• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
BryanZ

Espumas, spherications,...

Fogive me for being terribly reductionist, but I would say that the work of forward-thinking Spanish chefs in the field of molecular gastronomy/hypermodern cooking has had two major processes that have really changed the way many of us eat across the globe.

1) The creation of N2O espumas and lecithin-infused airs have fundamentally changed the way we think of the presentation of flavors. Traditionally heavy purees, sauces, etc ("tastes," to put it broadly) have been restructured toward lightness.

2) Gelifications and spherications of various methods have become quite the rage across the globe in the past couple years. From a presentation perspective alone, sphercation allow us to really see and taste the essence of food in a neat, compact, but novel package. Chef Adria is pushing forward in this regard as seen at the Spain's 10 Summit in NYC.

My question is, what's next? What watershed technique or process will next spring from the hypermodern kitchen to spark massive discussion among the world's dining community?

Fogive me for being terribly reductionist, but I would say that the work of forward-thinking Spanish chefs in the field of molecular gastronomy/hypermodern cooking has had two major processes that have really changed the way many of us eat across the globe.

1) The creation of N2O espumas and lecithin-infused airs have fundamentally changed the way we think of the presentation of flavors.  Traditionally heavy purees, sauces, etc ("tastes," to put it broadly) have been restructured toward lightness.

2) Gelifications and spherications of various methods have become quite the rage across the globe in the past couple years.  From a presentation perspective alone, sphercation allow us to really see and taste the essence of food in a neat, compact, but novel package.  Chef Adria is pushing forward in this regard as seen at the Spain's 10 Summit in NYC.

My question is, what's next?  What watershed technique or process will next spring from the hypermodern kitchen to spark massive discussion among the world's dining community?

I think we are in the process of looking back now to see and understand everything that has happen..........And the techniques you are talking about are only known to very FEW people like yourself......Still far away from really influencing a big number of people..............

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Okanagancook
      I was reminded the other day of the egg-in-plastic-wrap-poach method.

• By MSRadell
      GE is entering the SV field in an innovative way. They are doing a crowdfunding approach through one of their Innovation technology centers. The device itself is also innovative in that it uses a Inductive cooktop for the heating element with a wireless temperature sensor. It's also unique in that it does not include any type of water circulation.

Here's a link to the crowdfunding site: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/paragon-induction-cooktop/

What does everybody think about this entry into the field? If nothing else it certainly shows that SV has gotten the attention of major appliance makers. A few weeks ago GE also announced that one of their new lines of stoves will have the same type of temperature control as this device uses so you can do SV on your stovetop.

• By Luke
      I made the Creme Anglaise recipe from Myhrvold Modernist Cuisine - it did look curdled and lumpy coming out of the zip lock bag as described in the recipe.

I used my stick blender to smooth it out as instructed, but I think I blended it for too long, and it went from lumpy to smooth to watery. Did I make a fatal mistake of over blending the custard?

The recipe does not say how to blend or when to stop.

Hoping one of the gurus can give me guidance before I try this again.

Many Thanks
      Luke
    • By onemorebitedelara.com
      Has anyone used Valrhona Absolut Crystal neutral glaze particularly to thicken a coulis or to glaze a tart?  If so, how did you like it and is there another glaze you think worked as well but is less expensive or can be purchased in smaller quantities?  
    • By kostbill
      Hello.
      I would like to buy some pectinex ultra sp-l.
      However I am worried about the temperature during the shipping time.
      I read that the storage temperature should be between 2 and 8 C. It works best from 15 to 50 C, and if it stays a lot of time in 25 C, it will gradually be deactivated.

It needs a week to come here (Greece), then will it affect its abilities?

Do you know if I can find a document somewhere that explains the gradual loss of power as a function of time and temperature?
      Did you have any experience with pectinex not working well due to bad storage?

Thanks.