. By the time we realize what time it is, it's, like, five or ten minutes before our reservation -- and we don't want to be very late because they'd already extended us the courtesy of accepting an extremely late reservation from us, later than they normally like to seat anyone.

So we rush over. We're in such a rush to get out that my date doesn't bother to put on any underwear, just throwing on a little black dress.

We're late, and Wolfgang's (Luger's epigone that it is) has a reputation for waiter gruffness. So I'm kind of apprehensive about what kind of reception we're going to get as we stroll in seconds before the kitchen is supposed to be closing.

Well, I'll tell you this. Waiters at Wolfgang's might normally be gruff. But if you want to get the most attentive, solicitous, nice service you could ever imagine, go there with (or as) a very beautiful young woman, wearing a little black dress with nothing underneath, who can say that this is the first time she's eating meat since she was a girl. They'll be eating out of your hand.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

Queen of Sheba it is, at 46th Street and 10th Avenue. These little ethnic restaurants aren't upscale, but the food can be very good (and far preferable to what's marketed and sold within the tourist ghetto).

Raji could probably steer you to the best Japanese food in the midtown area. He could probably also recommend more vegetarian dishes than I can think of off the top of my head.

Since you want to try something nice, normal and non-ethnic, I will suggest to you the restaurant responsible for the best NYC meal I experienced as a mixed couple: Union Square Cafe. Very good food, superb service. They'll take great care of you as a vegetarian - even if they don't offer much on the entree list, most of their appetizers are suitable for ovo-lacto vegetarians, and for an appropriate extra percentage, they'll make you entree sized portions of whatever you like.

She started being a vegetarian (eventually moving on the veganism) in her early teens. So this is going to be the first meat she's had in, like, seventeen years. And it's serious meat to boot.

So she's worried about how eating this meat might affect her, um, composure. Accordingly, she suggests we eat late and do the, um, intimate segment of the date before rather than after dinner. So I make the latest reservation possible at Wolfgang's (this is a weeknight).

Nevertheless, as often happens, we sort of lose track of time during the, um, intimate segment of the date. By the time we realize what time it is, it's, like, five or ten minutes before our reservation -- and we don't want to be very late because they'd already extended us the courtesy of accepting an extremely late reservation from us, later than they normally like to seat anyone.

So we rush over. We're in such a rush to get out that my date doesn't bother to put on any underwear, just throwing on a little black dress.

We're late, and Wolfgang's (Luger's epigone that it is) has a reputation for waiter gruffness. So I'm kind of apprehensive about what kind of reception we're going to get as we stroll in seconds before the kitchen is supposed to be closing.

Well, I'll tell you this. Waiters at Wolfgang's might normally be gruff. But if you want to get the most attentive, solicitous, nice service you could ever imagine, go there with (or as) a very beautiful young woman, wearing a little black dress with nothing underneath, who can say that this is the first time she's eating meat since she was a girl. They'll be eating out of your hand.

BRAVO!!!!!

My friends boyfriend (who's a vegatarian) only eats the meat I cook. ever. You'd never guess how jealous this makes both my boyfriend and his girlfriend :biggrin::biggrin: ...especially when he follows me around the kitchen. :wub:

And to be on topic.

Jean Georges, Cafe Gray, Atlier, Daniel, Bouley are just a few that would accomidate you in the high price range.

does this come in pork?

Fantastic recommendations - thank you!

I DEFINATELY want to try Queen of Sheeba, it looks really interesting. Can I ask, as I have never eaten Ethopian before, how would you describe the flavours? Spicy or not? Which cuisine is it most like, if any?

Union Square Cafe looks promising too - that desert menus looks fab!

I'm not too sure about Cafe Boulud, the menu on the website seems very fishy and there's probably one thing on there that DH would have, the rack of Lamb but that comes with salad which he's not really in to. I can't seem to find anything on their Vegetarian menu.

Daniels looks very promising and we may just opt for that as our 'splurge' meal. Anyone know if they do a regular Pre-fixe, the one on the website is for Restaurant Week and we especially like it so if there was something similar for the week we are there we would most likely opt for that.

If you have any more suggestions they would alos be appreciated!

Thanks

We will be in New York for a few days in December and would appreciate advice on eating there. My DH is a serious carnivore while I am a strict vegetarian (lacto-ovo-vegetarian to be exact). I do not eat meat, fish or cheese but will eat mostly any cuisine. My DH is not too keen on pasta but in the right mood is quite keen on a good pizza.

We are staying at the Sofitel so we are looking for recommendations of places relatively nearby for breakfast. For dinner / lunch we don't mind travelling a bit for nice food. We will be going to see The Lion King at the Minskoff Theatre on our last night so recommendations somewhere not too far away would be good. Also, I am keen to try Serendipity but it seems that you cannot make reservations - am I correct?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The place that seems to have been left out...if you're feeling like a splurge, of course...and can get a reservation....is Per Se. Aside from being one of the best restaurants in the city (and recipient of three Michelin stars), they also have an entirely vegetarian tasting menu every night, with nine courses of vegetarian goodness. You might want to check about their use of animal products in the cooking, but it's certainly a good way to go if you have to be a vegetarian (which those on this list know I don't like to condone).

Fantastic recommendations - thank you!

I DEFINATELY want to try Queen of Sheeba, it looks really interesting. Can I ask, as I have never eaten Ethopian before, how would you describe the flavours? Spicy or not? Which cuisine is it most like, if any?

If you have any more suggestions they would alos be appreciated!

Thanks

Oh! I just saw my name. Good thing I clicked in.

There's 2 Ethiopeans right by eachother, but Queen of Sheba is far far better than Meskerem.

Flavorwise it's very close to Southern Indian; geographically they're close and south indians look a whole lot like ethiopeans and vice versa. You'll see apps that are very similar to Indian. It's mild to spicy stews and whatnot, and it's all served on top of and with this tangy spongy bread. It's really great. You can ask/tell them how spicy to make it. I recommend you get a veggie combo and hubbie beef tibs or meat combo.

That said I suggest you go to Madras Mahal, Udipi Palace or another South Indian Vegetrian @ 28th and Lex. Madras Mahal is my favorite. Maybe they use more ghee than the others but their Mysore Masala Dosai, iddly's with dosaipodi, etc. cannot be beat. Even carnivores do not crave meat once they've eaten there.

Also at 30th and lex is a great Japanese wafuuchuka "Saburi", which is Japanese rendition of Chinese food, which i think would do really well for both of you. For him, I really recommend the Ebi Chili, Buta Kakuni, and one of their ramen - for you, get the hiyashichuuka and any of the number of veggie dishes. really delicious

I'd get Chinese @ Grand Szechuan @ 51st and 9th, there are plenty of vegeterian dishes mixed in with the rest of the superb sichuan cooking...

Japanese food is very condusive to vegetarians - meat, fish and poultry are for the most part used very deliberately and often scarcely...

As for Japanese

I'd hit Totto @ 55th between bway and 8th, you can get plenty of great veggie yakitori, rice and noodle dishes, etc.

Tsukushi @ 41st and 2nd is a great little hidden Japanese, no menu, so you can tell them this situation and they'll put together a great meal for you

Aburiya Kinnosuke is closer to you than Totto. He can dig on the many many fish options there, and once again, plenty of veggie, rice, and noodle dishes for you

Donburi-ya has great rice dishes (donburi)

As for izakaya that you've been hearing about, I guess Riki and Sakagura are the best, Ariyoshi, Hagi and Hizen are not bad at all

For lunch I'd hit Cafe Zaiya, Menchanko-tei,

I think a visit to a sushi bar is a waste...

Let me know if you need more...Really, midtown you will find the best assortment of Japanese restaurants outside of Japan.

That said I suggest you go to Madras Mahal, Udipi Palace or another South Indian Vegetrian @ 28th and Lex. Madras Mahal is my favorite. Maybe they use more ghee than the others but their Mysore Masala Dosai, iddly's with dosaipodi, etc. cannot be beat. Even carnivores do not crave meat once they've eaten there.

Are those places really non-dairy?

Some Carnivorous/Lacto-Ovo friends of ours always have their celebratory meals at Craft or Gramercy Tavern.

While well-known for it's artisanal hunks fo flesh, Craft is actually my vegetarian friend's favorite restaurant in Manhattan. Their "build-your-own" approach allows you to make a menu out of all sorts of vegetarian offerings, including a specific "mushroom" section of the menu.

Craft Dinner Menu

Gramercy Tavern's legendary customer service standards will ensure you have a seamless (and meatless) dining experience, as well. Just make a note when you make your reservation, and they should take care of you very well.

[edited to add menu link]

Edited by lizard (log)

Are those places really non-dairy?

Good point - south indian vegeteratian is strict - no meat, no fish, no eggs, but not non-dairy.

However, most of those dishes are non-dairy, or anything dairy is served on the side. Like those huge dosais are simply fermented rice and lentils ground into a crepe.. but they can be cooked in oil instead of ghee

As long as you tell them non-dairy, and not to use Ghee (clarified butter), you'll should be fine...

Ovo lacto vegetarians are the ones that do eat dairy products, so ghee wouldn't be a problem, as long as she likes it.

Grammercy Tavern and Union Square Cafe are both Danny Meyer restaurants, so that same dedication to service applies to each. You can't go wrong at any of his places.

Ethiopian food can be really spicy, but not all of it. It's very good!

WOW!! LOTS and LOTS of choices, I think my problem now will be trying to cut out places. I haven't had a chance to go through all your suggestions in detail yet but I have some initial questions ..... apologies in advance for so many questions!

LPShanet, thank you for your recommendation but I'm afraid dinner at Per Se is out of our budget, however, do you know the cost of lunch? Worth it? Examples of items on the menu?

Raji,

Firstly, we really LOVE indian food, and while, on my part at least, Madras Mahla's menu looks awesome, hubby is a pretty serious carnivore and I wouldn't feel that it was fair to take him to a purely vegetarian restaurant as he's not a big veggie fan - can you recommend any other 'normal' Indian / South Indian restaurant?

I really should have said when I posted that I don't eat chicken either and I'm not a fan of Tofu (feels too much like meat to me) and hubby isn't that into fish - sorry - that would have saved you some trouble. So I'm not too sure where that leaves us with the Japanese options??

Grand Szechuan's menu has my mouth watering - that one is a definate. I can't seem to find a menu for Totto or Donburi-ya or Cafe Zaiya though.

Lizard,

I really like the idea of 'build-your-own' in Craft, the mushroom selections sound very interesting.

If you're going more Ethiopian or Japanese, ignore this post, but if you'd like to go Italian or Fusion for a nice meal (not your "splurge"), try the Lidia Bastianich restaurants (my favorite is Felidia's, upper East Side) or the less formal J-G VonGerichten restaurants (my favorite is JoJo's, also UES) ... let both know when making the reservation and you'll be amazed ... at prices and value far better than Per Se, which is definitely a splurge (assuming you can get a reservation on short notice).

I'd have to second all the chinese, japanese recommendations. If you want to try something a littel unusual (and very inexpensive, aroung $10-20 per person), try Menchanko-Tei, perhaps for lunch rather than dinner. There are at least 2 of them in Manhattan, one around Lexington and 45th, and one on 55th between 5th and 6th. "Chanko" is a one pot stew, famous for being the major portion of the diet of Sumo wrestlers. They have both meat laden versions and vegetarian versions, and the base stew can be augmented by a large list of add-ons. Also, they have an extensive list of sakes, if you haven't been exposed to the variety of styles and tastes.

I used to alternate between chanko and sushi for lunch when I lived/worked in the city.

Enjoy!!

Edited by JasonZ (log)

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the recommendations. We will actually be in NYC for 4 nights so we will have plenty of time to try different cuisines and of course we're not opposed to good food accompanied with cheaper prices :biggrin: . I like the look of Jojo's menu but I can't seem to find one for UES - do you have a link by any chance? Meschank also looks good - a nice inexpensive way to try Japanese food for the first time!

One type of cuisine no-one has mentioned is Mexican - any recommended ones or no?

Again and again, thank you all.