• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to next?

Chef José,

First off, let me say muchas gracias por la conversación. In addition to the many good things that have already been said about you and your restaurants, your willingness to spend so much of your time here answering our questions is yet another tribute to your comittment to sharing your love for and through your cocina. Thank you.

In the U.S., when people think of Spanish cuisine, the first thing that comes to mind is tapas. Also, even many who are a little more familiar with the richness and variety of Spanish cuisine know very little about the various regional traditions; instead, we often tend to think of Spanish cuisine as one monolithic entity and fail to grasp the ways in which la cocina gallega might be different from what one might find in Andalucía. When I speculate about the direction that Spanish cuisine in the U.S. will take in the future, I can see a couple of directions. One possibility is that tapas will remain king, but I wonder if perhaps regional cooking will come to the forefront, or if there is some other take on Spanish cuisine -- perhaps the nueva cocina -- will become the new face of Spanish cuisine in the U.S.

Do you have any predictions about the direction the Spanish cuisine will take in the U.S.? If you were able to influence the U.S. eating public in any direction you chose, in which direction would you lead us? Why?

Thank you again for your participation in this forum.

(Edited for grammar errors.)

Edited by K_A_S (log)

Chef José,

First off, let me say muchas gracias por la conversación. In addition to the many good things that have already been said about you and your restaurants, your willingness to spend so much of your time here answering our questions is yet another tribute to your comittment to sharing your love for and through your cocina. Thank you.

In the U.S., when people think of Spanish cuisine, the first thing that comes to mind is tapas. Also, even many who are a little more familiar with the richness and variety of Spanish cuisine know very little about the various regional traditions; instead, we often tend to think of Spanish cuisine as one monolithic entity and fail to grasp the ways in which la cocina gallega might be different from what one might find in Andalucía. When I speculate about the direction that Spanish cuisine in the U.S. will take in the future, I can see a couple of directions.  One possibility is that tapas will remain king, but I wonder if perhaps regional cooking will come to the forefront, or if there is some other take on Spanish cuisine -- perhaps the nueva cocina -- will become the new face of Spanish cuisine in the U.S.

Do you have any predictions about the direction the Spanish cuisine will take in the U.S.? If you were able to influence the U.S. eating public in any direction you chose, in which direction would you lead us? Why?

Thank you again for your participation in this forum.

(Edited for grammar errors.)

Well, Tapas are the way for Spansih chef to sell Spanish cooking.........................So I think tapas are here to stay...............! Thanks to tapas, we will be able to sell traditional, modern traditional, and Nueva Cocina too..........But more important all of this will happen because more ingredients will arrive from Spain in the next few years.........And this is important...The clementines you find every fall in the markets? From Spain............