• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Geary's Porter takes top spot

johnnyd

David L Geary Brewing Porter takes the top of the heap in a Porter Taste Challenge,

In fact, our No. 1 porter, which hit all the classic porter notes, was an American brew, Geary’s London Porter, from Portland, Me. It was dry and tangy, softly carbonated, with earthy coffee and espresso flavors, the kind of ale that I imagine I could enjoy immensely through an evening with friends.

Story here in NYT dining, 10/18/06

Visit D.L. Geary Brewing Co. in my foodblog: dining downeast from August 2005.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Another one mentioned is Otter Creek's Stovepipe Porter, a delicious brew I had the fortune of becoming intimate with during a maple syrup boil-down, years ago in Jericho, Vermont.

There were cases of it tucked into the snowbanks by a bonfire as we kept an eye on the "arch" where sap was slowly boiling down to syrup. We were there for three straight days feeding the arch's fire, listening to banjos and guitars. Endless pots of food would appear. Somehow, we never ran out of anything - that's yankee ingenuity for you! we all got a gallon of syrup each. :smile:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com