• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Tandoor

Hi,

I thought some of you might be interested in this backyard Tandoor oven I made at my house.

Well, here it is in pictures:

tandoor1.jpg

Started with a base of firebrick. An inverted clay pot (the biggest one I could find), and cut off the bottom part. Reinforced the pot with fireclay mortar (in case the temps got too much for the pot; so far no cracks).

tandoor2.jpg

Now I have the pot enclosed in a square housing made of hollow blocks and insulated with perlite and sand (loose). It's important to insulate so the heat you worked so hard to accumulate does not escape. The "bricks" are just for decoration. They're not real bricks.

tandoor3.jpg

It's all done. It took me and 2 Masons 1 week to complete.

tandoor10.jpg

Here's the side vent for air (to keep the coals burning) and for cleaning out ashes.

tandoor4.jpg

The opening to stick the skewers in and cook the food.

tandoor5.jpg

My skewers and spit. All homemade (machine shopped).

tandoor6.jpg

A close up of my skewer and spit.

tandoor7.jpg

Getting the fire started :)

tandoor8.jpg

Full blast! 500 degrees Centigrade.

tandoor9.jpg

Well, hope you can come over for some Tandoor cooking! :)

Regards!

Edited by Obese-Wan Kenobi (log)

Nicely done and thanks for sharing! Have you used it yet? What are you using for fuel - obviously wood, but any particular kind?

What time is dinner? :biggrin:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Thanks!

I use charcoal for fuel. You can mix in wood for some smokey flavor. I've tried it a few times. I don't know how to say the variety in English. They are probably indigenous trees here.

I use it all the time! At least once a week. This Sunday I'll have some family over and I'll snap some shots.

Regards!

What a beautiful tandoor, I am very envious.

What have you made in it so far and how have you found using it? I think I remeber you saying you haven't made naan in the other tandoor thread as you are hesitant about sticking your hand into a 500 degree oven, maybe some full length heat proof gloves?

Thanks Gabriel,

You can do one too! It's worth the effort :)

I love using it! It's a great family/party centerpiece. Nice topic of conversation. Fast food. It takes about one and a half hours to get to temperature though. But a whole chicken cooks in 15 mins.

I've made ground beef and lamb sheesh kebab (the one you have to mold on the skewer), Tandoori chicken, Malai Chicken tikka, Tuna tandoori, Cambodian meatballs, whole garlic chicken on the spit, cochinillo on the spit, lechal on the spit.

Yes, I haven't stuck my hand in there. I tried but I can't last for more than 2 seconds. My arm hairs get burnt and it's way too hot. Even taking that picture was uncomfortable. I'll look for some full length heatproof gloves -- good idea!

Regards!

I just LOVE gadgets like that! That is amazing. I've always wondered how people get naan slapped on the inside of something so hot.

Just curious- is it a problem to have it so close to the house?

Jennifer

Episure,

Thank you for the advise. I will try that next time.

I can't remember the weight of the Lechal, but I would guess 3-4 kg.

jrobin,

It's no problem that close to the house. That is what the insulation is for. The heat stays within the confines of the pot and escapes only through the top hole. It gets hot around it, but it doesn't pass the hollow block housing. Do you notice that gas tank next to it? No problem as well.

Namaste.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...