• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Espumas, spherications,...

Fogive me for being terribly reductionist, but I would say that the work of forward-thinking Spanish chefs in the field of molecular gastronomy/hypermodern cooking has had two major processes that have really changed the way many of us eat across the globe.

1) The creation of N2O espumas and lecithin-infused airs have fundamentally changed the way we think of the presentation of flavors. Traditionally heavy purees, sauces, etc ("tastes," to put it broadly) have been restructured toward lightness.

2) Gelifications and spherications of various methods have become quite the rage across the globe in the past couple years. From a presentation perspective alone, sphercation allow us to really see and taste the essence of food in a neat, compact, but novel package. Chef Adria is pushing forward in this regard as seen at the Spain's 10 Summit in NYC.

My question is, what's next? What watershed technique or process will next spring from the hypermodern kitchen to spark massive discussion among the world's dining community?

Fogive me for being terribly reductionist, but I would say that the work of forward-thinking Spanish chefs in the field of molecular gastronomy/hypermodern cooking has had two major processes that have really changed the way many of us eat across the globe.

1) The creation of N2O espumas and lecithin-infused airs have fundamentally changed the way we think of the presentation of flavors.  Traditionally heavy purees, sauces, etc ("tastes," to put it broadly) have been restructured toward lightness.

2) Gelifications and spherications of various methods have become quite the rage across the globe in the past couple years.  From a presentation perspective alone, sphercation allow us to really see and taste the essence of food in a neat, compact, but novel package.  Chef Adria is pushing forward in this regard as seen at the Spain's 10 Summit in NYC.

My question is, what's next?  What watershed technique or process will next spring from the hypermodern kitchen to spark massive discussion among the world's dining community?

I think we are in the process of looking back now to see and understand everything that has happen..........And the techniques you are talking about are only known to very FEW people like yourself......Still far away from really influencing a big number of people..............