• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Water Ganache

Desiderio

clever-frozen concentrated juice!! So then they obviously tasted more grapefruity. But no oil? How was shelf life?

I wanted to grind my peels to mix in powdered sugar and my coffee grinder ,quite new mind you, died!!! Any ideas? :hmmm:

Oh sorry - wrong oil. Would have been sunflower oil - equal to 35% of the cream I was replacing.

I just threw this together to glaze a flourless chocolate cake (and get rid of some triple sec that I bought by mistake):

60g unsweetened chocolate

60g bittersweet chocolate

90g sweet liqueur

20g water

30g glucose syrup

5g vanilla extract

1g salt

1g gelatin

-chop chocolate, set aside in a coverable bowl (steel or ceramic)

-bloom gelatin in the water, add to the liqueur along with the glucose, water, and salt in a saucepan

-bring liquids to a boil; pour over chocolate and cover for a few minutes

-stir until smooth; stir in vanilla extract and butter

Worked great! I won't learn anything about shelf life because it will be eaten tonight. And I won't get much useful feedback because the tasting panel will be blotto.

Notes from the underbelly

I just threw this together to glaze a flourless chocolate cake (and get rid of some triple sec that I bought by mistake):

60g unsweetened chocolate

60g bittersweet chocolate

90g sweet liqueur

20g water

30g glucose syrup

5g vanilla extract

1g salt

1g gelatin

-chop chocolate, set aside in a coverable bowl (steel or ceramic)

-bloom gelatin in the water, add to the liqueur along with the glucose, water, and salt in a saucepan

-bring liquids to a boil; pour over chocolate and cover for a few minutes

-stir until smooth; stir in vanilla extract and butter

Worked great! I won't learn anything about shelf life because it will be eaten tonight. And I won't get much useful feedback because the tasting panel will be blotto.

Should have a pretty generous shelf life with more booze than water. If I interpret correctly, Wybauw says that 15% of the liquid in a recipe as alcohol gives an almost indefinite shelf life.

Update: that ganache with the triple sec was really great. Intensely flavored and delicious. I found it very easy to glaze the cake with, and I have terrible cake decorating skills. It went on smooth, and stayed glossy after being chilled in the fridge and transported through a drizzly night and then sitting out on a platter for hours.

Update: I left out an ingredient. There's 30g butter stirred in at the end.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

• 5 years later...

I have had a request from someone who can't eat dairy for some water ganache. Has anyone got any suggestions for resources that I can look up on these? I've not made any water ganache so before so it's time to learn! :)

Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

• 2 years later...

Many moons have passed since this topic was first posted, then resurrected; what a good topic. Does anyone, who first posted, have any updates on the process/outcome of their experiments?

Philip

Edited by ptw1953 (log)

I made a whole series of 'water' ganaches when I was making truffles for a Niagara wine event. I had wines from a large number of wineries - did some experiments to see which chocolate they tasted best with - then made water ganaches replacing the water with wine. As mentioned earlier in this topic - I add a neutral oil as well to replace the amount of fat that would be found in the cream in a regular truffle. I found that grape seed oil was a good choice - no worries about allergies. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/13/2018 at 8:06 PM, Kerry Beal said:

I made a whole series of 'water' ganaches when I was making truffles for a Niagara wine event. I had wines from a large number of wineries - did some experiments to see which chocolate they tasted best with - then made water ganaches replacing the water with wine. As mentioned earlier in this topic - I add a neutral oil as well to replace the amount of fat that would be found in the cream in a regular truffle. I found that grape seed oil was a good choice - no worries about allergies. 

Did you use the greweling recipe as in your previous posts or something different? 

Think they were based on the liquor chocolate but I'm not entirely sure. Wait - checked my recipe file and indeed they were 

Water Ganache
  • 60 grams liquid
  • 30 grams neutral oil
  • 215 grams dark chocolate
  • 20 grams butter, at room temperature
  • 30 grams liquor
Have chocolate at about 30 degrees C and liquid at about 40 degrees C. Mix together, adding oil. An immersion blender will help if you are having trouble getting an emulsion. Add remaining ingredients.

26 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Think they were based on the liquor chocolate but I'm not entirely sure. Wait - checked my recipe file and indeed they were 

Water Ganache
  • 60 grams liquid
  • 30 grams neutral oil
  • 215 grams dark chocolate
  • 20 grams butter, at room temperature
  • 30 grams liquor
Have chocolate at about 30 degrees C and liquid at about 40 degrees C. Mix together, adding oil. An immersion blender will help if you are having trouble getting an emulsion. Add remaining ingredients.

Thanks Kerry!