• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemongrass

chappie

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post on about this, but I know it's probably one of the most read, so here goes:

We live in Maryland and both my dad and I have big clumps of lemongrass in our yards. I use it from time to time in cooking, grilling fish, etc. and for the past three years have forgotten to harvest it all before the first frost, which renders the stalks and leaves useless.

Does anyone have ideas for ways I could use large quantities of both the lower, oily stalk and the leaves? In the past I've ground up the leaves finely in a food processor as an ingredient in a rub for grilled fish.

What about green curry paste? I would love to make a ton of it and freeze it if possible.

If this would be best posted elsewhere, then please advise also. Otherwise, I look forward to your ideas.

[...]

If this would be best posted elsewhere, then please advise also. Otherwise, I look forward to your ideas.

You may want to post the question in the "Elsewhere in Asia/Pacific" forum. Lemon grass is not used in conventional Chinese cooking. It's much more common in Vietnam, Malaysia and other Southeast Asian countries.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Does anyone have ideas for ways I could use large quantities of both the lower, oily stalk and the leaves? In the past I've ground up the leaves finely in a food processor as an ingredient in a rub for grilled fish.

Chappie,

I am envious! I have to buy lemongrass in Asian stores. In one of the stores, they have packages of ground-up lemongrass. As you have done that before for a rub, you might want to do up packages of just ground up lemongrass and freeze them.

The ones I buy are in blocks about the thickenss and size of a sandwich. I usually chip off a chunk, thaw and use. It seems to retain the flavour.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Chappie,

I am envious! I have to buy lemongrass in Asian stores. In one of the stores, they have packages of ground-up lemongrass. As you have done that before for a rub, you might want to do up packages of just ground up lemongrass and freeze them.

The ones I buy are in blocks about the thickenss and size of a sandwich. I usually chip off a chunk, thaw and use. It seems to retain the flavour.

Easy to grow, if you have some garden space and live in the right zone. You can buy a fresh stalk, stick it in an inch of water in a glass for a couple of days, and it should start to sprout roots. Then shove it in the ground, water it from time to time, and you're done. It's not very ornamental, though.